Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Corsair Ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 AM
guylookingup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Corsair Ailerons

Hello!

I recently purchased Top Flite's Giant Scale Corsair kit and was curious as to whether or not "internal" pushrods could be used for aileron control. On the plans, the pushrods are shown coming out of the lower wing and connected to control horns mounted on the lower side of the ailerons. For a more scale appearance, I would prefer to not have the pushrods or servo arms visible by having them totally inside the wing. On the same aircraft plans, the Corsair's flap servos and control rods/horns ARE "internal". They look great this way!

Just curious...Thank you for your information!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Corsair Ailerons

Because the flaps are bottom-hinged, it's much easier to install hidden pushrods. When you have a control surface that must move up and down, instead of just down, the control hookup gets a bit more problematic. Even on full-size aircraft, the pushrod may be internal, but the hinges are external, though in fairings in modern aircraft.

You'd have to work this out on your own. We don't have a method to suggest. Take a look through the resources on the full-size Corsair to see if you can find details of the control geometry. Very likely, you'll have a very different hinge setup and different shapes to the leading edges of the ailerons.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:24 AM
guylookingup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Giant Scale Gold Corsair Ailerons

Thank you for the information, Bill. I will take a look at the real Corsair and see if it is possible to model this. If nothing else, it will be an interesting mental exercise to think about. Not building it for a few more months, so I have some time to think about it.

Thanks again!