Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

5955TG questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 11:00 AM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5955TG questions

Hi, my question is what would the effects be on running these servos with a output pulse voltage lower than 3 volts?
The reason I ask is I just found out that the new Futaba R6014fh 2.4 recevier may be putting out only about 2.76 volts on the output impulse signal side of the recevier.
I heard this rumor AFTER I bought the radio. There are no spec values with the enclosed paper work of the system. I have about 15 5955's and I sure don't want to buy another bunch of Futuba servos just to make this system work. I may need to send it back for a refund.
Thanks
Steve
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 5955TG questions

Give futaba US service a call.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:23 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Give futaba US service a call.
I tried that.the guy I talked to could not answer the question. How sad
Old 02-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Brendan Lugo

Below the 3 volt minimum our servos (and most other servos) require the servo could:
A) not work at all
B) work erratically
C) work as normal. With this option a ANALOG servo may still work ok as it is less tolerant than a digital servo.

Options A and B are most likely.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:34 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: Brendan Lugo

Below the 3 volt minimum our servos (and most other servos) require the servo could:
A) not work at all
B) work erratically
C) work as normal. With this option a ANALOG servo may still work ok as it is less tolerant than a digital servo.

Options A and B are most likely.

Thanks Brandon....HiTec tech department comes through again. It seems such a sham that Futaba's tech department could not or would not take the time to answer this simple question.............. heck the guy I talked to at Futaba didnot have an answer for me when I asked him what the servo impulse output voltage is on their recevier. I really want to get into this 2.4 gig but HiTec and Multiplex are still doing their thing on this system. I now have a EVO9 and it has been just a great radio,
This Futaba seems nice but after dealing with their customer service department I think I'll send the thing back and just wait till HiTech comes out with their equipment. This had taught me a lesson about customer service and that is it should be #1 when it comes to repeat customers. After all most of the radios out there are not that much different form one another so it is the service that a company provides after the sale that is most important.
HiTech seems to understand this concept better than most
Again Thank You HiTec
Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 PM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 6014 reciever, and Futaba reports that it is nominal 3 volts for the signal and may vary from 2.65 volts to 3 volts depending on the channel and servo used.

I have multiple 5955 (and many other Hitec) servos. I tried one of the 5955's on the bench on multiple channels, and it seemed to work fine. Does that mean that it will be OK to fly with it?? This is a huge issue for me because I have several large planes, and basically use Hitec servos in all of them.

Thanks,

DK
Old 02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: DKflyer

I have a 6014 reciever, and Futaba reports that it is nominal 3 volts for the signal and may vary from 2.65 volts to 3 volts depending on the channel and servo used.

I have multiple 5955 (and many other Hitec) servos. I tried one of the 5955's on the bench on multiple channels, and it seemed to work fine. Does that mean that it will be OK to fly with it?? This is a huge issue for me because I have several large planes, and basically use Hitec servos in all of them.

Thanks,

DK
Yes I read the report that Bax sent me on the receiver impulse signal voltage. All I can say is that my Futuba s9152 digitals are designed to for 4.8 to 6 volts just like my 5955TG's so my guess is yes they will work. Others have reported good results with HiTec's on Futaba receivers . I'm running my HiTec's via a Mulitplex recevier and nevr never had problems. I also have a 33% Waco and a 30% Stearman that I'm just about finished framing up. This will be the plane that I'm going to use the new 12fg and r6014fs on. Lot's of $$$$$$$$$ involved in these two planes so I have the same concernes as you.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:49 PM
DKflyer

Well, up above it says that they may not work on less than 3 volts for the signal leads. I need to know if this is 3 volts "nominal", or a minimum of 3 volts at all times. As I said, they are working fine on the bench. Just don't want any surprises in the air because the signal voltage drops to 2.65v.

Thanks,

DK
Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
SoCalSal

Well, up above it says that they may not work on less than 3 volts for the signal leads. I need to know if this is 3 volts "nominal", or a minimum of 3 volts at all times. As I said, they are working fine on the bench. Just don't want any surprises in the air because the signal voltage drops to 2.65v.

Thanks,

DK
Hi According to Bax at Futaba it is 3 volts nominal...........just go to the Futaba factory support section and you can see what he sent me
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can add to this post, I use a Futaba 12Z with a 5014 G3, 9 ch PCMs and 7 ch FM receivers with 6 to 7l Hitec digital servos. I have not had any issues or problems. I however have not tried this with the FASST receivers yet.

Later
Jeff
Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
DKflyer

Hi According to Bax at Futaba it is 3 volts nominal...........just go to the Futaba factory support section and you can see what he sent me
I have seen that. However, he also says that it can drop to 2.65 volts depending on the channel and servo used.

What I want to know from Hitec is if this is OK????? Can I use Hitec servos or do I need to buy Futaba??? If they work on the bench, does that mean that they will work in the air???? I don't want to lose an airplane over this.

DK
Old 02-22-2008, 10:31 AM
SoCalSal

I have seen that. However, he also says that it can drop to 2.65 volts depending on the channel and servo used.

