Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

PT40 Tail-dragger & OS 46 AX issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Tribum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT40 Tail-dragger & OS 46 AX issues

While building my PT40 MkII, I am making provision to convert it to a tail-dragger in the future. The new Du-Bro “Super Strength” injection molded landing gear will provide a similar stance to the existing main gear. I understand that the center of the landing gear should be just forward of the LE. Should I use two 8-32 bolts with blind nuts forward of F2 or four 4-40 bolts straddling F2? Will strips of 3/8”x1/4” ply on the port and starboard side of both the battery bay and just behind F2 be adequate to carry the load?

I am using an O.S. 46AX but have run into a problem where the nose gear arm fouls the remote needle assembly. Can the remote needle be moved to the starboard side with a longer piece of fuel hose or is this a “tuned” length of hose?

Thanks
Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PT40 Tail-dragger & OS 46 AX issues

s far as landing gear is concerned, usually you want the center of the wheels to be at the leading edge or slightlly forward of that. Make sure they are toed-in about one degree each. The model should track dead straight with power off and rudder neutra.

There's no problem moving the remote needle. The fuel tubing isn't "tuned" in any way. Just don't make it too long, or you'll have a bit of delay between adjustments and when they take place.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Tribum

The only place I can mount the remote needle is behind the firewall which would involve extending the tubing by 1.5", do you see any problems with this?

I am considering using four 10-32 nylon wing bolts threaded into hardwood to secure the landing gear in the hopes of shearing the bolts rather than destroying the fuse in a bad landing. Is this wise or should I stick with four 4-40 steel bolts into blind nuts?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2004, 11:42 AM
Bax

Your mounting ideas for the engine and gear are OK. For the landing gear, either nylon bolts or the 4-40 metal will work. If you go with nylon bolts, don't use larger than #10. 1/4-20 nylon bolts will not likely shear.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM
Tribum

First of all thanks for all the help. Four more questions:

1) I would like to route the antenna inside the fuse. I have a Futaba R127DF FM Dual Conversion Receiver. If I were to run the antenna straight through the fuse and out the back, about 12” would hang outside the plane. Can I route the remaining 12” of antenna forward in the same guide tube or will it dramatically reduce the range?

2) I have four S3004 (44oz/in & 0.23 sec/60deg) servos and one High-Torque S3010 (72oz/in & 0.2 sec/60deg). Should I use the high torque on the rudder/steering gear or ailerons?

3) In the event that I do use two servos side by side for ailerons should the control horns be moved further out so that the control rods from the servos run fore aft when the ailerons are neutral? Do you have a kit with side by side aileron servos I can study?

4) I am building the wing with 2” of dihedral rather than the 5” for sport or 8” for the trainer. The washout remains the same on the sport and trainer dihedral, would this still be the case with 2” dihedral or should it be reduced and if so by how much?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Bax

This a duplicate post that was answered in another forum.