Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF Arrow Muffler Install.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 03:22 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Arrow Muffler Install.

I am building the TF Piper Arrow. I purchased the Tower Hobbies .61 engine along with the muffler that they recommend. I have follow the kit instructioins to the T. There is no way that the muffler that they recommend is going to fit and remain inside of the cowling. Unfortunately the TF muffler that mounts on the firewall will not fit the Towers engine. The other muffler that they are offering is the Bisson. There is not enought room under the engine and the nose gear mount for the muffler to fit. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
chopper man
Old 08-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: TF Arrow Muffler Install.

Well, nobody in the Top Flite R&D team ever mounted a Tower Hobbies engine in any of the Top Flite Piper Arrow kits they built during development, so they don't know how the fit would go. The Top Flite in-cowl muffler doesn't bolt to the engine, but bolts to the mount/firewall. You use a header to connect the muffler to the engine. The header only fits an O.S. or SuperTigre engine without the modeler having to make any modifications. It would not be too difficult to fabricate a header to work.

We don't know about a Bisson muffler. Getting it to fit may be problematic.

The engine and muffler shown in the instructions work out very nicely.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:40 PM
chopper man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I'm just a little confused as to why Tower Hobbies would sell you the pitts muffler with the Towers engine in their combo kit if the combination does not fit. Do you have any suggestions as to how I my modify my set up to be able to install the Top Flite muffler. Any idea as to what header will fit the Towers engine. Then I may be able to couple the header to the Top Flite muffler if nessary. I'm on a limited budget and don't want to have to go buy the OS engine.
Thanks for the help.
Gene
Old 08-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We'd not know why Tower would make the recommendation they did. You'd have to ask them.

To use the Top Flite in-cowl muffler, you'd have to fabricate your own header, or modify the one that fits the O.S or SuperTigre engine.