Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top-Flite T-34 mentor fuel tank position

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:59 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-Flite T-34 mentor fuel tank position

I am building a Top-Flite T-34 mentor and have came across 2 problems. I would like to know why the fuel tank is positioned up against the fire wall across the width of the plane, then the plans have you box the tank off so once it is in thats it there would be no more access to the tank. my thinking on this idea is if i am to have a fuel leak i would not be able to remove the tank to either replace the whole tank,lines or stopper. this seems like a bit of a stupid idea. the other thing i have noticed is if a builder is going to install flaps then the plans have you sheet the wing then hunt around for the correct location.
paul
Old 01-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite T-34 mentor fuel tank position

The fuel tank is located as it is because a different location would interfere with the nosegear retract unit and wheel. It's in a sealed compartment because you's have to make a non-scale hatch to get at it in the future. The main thing is to get the tank assembled correctly in the first place, and make sure it's a good-quality tank that's not likely to leak.

As far as the flaps are concerned, the building technique is very normal, and done on many, many models. No "hunting around" is needed. To build the flaps straight, without a twist, they are built as part of the wing and then cut free. You just measure carefully, and cutting the flap free is not at all difficult.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:24 PM
pauluk2w

ORIGINAL: Bax

The fuel tank is located as it is because a different location would interfere with the nosegear retract unit and wheel. It's in a sealed compartment because you's have to make a non-scale hatch to get at it in the future. The main thing is to get the tank assembled correctly in the first place, and make sure it's a good-quality tank that's not likely to leak.

As far as the flaps are concerned, the building technique is very normal, and done on many, many models. No "hunting around" is needed. To build the flaps straight, without a twist, they are built as part of the wing and then cut free. You just measure carefully, and cutting the flap free is not at all difficult.

So if it is normal to build the flaps this way why is it that the top-flite DC-3 kit has you build ther flaps in a different manner infact if i remember correctly the flaps are built seperatly.

alos i dont care what tank you buy you can still get a leak. dont get me wrong i love the T-34 kit and have enjoyed building it i am just trying to understand why these parts are placed/built in the way they are.
another thing i dont understand is why in the instructions on the T-34 kit it states you do not need to use any glass to strengthen the wing?
thanks for your help Bax
paul
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Bax

The DC-3 uses a split flap, the T-34 does not. The differences in the type of control surface necessitate different construction methods.

Again, the fuel tank was located as it was to clear the retractable gear. Keeping scale looks prevents easy access.

When built dead-stock, to the plans, the wing is plenty strong and doesn't need additional reinforcement. "Glassing" a wing isn't necessary if it's designed not to need it. Adding fiberglass reinforcement will only add weight and not really contribute much.

Old 01-05-2005, 05:50 PM
pauluk2w

Thanks Bax you have answered my questions and these things make a lot more sense now. I guess it's like anything if you don't ask then you will never know.
paul
Old 01-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Bax

Glad we can help.