Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Problem with TF GS P47

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 07:16 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem with TF GS P47

I am concerned about a couple of problems I am having with the Topflite Giant P47:

1. The wing bolt plate. The wing plans and manual show the holes as being staggered, i.e one is at the front of the plate and the other to the rear.
The problem is that the fuz plans show the mounting points for the bolts as being in line. This is also shown later in the manual pg 46-9 & pg48-10
What is the correct location?

2. Wing Jigs. I am about to sheet the bottom of the wing and using the supplied jigs there is a problem. The manual states to place the rear centre brace under the wing bolt place ply brace. when I do this the centre and tip jigs are then not straight to the building board by a considerable amount.
To get everything lines up I had to move the rear centre jig right back onto the trailing edge of the wing.
Am I doing something wrong here?

appreciate some advice as I am obviously missing something here.
thanks
Peter
Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Problem with TF GS P47

1) As long as the bolts are well inside the edges of the mounting plates, you'll be OK. If you center the bolts on the plate, it's probably the best. We'd not know why the drawing is the way it is. It was done a number of years ago, and the people who did the design work are no longer with the company.

2) If the wing doesn't lay down properly on the jigs when they are postioned in the correct locations, either your building surface isn't flat and true, or you wing has unwanted twist. It should lay flat on the jigs when they are located correctly.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Problem with TF GS P47

Bax,
many thanks for your reply.

1. Have simply drilled another hole in the rear postion to correspond with the other side - suggest a Tech notice be issued for this error.

2. Nope the building board is a new internal door and is true, no warps, twists at all. The wing appears to have no twist and I have had some feedback from other forum users who have built this kit and they have said they had to shim up the other 4 jigs - which is the same as moving the rear centre jig backwards.

Now as the wing is true in the centrre where the halves are joined and as the halves each have exactly the same issue if that rear jig is in the stated postion this then leads me to beleive there is a problem with the rear jig and it needs to be modified.

Now if I postion the rear centre jig to the trailing edge and also move the centre jigs from where they sit approx half way along the wing and move them towards the root whilst observing the bottom of the jig with respect to the building the bord it reamains parallel to the board the whole way i.e no wing twist.

Strongly suggest this be rectified and atech notice issued as I am sure there are many people who have pulled their hair out over this or have built a twisted wing as a result. I know of one young guy who did have both halves badly twisted and this would be why.

thanks
Regards
Peter