What I want to know from Hitec is if this is OK????? Can I use Hitec servos or do I need to buy Futaba??? If they work on the bench, does that mean that they will work in the air???? I don't want to lose an airplane over this.

DK
Maybe we should go to the HiTec forum and ask Mike what he thinks???
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Brendan Lugo

If it works on the bench and there are no problems, it will be fine in the air. The signal line voltage isn't going to change much as the flight load the servo sees does not effect the signal line voltage.
3 volts is more our minimum voltage as 3.3 volts would be our nominal.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
reyn3545

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are scaring the s***** out of me.. I just ordered a 12FGA with teh 6014 receiver... and my Edge 540 is full of 5955's...

I'm not currently using a power box on the plane (using JR 2.4 radio), and wasn't planning on using a power box with the Futaba setup.... If I do go with the box, would it eliminate these concerns?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:12 AM
SoCalSal

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

You guys are scaring the s***** out of me.. I just ordered a 12FGA with teh 6014 receiver... and my Edge 540 is full of 5955's...

I'm not currently using a power box on the plane (using JR 2.4 radio), and wasn't planning on using a power box with the Futaba setup.... If I do go with the box, would it eliminate these concerns?
Hey Buddy.don'y get all worked up' Your system will work with the 5955TG's. If you look at the beginning of this thread we are talking about "signal" voltage not the power voltage. There is a differance.
As far as a PowerBox correcting this issue??? I would have to say no. I use a PowerBox 40/16 Evolution just because I can use two LiPo's to power those big servos. And because if a servo burn's up for what ever reason it won't knock out your receiver. You see a PowerBox regulates the volyage to 5.9v to the servos and works the two battries to get that constant voltage. It also has other benefits as well.If you want to read more go to the Duralite battries web-page and you can read the owners manuel which also shows the benefits.
Another thing about the PowerBox is that you can run up to 20 servos at one time off it that is on the 40/16 Evo model. All getting the same 5.9 vo;ts. There are other makers of these types of devices like SmartFly and I'm sure others but PowerBox and SmartFly are two I know of.
The PowerBox does not change the signal voltage.it just makes sure the voltage that comes in one side is going out the other side at a even and constant rate.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:43 AM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello friend,[8D] you are not correct,

please look into all manuals of the original PowerBoxes, not coppies as the smartflys,

all original PowerBoxes have puls amplifiers inside for each channel and the signal voltage is always constant 5,0 volt,

if the Futaba 6014 have only 2,7 volts on the signal, then helps also the original PowerBox, the signal is 5,0 volts output and all electronic parts, servos, electronic valves, ECU will work on a PowerBox!

If you have problems with the servos on the Futaba 6014 then take a PowerBox and all works fine.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 AM
SoCalSal

George, here is a copy of the letter from owerBox I got. It says the basic same thing as you have said

Hello Steve,

Yes, I can confirm, that this receiver 6014 will work with the most of our PowerBoxes. The newest, from the last 3 years, can handle the voltage up from 2,5 volts. The PowerBoxes with RRS inside or the RRS module can all pulse handle up from 1,0 volts, so in your case, the PowerBox Royal and 2 of this receivers are a very perfect setup. In big planes with long servos leads, if there are HiTec servos in the plane, or other electronic items what need 3,0 volts input, is the PB Royal absolutely necessary, because when you connect this electronic items on the PowerBox, then they get a pulse voltage of minimum 4.5 - 5,0 volts, so they will work all very fine.

If it is an older PowerBox and doesn´t function on the 6014, then we update it, also not a problem.

When the Box work on the receiver then it is o.k., we have made some tests with all PowerBoxes, special with a heat over 50 degrees, because some of our customers ask us, what happens over 50 degrees, and we can say, that it is the same when the Box work by 20 degrees, then it also work by 50 degrees, for example, when it was by 20° 2,62 Volts, then it was by 50 ° not much more, mostly 2,63 or 2,64 volts. We think that the electronic parts what we give in our boxes they are all designed for 150 degrees ( MIL specification), and we have all our PowerBox with gold plates, so it does nothing when the temperature is a little higher.

We can say when the Box will work then it is the newer version, not older then 3 years, and it will work with this receiver.

Thank you for your interest, if you has any question ask me please.

kind regards / mit freundlichen Grüßen

Emmerich Deutsch

PowerBox Systems GmbH

Ludwig-Auer-Strasse 5

ORIGINAL: DelGatoGrande

Hello friend,[8D] you are not correct,

please look into all manuals of the original PowerBoxes, not coppies as the smartflys,

all original PowerBoxes have puls amplifiers inside for each channel and the signal voltage is always constant 5,0 volt,

if the Futaba 6014 have only 2,7 volts on the signal, then helps also the original PowerBox, the signal is 5,0 volts output and all electronic parts, servos, electronic valves, ECU will work on a PowerBox!

If you have problems with the servos on the Futaba 6014 then take a PowerBox and all works fine.

Hi George. Thanks for the update to my post. George I was not able to find the "signal pulse output voltage" value in my paper work. But if you say you have read this yourself then that is great news. All I was able to find was the "power voltage" to the servos which in my case is 5.9v per channel. And as you say all will work fine. Again than you for your correction to my post.
Steve