Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec Optic 6 / BH Stuka / flap setup

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 PM
WildeOne
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hitec Optic 6 / BH Stuka / flap setup

I am considering buying the BH Ju-87B Stuka ARF 120FS/EP, which has an unusual wing arrangment, which uses six servos, two for ailerons and four for the unusual split flaps. I have a question about how to wire the flaps. I was thinking about connecting the two servos on each side in parallel by soldering the wire from one servo to like colors from the other, then paralleling the servos on the other side the same way, eventually ending with a single connector with all all four servos parallel wired plugged into CH6.

Is this workable, or would it create a load problem for the RX channel? Or is there a better way to handle this problem? Tkx.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:09 PM
A.T.

Default RE: Hitec Optic 6 / BH Stuka / flap setup

ORIGINAL: WildeOne I am considering buying the BH Ju-87B Stuka ARF 120FS/EP, which has an unusual wing arrangment, which uses six servos, two for ailerons and four for the unusual split flaps. I have a question about how to wire the flaps. I was thinking about connecting the two servos on each side in parallel by soldering the wire from one servo to like colors from the other, then paralleling the servos on the other side the same way, eventually ending with a single connector with all all four servos parallel wired plugged into CH6. Is this workable, or would it create a load problem for the RX channel? Or is there a better way to handle this problem? Tkx.
1. Combining leads is good.
2. Model &type of RX not mentioned, suggest best toparallel battery with the flap servos to better spread the high load at low flap setting.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Multiple Batteries may be installed Dual batteries for redundancy or even one for each servo (applies to all receivers).
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #1 caution re NiMH.
Optima Transceiver (RX) - Battery set up for Nitro/Gas models #2 caution re NiMH.

The Hitec Optic 6Tutorial and Flap travel addendum at
Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial & Comparison Charts ' if copy not already held, may also assist.

- Aurora A9, Spectra Pro & Optima - FAQ & Undocumented Features - Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
WildeOne

Alan, appreciate the quick feedback. I will be using all six TX channels, but can use a 7 channel RX. I'm using Assan 2.4 GHz RF module and have both six and seven channel Assan RX's. So it's a simple as just putting an extra pack plugged in to an unused channel? I typically use five cell NIMH packs over 2000 MAH for all RX's. Anything special with charging with two packs connected? Thanks again.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 PM
A.T.

ORIGINAL: WildeOne Alan, appreciate the quick feedback. I will be using all six TX channels, but can use a 7 channel RX. I'm using Assan 2.4 GHz RF module and have both six and seven channel Assan RX's. So it's a simple as just putting an extra pack plugged in to an unused channel? I typically use five cell NIMH packs over 2000 MAH for all RX's. Anything special with charging with two packs connected? Thanks again.
Pleaseuse separate switches and charge separately as per
<dt>Dual (Parallel) Battery Operation = Reliability & More Flight Time - </dt>
Alan T.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Mustang314

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: WildeOne

I am considering buying the BH Ju-87B Stuka ARF 120FS/EP, which has an unusual wing arrangment, which uses six servos, two for ailerons and four for the unusual split flaps. I have a question about how to wire the flaps. I was thinking about connecting the two servos on each side in parallel by soldering the wire from one servo to like colors from the other, then paralleling the servos on the other side the same way, eventually ending with a single connector with all all four servos parallel wired plugged into CH6.

Is this workable, or would it create a load problem for the RX channel? Or is there a better way to handle this problem? Tkx.
I may be missing something here, but if all 4 flap servos are connected to one channel, all the servos will rotate in the same direction. This is unusual in that most model installations require that servos in one wing rotate in the opposite direction to the servos in the other wing. Also, the mechanical connection between the servo and the surface will have to be such that adjustments to match the surface throw on the 4 flaps be accomplished by linkage adjustment as end point adjustment in the transmitter will affect all 4 servos equally. You may want to think about using a "Matchbox" or equivalent device
Fred
Old 12-06-2010, 07:53 PM
WildeOne

Fred, I can handle the two wings by having the servo output arms all to the outside or all to the inside ... done it before with a Giant Big Stik with flaps, but that one only needed two servos and I had enough radio channels to handle it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Brendan Lugo

Fred, I can handle the two wings by having the servo output arms all to the outside or all to the inside ... done it before with a Giant Big Stik with flaps, but that one only needed two servos and I had enough radio channels to handle it.
You can do this or depending on the servos you will be using for the flaps you can rewire one side so that they rotate in the opposite direction. You swap the outside wires going to the pot and swap the wires going to the motor. Doing it this way would give you a more normal setup for later down the road if you change to a more sophisticated radio with more channels and you want to then seperate the left and right flaps onto their own channels.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
linkadrip

Sure would like to know how you did that Giant Big Stick Setup i'm using the otic 6 radio with it & want to set up the flaps but i'm at a bit of a loss at the moment

Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
WildeOne

linkadrip , see attached. I had it backwards. The ailerons are connected using opposite servo sides, the flaps the same side. All connected to the RX via Y adapters. Sorry, got carried away with size!!!!

All photos wing bottoms.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82625.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1558347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73500.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	1558348   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18067.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1558349  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:09 AM
linkadrip

Thanks for the pictures
I used two Y harnesses to connect the servos two the Receiver & setup the Crow function without the use of the ailerons as spoilers. Seems to work Fine but wont really know till i fly the plane But at least now i have control of the flaps & elevator at the same time on the left slider. Hopefully this will make it so it will be able to take off and land in shorter distances.