Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Surface deflection in degrees?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 08:05 AM
rcwarbirdman
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surface deflection in degrees?!

Would it be possible for your instruction sheets/booklets to have both inch/mm deflection information for moving surfaces AND the amount in DEGREES. This is something very easy to do and will also stop any confusion on where to measure the deflection from if the surface isn't square. A lot of people are now building/making their own deflection meters using degrees, and I can see the benefits. I have now built my own, but how do you convert your measurements into degrees?!?!

Regards, Dean.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:16 AM
treedog

Default RE: Surface deflection in degrees?!

Some 1 correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think it's that simple to do. take a protractor and draw a line at whatever degree mark u need and then measure that from different lenths out from the center of the circle. see what happs it gets longer the farther out u go. therefore the wider the rudder or aileron the more the deflection will be.
there's probably a formula but i do'nt have it and i flunked geometry and spelling in hs
Old 09-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, the conversion is easy, but you'll need a trig table or calculator.

You use the formula: arcsin(deflection/chord of surface) = angle of deflection

So if you have an elevator that has a chord of 3" at the point of measurement, and you want to deflect it 1.5", then:

arcsin(1.5/3) = arcsin(0.5) = 30 degrees
Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Jim_McIntyre

Gradeschool math in my day ... or use a protractor.