Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flite DC-3 middle wing top spar?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:56 PM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite DC-3 middle wing top spar?

I asked this question in kit building and they said I should go to you guys. Concerning the middle wing spars. The lower spar looked ok until I took the assy off of the board. It's about 1/32" below the ribs. The top spar is worse sitting almost a full 1/16" above the ribs. The thing that makes this difficult is I glued the spars in place - being that the instructions have been dead on and all die cut parts perfect I didn't think twice about this condition. I thought that the sheeting was to butt against the spar and not go over it. I went paging through the plans only to find the sheeting goes over the spars[]. If I would have known about this I would have trimed things to get the spars to fit better. The only option I have is to make the sheeting process more difficult and butt it against the spar "if that's ok". Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Deltatech
Old 02-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite DC-3 middle wing top spar?

The object is to have a smooth contour on the wing. If the spar isn't fully-seated in the ribs, but is proud of the top surface, then some strength may be lost because some gluing surface is lost. The spars should be flush with the tops of the ribs and the sheeting over it. This would give the full strength of the wing, having the maximum gluing surface as well as the doubled effect of the sheeting over the spars.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM
deltatech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great advice considering I said that I already glued it down!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We did state that some strength may be lost. If you can work around your difficulty, it may not matter.