Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

Hitec GY130 & gain control problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hitec GY130 & gain control problems

Mr. Mayberry, can you help me out with this one?

I purchased a Hitec GY130 gyro with the gain control switch to install in a H-9 Pizzaz. After reading the instructions, it was installed per the instruction sheet. It was immediately apparent that something was wrong. The gain control switch would not work in conjuction with the gear switch as noted in the instructions. A tremendous amount of radio "glitching" was also present on a frequent basis.

I sent the units back to Hitec to be checked out. After a little over a month, the units were returned to me with a new gain control switch. I re-installed the new units, and now the gear switch WILL operate in conjunction with the gain control switch. Unfortunately, there is still a tremendous amount of glitching, frequently, on all the radio channels.

As an aside, I have tried 3 different JR 6 and 7 channel receivers, all on the same channel, with the same results. The radio system range checks at over 150 feet with all three receivers.

I am using a JR652 Tx and Rx, with Hitec hs225mg and 605bb servos. Battery is an H-9, 4.8v, 1500 Mah pack. None of the radio components have EVER been crashed or impacted hard.
The gyro is located on the cockpit floor, just ahead of the battery pack.

Could the proximity of the gyro to the battery cause a problem? Secondly, could the long leads on the gyro/gain controller be causing r/f noise? Prior to the installation of the gyro, no radio problems had been present. Is this a problem that's inherent with the Hitec gyro/JR radios?, or could I still have a defective unit after being serviced at the Hitec facility? Is there a possibility of non-compatability with any of the components? I will not fly the plane with any part of the Hitec gyro installed as it stands now. Do you have any ideas?
Silversurfer

ADDITION TO POST

I would like to thank all the people at Hitec, Glenn, Tony, and Mike, for all the help they are giving me offline on this problem. You guys are bending over backwards to find the cause, and in the meantime you're providing me with another gyro. I'm really impressed.

I don't know of any other RC suppliers that would go to this length to satisfy a customer, especially this quickly.. Thank you all very much.
Sincerely,
Silversurfer

Conclusion To Post:
I should have gotten back to this sooner than I have.

A special thanks to all the people at Hitec in solving this gyro problem. Hitec went the extra mile to completely check out a new gyro and gain controller on the bench set up like my radio and aircraft. After making sure everything was better than perfect, they sent me the gyro and gain controller, before the last one had been returned!.

Now the part where I have to become embarrased. After re-installing the gyro in my Pizzaz, guess what? I was still getting some glitches. I completely removed the entire radio system and gyro from the plane and found that one of the extension leads was not, and would not make a good enough contact to handle the gyro signals. The connection was good enough for just the normal input to control the rudder servo, but was causing feedback when the multitude of signals were coming in from the gyro. Changed extensions and everything is perfect. Or at least the gyro is perfect. 10 flights later the ailerons have started to flutter. I guess this plane has been flown to retirement.

Thanks again, Hitec. No one does it better!!

Silversurfer