Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

DX7 install/program for AXE CP... Please!

Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

DX7 install/program for AXE CP... Please!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 PM
r_william

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 install/program for AXE CP... Please!

Hello all,

I'm on my 8th week with the AXE CP as a first Heli and, like many, with years of "other" r/c experience in air, land, and sea.
Despite my small mishaps, I'm still enjoying it and planning my forward migration towards a 450 class.
Most of these mishaps were the result of the "jumping" so many of us have experienced... many times I could recover, a few I couldn't.

So I'm planning to remove all doubt as to the "glitching" by removing the stock radio equipment and replacing them with the DX7/AR6100/DS285 combo (servos should fit). (Note: not planning to remove/replace the 3in1... yet)

I have searched and read where people say you have to go separates to do this and I have read where others say it just dropped in. I'm hoping now that more time has passed since the AXE's intro to market and more people have them that someone will revisit this and give me some new information or first hand experience and help with basic program values.

I understand those who would say the AXE is not worth upgrading, but I plan to reuse everything (except servos maybe) on a future model.
Next I would consider adding the HH 401/tail ESC upgrade.

All these skills learned to install, set-up, modify, etc. the electronics would also transfer with the hardware and seems very logical and economical to me.

Thanks in Advance for any help offered...RWW

Old 03-04-2008, 08:20 AM
MMatheny

Default RE: DX7 install/program for AXE CP... Please!

Better search some threads - I think that one of the 2.4g RXs is not compatible with the 3n1, either Spektrum or Futaba. Something to do with the pulse width I think.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:08 PM
mydartswinger

I have installed a DX7 in my AXE CP, and had no issues doing so. In the AXE CP, the RX is separate from everything else. Just remove the RX and drop in the Spektrum RX. I would, however, reccomend having someone experienced with setting up a new radio in a heli help you out with the programming and initial trimming, as it will take a lot of it. Once set up, it will be a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:50 PM
r_william

Thanks for the responses MM & MDS.

It has been about three weeks since I received my DX7/AR6100/3xDS285 combo.

Since then I have been learning how to set up and program a CCPM heli from the ground up.

I have replaced all the stock electricals except the two motors and the 3 in 1 board.
The install went very smoothly. Servos dropped right in. All systems working properly!

The only issue I had was that the [JR] servo's wire is shorter than the stock ones.
I was able to route the wires the way I wanted to, but just barely.
Another inch or two of wire would be great (but that reduces profit margins).

The only mistake I made (initially) was to set up the servo centering and swashplate level & travel centering
with the throttle/collective stick at 0% instead of 50%.

While correcting this I decided to convert the three swash control links at the servo horns to ball links.
I would recommend this very cheap, very easy mod. to all!

Before this mod. I could put my finger on the anti-rotation shaft, at the rear of the swash, and move it around about +/- 1/16 of an inch in all directions.... now, it's darn near rock solid!

To do it I bought:
Dubro ball links; some threaded rod; and a set of spare (HeliMax) seesaw - to - blade grip links (for proper fit to swash).
I mounted the Dubro balls to the swashplate servo horns... on one end of the treaded rod is the Dubro ball socket... and on the other is one of the spare stock links (to connect to swashplate).

It really wasn't difficult to convert the links and learning the DX7 is really easy.
I am still tweaking the pit. & thro. curves but it really is more fun now with the programming flexibility.

Now I have a GY401 awaiting install and can't wait to add that experience to my "toolkit" as well!

RWW
Old 03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
skywaterbanjo

RWW,

I just made the jump to a 450 class from the CP. I still want to use the CP and use the dx7 I bought for the 450. I bought a AR6100 rx and want to install that in the CP.

Do I need to change out the servos or can I use the existing?

Where did you start to learn the programming for the CP?

Any photos of the ball link mod you did and, what did that do for you?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:32 AM
mydartswinger

ORIGINAL: skywaterbanjo

Do I need to change out the servos or can I use the existing?
I had no issues using the existing.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:12 AM
r_william

SWB,

Sorry for the delayed response....

I replaced my stock servos with the ds285's because they came witht the DX7.

So I have not personally used the ar6100 with the stock servos. But they will work.

The ball links remove all the play in the servo horn-to-cotrol rod interface. The servo horn hole(s) wear and become enlarged and distorted during use and mis-use [crashes!] allowing more play to develop.
Put your finger on the anti-rotation shaft (at the rear of the swash) and you can move it around ~+/- 1/32" ,or so, in all axes... this is the play I'm talking about.

The ball links have eliminated this play and now the swash is (much more) solid. The AR shaft now flexes when trying to move it because the swash won't!

