Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Hirobo Support Forum
Reload this Page >

Shuttle Plus with OS .37 major power increase!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Hirobo Support Forum Greg Gomes of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your Hirobo questions here!

Shuttle Plus with OS .37 major power increase!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 06:50 PM
glydrjocky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shuttle Plus with OS .37 major power increase!!!!

Just finished up my Shuttle Plus with a shiny new OS .37 engine. Heard lots of great things about the engine so I really wanted to give it a shot!

The only real issue I had was the need to cut a relief groove in the frame to clear the needle valve that sits lower in the frame. Its also interesting to note that the Plus cooling duct design is belled out a bit wider so that it fits around the head on the .37 and also the newer .32's. I noted the difference when I pulled the engine out of my ZX recently.

I ran the engine in with a couple of slobbering rich tanks, and could barely hold a hover at those settings but I wanted to make sure it was broken in right. The OS .37 manual says to just open the main needle a bit richer than "normal" then goes on to define "a bit richer" as 1 and one half turns from "normal" which is already one and one half turns. So three turns seemed a bit excessive but I went for it. Leaned progressively from 3 to 2 turns on successive tanks just to get it running a bit better. Never got the head temp above 100 F and the back plate was cool to the touch. Last weekend I started turning in the idle scew from the 1 turn in from flush recommendation. Started to clean up nicely, so this weekend I brought it back to around 1.5 turns on the main a few clicks at a time and 1.5 on the low end checking temps as I went. Still around 145 F and luke warm on the backplate.

During this whole time I noted performance to be slightly better than my finely tuned OS 32 but the fuel consumption was quite a bit higher . Well, the last few flights of the day got my tuning into the outer edge of the Sweet spot and that little beast came alive in about 3 clicks and a tweek on the low needle, still rich( nice smoke trail) but I now have a real good idea of the kind of performance this little gem is capable of. I had to go into my throttle curve and turn it down a couple percentage points from 50% to about 45% on the hover throttle in idle 1 and 2. The power was just amazing and I think there is gonna be a whole lot more where that came from. This is all on 15% Coolpower heli fuel, an A3 plug and Century Quiet power 3037 tuned muffler.

I'm not even up to operating temperature yet but its nice to know that fuel consumption is coming down to a bit more acceptable levels. I'm gonna leave it be for now and just let it break in nice and easy. The extra speed and climb I saw today has surpassed my OS .32 ZX by leaps and bounds. This is gonna be fun!

P.S. I did have a problem with my Carbon Fiber tail fin from Quick UK. Its sold for Shuttles as an upgrade but if you notice from the photo, its a bit short to protect the tail rotor from contacting the runway surface. I busted off an MS composite blade and blade holder during a landing in gusty conditions, as you might imagine the imbalance did not do good things for the rotor shaft and housing. My inquery as to why they sell a fin that is too short to do its job has gone unanswered as of this weekend. I held the same fin up to my ZX with stock tail rotor blades and its too short to protect them also.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51450.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	966575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18487.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	966576  
Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts
Default RE: Shuttle Plus with OS .37 major power increase!!!!

Thats a good little helicopter and will really scram with that engine.

I'd suggest the metal radius block, I was never able to get mine tight enough to stay put without stripping out the plastic.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
glydrjocky

SCRAM is a very good word for it! I am using the plastic radius block right now and I sent for a new purple anodized one from Heli Hobby International. It arrived and much to my dismay they replaced that clamp up with an inferior part. The new part they sell is anodized black with one set screw and the guide pin is SHORTER than the stock pin. I called them and they said, you got the right part and if you dont want it send it back. They advertise it as a longer pin to increase collective range but sell a shorter one? What gives? I noticed that Quick UK also quit selling that clamp up block. They have a dual pin setup with two set screws but it only works with their wash out assembly. Seems like some of the Shuttle peformance parts I've been wanting are drying up.........

Any ideas on the best place to get the clamp up radius block?

T
Old 06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

http://www.ronlund.com

Save yourself the agrivation, as you saw, and just get the Hirobo part.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM
herculesm

I got one myself. I am here in South Africa. Mine is stock except for the main blades, the flybar paddles and exhaust. I got SAB blades for mains, the scuedo 50 paddles and a hatori exhaust.
The bird is responsive like the 50 size. The power is also 28% more than the normal because of the exhaust.
I rated it far better than the rapter 30.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:33 PM
glydrjocky

Sounds awesome. I was flying mine yesterday, having so much fun, I ran out of gas at 15 feet up. Autoed to the runway in a stiff gusting wind and just as the rotor spooled to a stop the wind caught it and flipped it on its side. Lightly bent the feathering shaft and snapped an upper mixng arm. Bought a bunch of metal parts from Quick UK to replace the plastic ones..............$$$$$$$$$$$

The fun just never ends.