Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

First Warbird Kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 02:13 PM
mimhoff
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Warbird Kit

I am planning on building one of the Top Flight Gold Edition warbird kits for a winter project. Like most I have always wanted to have a scale warbird in their hanger. I do not really have a love affair with any particular model and I am a fairly new builder (2 kits) and flyer (9 mos).

I have looked at the Spitfire/Sea Fury/P-51/P-47/P40 -- they all are very attractive airplanes and I think I would be happy with any of them. Is the skill level to build each of these airplanes about equal or are some more difficult to build than the others. I prefer not to build the P-51 because everybody and their dog seem to have one but will consider it if is a "easier" build. I have also been eyeing the T-34B Mentor -- like the large wingspan and what appears to be an easy color scheme.

Any advice on planes I should avoid or gravitate toward given my building and flying experience??

Thanks.

Mark
Old 10-03-2005, 11:05 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: First Warbird Kit

For all of the Top Flite Gold Edition spoert scale aircraft, the skill level of construction is about the same. If you've built another model or two, you should have no particular difficulties with the build. Just pick the one you like best. They all fly very well if they're straight and within the weight guidelines.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
mimhoff

Thanks Bax--

I appreciate the quick response. I just didn't want to choose a kit and then find out it is the most difficult kit you make. My new problem now is which one to choose -- but that is a good problem.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:21 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look through the warbirds and kit building forums for a thread on one of the TF kits and follow the experiences of those that have gone before. I have been following the TF Spit build by Tubig. Great info there! My plane wouldn't be nearly as good without his thread. I'm sure you will be able to find several build threads to give you a direction to choose.

Scott.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:48 AM
mimhoff

Thanks Scott--

Good idea. Excellent idea. Think I will review some TF build threads before I buy. I was kinda leaning toward the Spitfire -- I think it is one of the most beautiful warbirds I have seen. The only plane I have ruled out so far is the P-51 -- and only because of its extreme popularity. I suspect following an existing build thread would be a huge help.

Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:44 AM
jamie_duff

I have the Gold Edition P-47 which was the first "big" warbird model I'd flown at the time. (Only previous warbird attempts were far too small to be any use)

I found the P-47 to be easy and enjoyable to build and it demonstrates no particular vices from a flying point of view. I build mine with simple Robart retracts and flaps, all pretty much as per the plans and it all works nicely. It's no competition winner, but I learned a lot about building flying scale models and it's good fun to fly after a short while (ie once the heart rate returns to something near normal!)

If you've no experience with high wing loadings I'd suggest you find something quick and cheap to build and fly about to experience the new characteristics these models display. In particular, they glide like bricks (and that includes throttling back to land) so you need to be prepared for that and remember to control your decent with power, not elevator.

That said, I found the P-47 to be very well behaved considering the wing loading, and in particular the flaps really help slow the pace to help you execute controlled landings. The P-47's stall is pretty predictable and civil, and whilst it tends to roll slightly at the break, it happens slowly enough to let you take correcting action.

What mine will do is drop a wing ever so slightly in turns when flying slow (ie finals). When a wing starts to drop, you must remember to release some back pressure on the elevators and click the throttle fwd a touch before using the ailerons to pick up the wing. Even if you don't drop the nose and the aircraft remains partially stalled, the roll is quite slow.

I would definately recommend the P-47 kit to anyone looking to get started in Warbird modelling, but with that I'd strongly suggest getting some stick time on a moderately powered model with a higher wing loading than the usual trainers and aerobatic sport models. I did this with a Precedent Lo-Boy model, which served the purpose beautifully, but is no longer in production.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 PM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a big fan of their kits myself and am building a Top Flight P-40 at the moment.

If your interested....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8770455/tm.htm

from all that I've gleaned from the web, perhaps the P-47 is the best for a beginner to start with. Seems to be a stable,rock steady, easy to fly bird with no bad habits. Cant say that for the P-40, and I've not flown all of the other Top Flight kits(yet!)

Casey