This did slightly alter the control rods' angle between the servo horn and swashplate, but it is the same on all 3 (rods). So to "the best my skills can tell"... this has not resulted in a "lop sided" feel or anything.

Yes, this slight angle (introduced) MAY have slightly (mechanically) reduced swash travel but... that can be "added" if you need by raising the gain in the swash mix. I have not felt the need to do so.

Later all... RWW

Old 04-06-2008, 08:21 AM
r_william

Forgot photo of ball-link mod.

Here it is...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22663.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	923070  
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 PM
skywaterbanjo

I completed the install of the AR6000 RX in my Axe CP. Kept the servos that were in it, kept the 3in1. Now using the dx7 to control my Axe and my TREX 450.

I've watched the setup videos for the TREX 450 for the dx7 [link=http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=11373]Finless Bob[/link] and the futaba. Now that I have it figured out, what a difference it is flying my Axe. I'm still at the novice level but I can actually get thru several battery packs of simple FF and hovering in all orientations without incident.

Best upgrade I've done.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:51 PM
AceTheAxe

Hello
I try to setup my Axe cp with DX6i but it was not successful. Can you give me setup in detail please. I need the programming in TX and RX map. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 PM
AceTheAxe

Hi,
You did not have any issue with Spectrum AR6100 in Axe cp. Will you let me know your set up.
I connect 3in1 into throttle, front servo Elev, right servo Aile, left servo Aux, with single wire to Rudd. When I increase my throttle, it was pulsing and it is not steady. the servo arm did not move the full length as wiht the stock rx. Can you give me your servo reversing other TX setup. I am really appreciate any info.
Thank
AceTheAxe
Old 05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
r_william

Hi Ace,

Ditto skywaterbanjo - a great improvement.

OK, here's my setup with the DX7/AR6100/3xDS285 and stock 3 in 1:

Keep in mind I'm a noob so the settings are to my flying capabilities thus far and... I'm not an expert at DX7 programming.

All locations are referenced to "tail-in" orientation:

AR6100 - Location/Equipment

AUX1 - Pitch Servo(Right rear swash)
ELEV - Elevator Servo (Front swash)
THRO - 3 wire connector from 3 in 1
RUDD - 1 wire connector from 3 in 1 (pin closest to antennas)
AILE - Aileron servo (Left rear swash)
GEAR - Empty
BATT - Empty (I use for binding as req.)

The front swash servo is installed with the output shaft pointing forward,
the rear swash servos are installed with the output shafts pointing rearward.

Swash type - 120 CCPM

AILE(2), ELEV(3) & RUDD(4) REVERSED

Sub-trim used as req. to set servo horns level, 90 deg., etc.

Swash links adjusted for middle of collective travel,
Flybar links adjusted for 0 deg. pitch at mid collective

Misc:
No Travel Adjust (all 100%),
No REVO Mix,
No dual rates (yet?),
Only one Flight Mode programmed (so far?)

Swash Mix - AILE +65, ELEV +65, PITCH +45 - EXP inhibited

Pitch curve (still tweaking to my likes) - 45, 50, 70 - EXP On
(This gives very little negative pitch with proper swash setup and helps prevent boom strikes due quick throttle cuts at low hovers that a beginner is likely to do. I have not had a strike since replacing my radio equipment!)

Throttle curve (still tweaking to my likes) - 0, 50, 75 - EXP On
(Both curve settings are slowly being altered to get me more comfortable with higher head speeds)

I'm not using all 5 curve points (yet) so the three given will better translate to the DX6i.

Throttle hold set to -10%

As far as the pulsing, you could reconnect the stock Rx/Tx to see if it is in the "heli" somewhere or the radio setup/equipment.

If I forgot or didn't mention something let me know.

Good Luck RWW
Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 AM
mrbee
My Feedback: (2)

nice setup, ok im running a brushless motor and belt drive conversion, does my 25 bec go to the 3 in 1 motr wires then bec to motor, please help, thanks
Old 02-21-2009, 01:12 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mrbee

nice setup, ok im running a brushless motor and belt drive conversion, does my 25 bec go to the 3 in 1 motr wires then bec to motor, please help, thanks
mrbee,

You probably have a 25 amp ESC (electronic speed control) with a bec (battery eliminator circiut) built in. This will throttle power to your electric motor AND send power to your receiver so that a second battery of 4.8 volts is not needed.

To connect, you no longer need the 3 in 1. Connect the 25 amp esc to the rx (reciever) in the throttle slot and connect your motor to the esc. Then, connect your 401 gyro to the rudder slot on the rx and then connect the 4th servo, which controls the tail blades, to the gyro. All the other connections from the receiver go to the three servos around the swashplate.

Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM
mrbee
My Feedback: (2)

hi, thanks agaion,. almost there