Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Eclipse 7: Upgrading software

Old 03-09-2004, 03:19 AM
Javier Garcia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eclipse 7: Upgrading software

Good moorning!
Is it possible to upgrade the Eclipse Software via internet? Where? How?
Thank you, Javier
Old 03-09-2004, 03:37 AM
XJet
Banned

Default RE: Eclipse 7: Upgrading software

No, I'm an electronics tech and tried to order the replacement daughter-board/ROM but was told that I had to return the transmitter to an authorized service center to have the work done.

Mind you, they also told me that it was impossible to convert the transmitter from Mode 2 to Mode 1 without their special calibration equipment -- but I managed quite succesfully anyway.

I can understand their desire to keep everything in-house however -- having people of unknown ability "fixing" their own transmitters and then shooting down other fliers or complaining that they're having problems is not good for business.

The problem I face is that here in NZ, the authorized distributor/service-agent doesn't deal with 72MHz systems -- even though they're quite legal to use. That means the QPCM conversion with new receiver offer isn't going to happen for me unless I return the gear to the USA (a 24,000 mile round trip).
Old 03-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Javier Garcia

In Spain, if you need to change from Mode II to Mode I, as was my case, Hitec service says that only them can do.
But, in fact, what I'm asking for is future upgrading, and Mode change too, by Internet, connecting the DSC to a Pc, as Multiplex can do, and they are the same company now. Rachet and spring are not a problem.
As I own a previous Graupner JR Tx, I miss the programing ability to change Mode.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

The only issue here is that the DESIGN of the radio lends itself, or not, to certain user allowable repairs or modifications. In other words, it's simply that the company had to work with certain design parameters to achieve a certain level of performance in it's intended price range. You really can't complain about the realities of the market place.

Why not buy another radio that allows you to do ALL of what you want (upgradeable software as an Internet download, change Mode, etc.) which is, as you point out, would be the Multiplex EVO?
For any activity, there is an "entry" fee. When you want to fly and you pay for Coach Class, you can't expect to get First Class amenities.
There are things the EVO can't do in a way that the MPX4000 will, but I fully understand that if I want those features, I will have to pay for the MPX4000 and not expect the company to add those features to the EVO.

Highflight
Old 04-01-2004, 06:28 PM
avalon

Who can get an Evo 9? I got sick of waiting and bought an eclipse with the spectra module. Had to send it to be changed from modeII to mode I but at least I will be able to fly soon. It would be cool if it could be upgraded via my PC. Save having to send it to California for any upgrades so I could spend more time in the air.