Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

PT-40 WIng Kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
flyingfever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PT-40 WIng Kit

I am assembling a PT-40 wing kit, (B-style) that I purchased to replace the A-style wing I built with the original complete kit.

I have a question regarding the rear center rib #1C.

By the plans, it seems this rib should fit down flush with the tops of the AJ and TEJ, and the underside should be up, flush with the bottoms of AJ and TEJ. This would allow the 3/32" sheeting to lay flat in these areas.

However, the rib #1C is too tall to hold flush as described above. It fits flush with the tops and bottoms of the main spar and trailing edge.

Please explain how I should proceed.

Thanks,

Fever
Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: PT-40 WIng Kit

Just build it per the plans. The sheeting will be proud of the surface. You'll see that when you examine the cross-sections.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:29 PM
flyingfever

Bax:

I must be dull.

I attach a photo of the plans that came with my wing kit. The sheeting on both the top and the bottom of the wing is shown recessed so that the sheeting is flush with the top and bottom of leading and trailing edges.

Perhaps there is a different set of plans?

'Fever
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67853.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1024762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35704.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1024763  
Old 09-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmmm...OK, I was looking at the manual, not the plans, and examining the pictures. Did you make sure you have the correct ribs installed where the sheeting goes? I see on the manual (the correct one, this time) that you must shim the ribs on the bottom to allow for the sheeting. This would also mean that the ribs should be flush with the top of the spar so that the sheeting will go on properly.

Please double-check what parts you used against the plan drawings and parts locator in the manual.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:40 PM
flyingfever

Bax:

The instruction manual I am working with is #PT24P03 V1.2.

I find nothing in this manual that shows the wing sheeting to be anything but flush with the tops and bottoms of leading and trailing edges. Flush with the main spars too.

I attach a photo of the plans with the die cut sheet that held the #1C rib laying over the wing cross-section. You can see the outlines of the wing sheeting fall inside the cut-out of the rib. The rib is the right length to fit just inside the joiners, (aft of spar and forward of trailing edge) but the rib is too tall to hold flush with tops and bottoms of joiners as instructed on page 31 of the manual.

I also include a photo of the instruction manual page that shows a die cut sheet #PT4BF08, with rib #1C. Note that this sheet was not included in the wing kit that I have. My wing kit has a sheet #PT4BW10, (see photo included here) that held the wing ribs #1C. Maybe that is the problem?

'Fever
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95856.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1025462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76833.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1025463   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot46735.jpg
Views:	26