Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top-flite spitfire wing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Ispitfire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top-flite spitfire wing

Hi there, I am just at the stage of putting the top main spar in the left(first) wing. When I try putting it in, to actually get it to contact all the formers I have to bend it because some of the formers are too big, is this normal? I have tried sanding some of the offending formers so that the spar fits flush with the top of each but i still have to bend it??????????????? any help appreciated, cheers
Old 02-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top-flite spitfire wing

First off, you must have the ribs accurately and securely pinned to the plans per step 3 under "Build the Outer Wing Panels" on page 17. Short of any defects, the alignment will take care of itself.

At any rate, the top of the wing spar must be flush with the top of the wing ribs. If it stands proud of the ribs, you may have to deepen the notches. If the notches are too deep, you need to glue the spars to the sides of the notch so that the top of the spar is even with the top of the ribs.

Basically, you do what it takes to make the top of the spar flush with the top of the wing ribs.