Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Is filtering needed on long servo leads

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 11:01 PM
marcwv
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is filtering needed on long servo leads

Hi Mike,
I would like to know if filtering or pcb's are needed for longer servo leads (i.e. servo's in glider wings)? There are harnesses being sold for sailplanes that have filtering and a pcb's on them.
I assumed with the current technology in radio equipment this wouldn't be needed .
Thanks much, Marc Silverman
Old 03-18-2004, 11:59 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is filtering needed on long servo leads

Mike has asked me to help out, so here I am.

PCB's??? As far as I know PCB= printed circuit board. Some extensions have amplifiers or signal boosters with PCB technology. There is nothing wrong with these as far as I know. However you cannot intermix OEM brand equipment, in other words a amplified extension for JR will not work on Hitec/Futaba equipment.

Ferrite rings have been and are used, but with today's equipment don't seem to be of any benefit typically. Ferrite rings decouple the ground. Rumor has it if you don't do this your servo load will adversely effect the range of transmitter-receiver.

If the fix was to utilize these beads then you'd need special, expensive Nano-crystal ferrite rings to affect the purported fix... Theoretically there is a very small decoupling of the grounds. The principle use of ferrite rings does not have an influence or an improvement in this application or use to the best of my knowledge.