Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Mixing Hitec and Futaba Crystals

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 09:39 AM
rightflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Hitec and Futaba Crystals

A buddy of mine has had a lot of trouble with radio problems. Kind of intermittent-mulitple planes and receivers. It doesn't seem to be radio related as I tried my radio turned to his channel and he had similar problems. He has noticed that a vendor(they will remain nameless at this point) seemed to have randomly sent whatever brand of crystal they had with each recevier order.

In other words, they sent a Futaba crystal for a Hitec and visa versa.

My question is if they two crystal are interchangeable or could it be part of his problem?
Old 05-15-2005, 10:24 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Mixing Hitec and Futaba Crystals

Hitec does not condone mixing and matching crystals. For the most part this is an unacceptable practice. However we do recognize that this is common practice and works for most with Futaba and Hitec crystals, this not true of many other OEM equipment offerings.

That said its unlikely your friends problems are crystal related IMO, unless they are simply defective.

Please expand on the problems, what type of propulsion and the radio model specific installation
Old 05-15-2005, 01:50 PM
rightflyer

He is using a Futaba 9C and runs strictly glow engines. The problem has surpfaced on several receivers in different planes. It may be just channel related (ch 40). he try to move to another channel to see if the problem reoccurs.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:24 PM
mglavin

I'd look real hard at the installations, specifically eliminate any and all metal to metal connections that might vibrate, like throttle pushrods, clevis and the sort.

These problems generally follow an installation conumdrum IMO.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:08 AM
artman102
My Feedback: (1)

I has similar problems. Mine turned out to be cheap servos that would glitch, sometimes completely flipping to opposite side, momentarily.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:43 AM
mstarkb

i m using a hitec eclipse 7 ch and gws receiver...but when i conecting it...my servo become problem...i also using gws crystal....my question...it that gws crystal could not use with hitec? your suggestion?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 AM
mglavin

I have used GWS RX's without issue previously myself. Is the RX a positive or negative shift unit and is the TX set accordingly?
Old 08-10-2005, 10:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Futaba radios aren't shift selectable.

There's a variety of crystals available, Futaba uses FM, FM dual conversion, short etc. It is best to note that most models are worth more than the 3 dollar difference it will cost to purchase the correct crystals.

Most radio problems are caused by improper installation and or maintence on the users part.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:59 PM
mglavin

Did someone mention something about Futaba being shift selectable? Any who it’s true, Futaba and Hitec equipment offer Negative shift equipment. However Hitec also offers many TX's and RX's that are either shift selectable and or specifically negative or positive shift.

Futaba, Hitec, JR, Airtronic’s and others use AM or FM single conversion and or FM dual conversion crystals. Physical sizes vary and are dictated by the footprint of the RX.

Many crystals look identical but they are in fact different internally and the OEM specific nuisances are what make them work properly or not. All OEM m radio equipment manufacturers recommend their own parts and specifically crystals be used in there equipment.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:50 PM
mstarkb

i also try use the hitec ec7 shift +ve and receiver gws shift +ve....but my servo also problem.......why? how about hi band and low band crystal...?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:06 AM
mglavin

Hi-lo crytsal do not exist with GWS gear. You are using the correct GWS crystal for the GWS reciever? Can you verify you have a negative shift reciever? Have you tried putting the TX into Positive shift? If all fails I'd suggest the reciever or crystal is at fault.
Old 08-13-2005, 09:06 PM
mstarkb

yes...i m using the right gws crystal...before this i m using gws radio with gws rx...nothing problem....now i buy a new hitec eclipse7...so i want to use the same gws rx...when i change the +ve shift...with gws rx...my servo become problem...i try -ve shift...but it same....my question...could i change the gws rx shift -Ve?
Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 PM
mglavin

The GWS RX's are available in either shift versions. The user is not able to change the shift requirements.

Do you have the Spectra TX Module?

Do you have any other RX's you can test with?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:37 AM
mstarkb

yes..i also using the spectra TX module.....i dont have any other RX's for test...is that gws crystal TX not match with hitec?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:33 AM
mglavin

I don't know, I'll test a GWS with an Eclipse and Spectra module.