Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

T-REx head conversion

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

T-REx head conversion

Old 03-09-2007, 10:05 PM
outtamyway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-REx head conversion

Has anyone else tried the T-rex head conversion that Quickster47 did? I just ordered some Titanium for a main shaft and I might as well make the switch at the same time. Anyone know the diameter of the T-rex shaft?

Another Mod I want to work on is a shaft drive tail. Has anyone noticed that the frame looks like it was designed for it? The tail boom comes in at just the right height and there are even molded supports to support the boom much closer to the main shaft.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:57 AM
quickster47

Default RE: T-REx head conversion

Main shaft used by the TRex and most other mini helis is 5mm so you will need to order some 5x11mm thin bearings from BocaBearings. This is what I ordered, http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.as...id=287&n=MR685

As for a tail drive shaft, I have a couple of Falcon 3Ds and both a Shogun V1 and V2 and am looking at adapting one of them to a Helimax. The Shogun V1 is just about right but the Falcon has better fit on some of the pieces. Of course, it is still going to be custom no matter which way you go.

Carl

ORIGINAL: outtamyway

Has anyone else tried the T-rex head conversion that Quickster47 did? I just ordered some Titanium for a main shaft and I might as well make the switch at the same time. Anyone know the diameter of the T-rex shaft?

Another Mod I want to work on is a shaft drive tail. Has anyone noticed that the frame looks like it was designed for it? The tail boom comes in at just the right height and there are even molded supports to support the boom much closer to the main shaft.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 AM
outtamyway

Thanks for the tips Carl. I just ordered an Esky Cool to canabalize for shaft drive components and I'll throw the Bell Hiller head on the Axe as well. BPHobbies is getting rid of the cool airframe kits for $75 so I figured it would be cheaper than buying the parts piecemeal. I think that head has a 5mm shaft also, so I will either be turning a stepped shaft, boring the inside of the head out to 6mm, or replacing the bearings and using a 5mm shaft.

At what point do I consider myself insane for tearing apart a brand new helicopter so I can make my Axe look like the new helicopter?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
quickster47

For me, and probably yourself as well, it was when I clicked the "Finalize Purchase" button. It was all over then.

I was flying FrankenAxe today and even though there were 9 to 15 MPH gusts the little guy was doing really well. That is, until that 15 MPH gust got hold of it and off it went. "Houston, we got a problem." Nearly had it back under control but then the wind completely stopped on me and in it went, upside down, right on its' little TRex head into the tarmac. Ouch, ouch, ouch. Major damage.

But I do want to say this, what a difference it makes in the way the Axe flies. It is like a completely different heli. Hmm, actually I think it might be. Hence my moniker of FrankenAxe.

Do keep me posted of your progress. I have a couple more pictures to post later on.

Carl
Old 03-11-2007, 02:45 PM
outtamyway

The way I figure, If it has a purple tail boom then it is still an Axe.

So FrankenAxe is certified to 14.5mph; that last .5mph gust did it in. What sized rotors are you swinging and do you know how many rpm?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
quickster47

ORIGINAL: outtamyway
The way I figure, If it has a purple tail boom then it is still an Axe.
Okay, I can go with that requirement.

I am using an EFlite 4100kv brushless, cause I had it laying around, with a 13t pinion and running the OEM blades right now. At hover I think my head speed was about 2100RPM. It had great perfomance with an excellent climbout. And with the TREC and GY240 the tail was holding very good. I'm running a GWS motor with the direct drive tail blades.

Yep, the GY240 was good for 14.5mph wind but not 15.0mph. Who woulda thunk that .5 would make such a differnce.

I am looking at that Cool frame right now and trying to restrain my mouse finger. [>:]

Carl
Old 03-11-2007, 03:57 PM
outtamyway

You are using the 370 4100kv? I have one of those laying around and just ordered a 400 size 3900kv outrunner.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:04 PM
quickster47

Yep, I'm runnin the Park 370 Brushless Inrunner Motor rated at 4100Kv.

Seems to do quite okay.

Carl