Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

GP Cap 232 40 Wing Root Spacers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Cap 232 40 Wing Root Spacers

I purchased this kit second hand. It had been started a couple years ago by someone else. Unfortunately I've inherited some mistakes in the construction. Primarily, the wing assembly was nearly completed. The former builder did not use the dihedral gage to set the spar locations or to correctly set R-2. It also looks like he built both wing halves on the same side of the plan. I've managed to splice in a piece of 5/16" basswood to get the spar locations correct, and I have successfully joined the wing halves with the correct dihedral using the jigs. I'm getting ready to start assembling the fuselage (nothing glued yet), and I'm trying to plan out the wing installation.

Here's the problem. R-2 on one side is close to the correct angle, but the other side is WAY off (may be up to 1/4" - won't know till its test fit). Should I plan on using a thicker balsa block for the wing root spacer to correct for the screwed up R-2, or would I be better off building up from R-2 with some balsa "ribs" and a piece of sheeting? A thicker balsa block will probably give me a better finished appearance, but the buildup method would likely be lighter and require less sanding.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-16-2005, 11:08 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: GP Cap 232 40 Wing Root Spacers

Basically, whatever works. If the actual structure's not compromised, it will make little difference, unless the weight gets out of hand.