Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

going brushless axe cpv3

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

going brushless axe cpv3

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Banana Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default going brushless axe cpv3

So my brother bought a brushless system to put in his boat, then found out it was an outrunner motor and he had no way of mounting it. I figure, hey, now we've got a spare brushless system sitting around. he said it was the same size as the one in my helicopter, i compared, and lo and behold, they're the same size. So i have the motor and ESC...my question is, is there anything else i need to get to make it work? i know the eboard is a gyro/mixer/esc. so if i use this esc, i'll need to get a different gyro, right? anything else? tail motor esc or something?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
CarGuy7a

Default RE: going brushless axe cpv3

Best bet would be to get rid of the 3 in 1. But to do that you'll also need a tail motor ESC. And yes you will need a HH gyro. I'm using a cheap $40 Telebee gyro which works perfect but all my stuff is still brushed but the telebee should still work fine in your app.

http://www.helidirect.com/telebeezoo...sion-p-494.hdx
Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Banana Jack

Do I need a separate mixer? Whatever that is?
And if I need a new tail motor esc then I might as well go brushless there too. Any ideas for a small brushless tail esc?
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 AM
CarGuy7a

Like I said all my stuff is still brushed so I couldn't tell ya. I'm sure there's people here who's done it tho.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM
gnd2

All you should have to do is get two Y connectors, one to split the throttle channel coming out of the receiver to the 3-in-1 and the brushless ESC, and one to split the battery to the ESC and 3-in-1. You still need the throttle signal going to the 3-in-1 because it is also used to control the tail motor. But the ESC will control your main motor instead of the 3-in-1.

On the Y connector that goes from the receiver to the ESC, remove the power pin (middle pin) from the end that plugs into the ESC. You need to do this because you already have a BEC from the 3-in-1 and you don't want the power from the ESC's BEC.

Look at a manual for the blade CP+ or CP Pro, the procedure should be very similar.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:33 PM
PilotLight
My Feedback: (1)

I tried going to a brushless main motor and still running the stock tail motor, but through a HH gyro. I just used a brushed esc for the tail motor. The higher power of the brushless main motor creates more torque for the tail motor to overcome. It was too small. Throwing in a brushless motor just because you have one doesn't get you too far. There's no real benefit like longer flight times. I would have to recommed converting everything over to brushless and a HH gyro. You'll end up with a more powerful, better flying heli, cooler running heli.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Banana Jack

ORIGINAL: gnd2

All you should have to do is get two Y connectors, one to split the throttle channel coming out of the receiver to the 3-in-1 and the brushless ESC, and one to split the battery to the ESC and 3-in-1. You still need the throttle signal going to the 3-in-1 because it is also used to control the tail motor. But the ESC will control your main motor instead of the 3-in-1.
that's true, i didnt think of that. but i didnt know how, and i didnt want to lose power from the 3 in 1 trying to power the main motor that isnt there. now after thinking about it though, i guess it wont. thanks!

ORIGINAL: PilotLight

I tried going to a brushless main motor and still running the stock tail motor, but through a HH gyro. I just used a brushed esc for the tail motor. The higher power of the brushless main motor creates more torque for the tail motor to overcome. It was too small. Throwing in a brushless motor just because you have one doesn't get you too far. There's no real benefit like longer flight times. I would have to recommed converting everything over to brushless and a HH gyro. You'll end up with a more powerful, better flying heli, cooler running heli.
yeah, that's true... thing is, i'm into losi micros as well, and i have a couple brushless motors for that lying around(same size as the tail rotor motor) and i know i'd be able to use one. i'd just need a small brushless tail esc. any ideas? I'd also need a HH gyro, though... and i cant spare much money at all right now.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM
gnd2

i'd just need a small brushless tail esc. any ideas?
I think people have been using something like the Castle Creations Thunderbird 9 ESC.

I want to do this to my blade CP also but I had to buy some batteries for the trex instead. Maybe next month.