Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

GP J3 Cub Cowl-Can't be right?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 09:23 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP J3 Cub Cowl-Can't be right?

Am well along into building a GP 40 size J3 Cub and tonight I decided to see how the cowl fits. When I first saw the cowl after getting the kit I thought it looked rather small but didn't dwell on it. When I look at the plans measurements and try to fit the cowl there is no way it will slide on to come anywhere close to fitting over the firewall/nose sheeting without being at least a half inch too shortfrom top to bottom to also fit the front underside of the fuse. I've built a few planes before (with cowls) and haven't seen anything like this before. Could it be that the incorrect size cowl was included in the kit? It almost looks like the size for a .25 plane. Wll talk to LHS about it but have found in the past that RCU was THE place to go for advice. Anyone seen this problem(?) before?
Old 10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Norm Nestie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GP J3 Cub Cowl-Can't be right?

Wow, must be a really obscure/unheard of kit./
Old 10-27-2005, 04:16 PM
jagnweiner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not an obscure kit. I think this particular forum doesn't get a whole lot of traffic.

Sounds like they put the wrong size cowl in. Like you say, probably the .20 version. I built the GP .60 Cub. My kit had two of one of the plywood sheets and none of another. I called GP and they sent me the correct piece immediately. Give them a call or e-mail them and they will send you the right part free of charge.

Or you could do what I did and ditch the plastic cowl altogether. I decided I didn't want to try to assemble the multi-piece plastic cowl so I ordered a one-piece fiberglass cowl w/ dummy engines from Stan's Fibertech. It was about $30.

Have fun,
Scott
Old 10-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's possible your kit got the wrong cowl included.

Please contact:

[email protected]

to get a new cowl