Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

80" Fabric covered Piper Cub

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:52 AM
dhillfolk
My Feedback: (195)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80" Fabric covered Piper Cub

Having some success with larger elec powered models, I thought this newly advertised cub would make a good addition to that venue, so I ordered one from Tower.
I've been in this hobby for 56 yrs, a retired mech eng, and feel I know what to expect in the way of acceptable & non acceptable designs whereby I'm posting this to express what is a non-acceptable, non-safe design with this aircraft .
1. Wing struts----fastened in wings & fuse w/ #4 wood screws---???? who designed this & will assume liability when this attachment departs & the plane injures something or someone ???
The manual stresses need for the struts to be attached while flying.

2. Esthetics--among the hype on the box includes " built just as if you yourself were designing it" or something to that effect---check out the means of attaching the the lower portion of the landing gear fairing/covers---with a rubber band ???---I notice that didn't appear in the photo on the box !

I'm going to see if I can return this poorly designed model to Tower for a refund (unless I have to pay ship) as I have read Great Planes disclaimer in the manual & do not want to accept "the liability associated with the use of this product"
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 80" Fabric covered Piper Cub

We've not had any report of the wing struts causing difficulties with the model. When assembled per the instructions, they're fine and hold up quite well.

The rubber band attachment of the lower-end of the landing gear fairing allows the landing gear to move on landings without damage to the fairing.

These are not indications of "poor design", but one way the construction of the model was approached. There are many ways to reach the same end result, and the designer of this model chose ways that you diagree with.

Please realize that the model is not a 100% scale model, but a sport-scale model. Deviations from scale have been made to deliver a good-flying model.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
dhillfolk
My Feedback: (195)

The wing attachment used will be subject to assembly & dissasembly for transportation---if you are at all expirenced with anything mechanical, you know these threaded holes in the wood are subject to cross threading & thread deteriation everytime the #4 self tapping screw enters & departs, CA coated or not.
This type of attachment is meant for cowls & canopys---not structural assemblies that are frequently dissasembled.
Quite honestly, I think your reply is that of a salesman "trying to sweep a problem under the rug"
Your mention of this not being a scale model also shows you have no knowledge of the hype associated with advertising this model , being one reason I foolishly purchased it, & of course there have been no problems associated w/ the strut attachment because it just hit the market.
I have little concern about what will happen to the model I have as I know how to properly compensate for these undesirable structural designs, but what about those who don't have a clue ?-----maybe even some salesmen ?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:43 PM
tchant
My Feedback: (86)

I have flown this model for many hour of enjoyment , I have a e-flight 46 with a castle 60 amp controller on 5cell 5000 mah lipo , it flys and flys and flys and on floats it flys it flys offof snow i have loved it from the begening , you need to love it get it flying and stop thinking so much it just works , go fly it stop crying and get after it Tom Chant !!!