Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

pipedup's pjt"junkyard underdog"speed machine

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

pipedup's pjt"junkyard underdog"speed machine

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM
pipedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pipedup's pjt"junkyard underdog"speed machine

Well the project bug has bitten me hard since cabin fever seems to have set in. I am going to start a build thread on what I would consider a speed savage. I am going to use an old junker savage that I have kicking around for a basis as I want this to be a budget build so anybody can see how easy it would be to "make a silk purse out of a pig's ear" lol as the saying goes.

This is what I am going to start with:

That was a few pics of how it used to look, now this is what it looks like to start the project:

AS you can see I am going to have my work cut out for me. Where to begin?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:34 AM
pipedup

Default RE: pipedup's pjt

I want to share with the community how easy it is to build a speed machine. I have given this a complete disassembly and cleaning. I am going to start by putting it on a diet, and to begin doing that I am going to use some carbon fiber.

You have to remember when using carbon fiber to always put safety first. It is very important that you don't breath any dust in since the human body is carbon based it will never expel it out of your body you will live with it for the rest of your life.

I set up a work space in my garage using a shop vac to aid in sucking any unwanted dust. The carbon fiber "chop shop" lol:

It is alot harder to do quality work cutting cf than I anticipated but so going to be worth it:

I hate wasting stuff so as you can see if you plan your cuts properly you can get alot of one sheet:

I even will keep the scrap pieces as you never know when they will come in handy

One sheet give me enough that I will be able to build 2 trucks, I think I will build a "break in bench"truck as well, I will leave that for another thread.
I will keep you posted on the next step.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: pipedup

Well the project bug has bitten me hard since cabin fever seems to have set in. I am going to start a build thread on what I would consider a speed savage. I am going to use an old junker savage that I have kicking around for a basis as I want this to be a budget build so anybody can see how easy it would be to ''make a silk purse out of a pig's ear'' lol as the saying goes.

umm can honestly say this is the 1st time I've ever read anything even remotely like that [&:]

I've always wondered how hard it would be to cut CF
Well main reason I never tried it was I don't want to risk the dust as I have limited room to work in it would have to be done in my house.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:34 PM
pipedup

It is really easy to do but you most definately need to have an area where you can gget some. Cf dust on it without harming your family. I use a shop vac to suck the cuttings that are put in the air.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:32 PM
pipedup

It was around $50 to buy the sheet and worth every penny, there was quite a savings to be had with it and I love the look of carbon fiber. Here is some of the pieces weighted along side the original ones:

This was an original savage 25 engine plate 28grams.

This is a brand new engine plate sitting at 37g.

Here is an FLM engine plate at a meager 27 grams, the lightest so far.

This is the carbon fiber plate I made sitting at 20 grams. I apologize for the glare on the scale I had no idea that it was such poor quality I will have to be sure to check each picture when I take them.

Here is a close up pic showing what bit I used in my dremel as well as how I held the pieces together to act like a jig.

I will keep you updated with the progress, any other questions please feel free to ask.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:46 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Have u thought about if you're going to utilize the HPI tranny or try and go direct drive like one the other speed Savy's on the board? Interesting read to say the least, I'm glad I am catching your build from the start and will be following. The need for speed on these trucks has always fascinated me, just never went that route with the Savage, always stuck with the ST's mainly cause of the ease. I wish you well and look forward to your future posts and appreciate all the information you can share with the rest of us along the way with your build. I also love the Judge in your pics! Love a little more info on that as well, please.? Original or restored? (I know it's an RC forum, but these things were first modeled after the real deals)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:56 AM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

You have to remember when using carbon fiber to always put safety first. It is very important that you don't breath any dust in since the human body is carbon based it will never expel it out of your body you will live with it for the rest of your life.
This is great safety tip that many, many, many people just don't realize when working with CF, young and older hobbyist alike will benefit from that post.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:13 AM
sshine440

Well its about time you got with it dude ,,,,,, i like your money saving effort  but JUDGEing your back drop effort i think it will b fast LOL
Old 03-24-2013, 05:24 AM
sshine440

Hea guys im living proof at 53 i have worked with CF race car parts allot and have alwase wore a mask but it also gets in your skin so cover all open areas cuz the cutters are throwing it like miniture arrows .
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 AM
pipedup

ORIGINAL: Bash-m-up

Have u thought about if you're going to utilize the HPI tranny or try and go direct drive like one the other speed Savy's on the board? Interesting read to say the least, I'm glad I am catching your build from the start and will be following. The need for speed on these trucks has always fascinated me, just never went that route with the Savage, always stuck with the ST's mainly cause of the ease. I wish you well and look forward to your future posts and appreciate all the information you can share with the rest of us along the way with your build. I also love the Judge in your pics! Love a little more info on that as well, please.? Original or restored? (I know it's an RC forum, but these things were first modeled after the real deals)

I did want to make this unit a direct drive however because it is a short LCG TVP I will not have the room to do it. I have been conversing with my good buddy sshine about the idea and he went ahead with his truck and made it happen, I await his results.

I plan on making an onroad savage I built a few years ago into a direct drive unit. Here are some pics of it, it was a custom set of tvp's that stretched the savage by 3 1/2". They were made out of stainless steel, really heavy but hey they look killer. I built this truck to race around a parking lot course with my buddy. He had a screaming 1/8 scale onroad car that I actually put up a good challenge for him. I am adding these pics to give a bit of a background into what I have done in the past and to maybe help get the ideas flowing if anyone wants to build one themselves.

The theme behind that truck was to put everything as low as I could go to keep the body roll to a minimum for hard cornering.

I even put the hump back battery pack at the very bottom as it seems to weigh quite a bit.

As for the judge it is a work in progress, I have owned it for 12 years and loved working on it. It has a 455ci bored 30 over with all the goodies on the inside. Love the Pontiac torque, just don't lie the cost that is associated with doing Pontiac engines. Please ask lot's of questions that is what this is all about a melting pot of sorts to learn information, if there is anything you can see on my build that I am missing or should do differently by all means please point it out.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
pipedup

ORIGINAL: sshine440

Well its about time you got with it dude ,,,,,, i like your money saving effort but JUDGEing your back drop effort i think it will b fast LOL

Thanks Steve I am planning on putting some power into this project. I think it is time that I add some serious power into my collection I will keep you posted on what the plans are.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:36 AM
pipedup

Well after clean up i decided to start on the differentials. I really dreaded working on differentials to begin with but now that I have managed to get a good system together they seem to last forever.

Here is a pic of the parts complete with shims.

Here is a pic of the old 25 plastic diff housing complete with gears,113grams:

Then a pic of the aluminum housing complete with gears,129grams:

Totally worth the weight savings of using the old style housing for this application as I don't plan on jumping this truck. I have chosen to use 7000wtg oil inside the diffs as I want this to unload if a wheel was to lift off the pavement at extreme speeds. Here is a pic of the oil:

Ready to add oil:

This picture is really hard to see what I was trying to show but the idea about filling up diffs is to not get too much oil in it because when you add the last gear and crown it will overfill. Always remember to rotate the outdrive cup so the gears turn when adding oil as you want all the voids filled. I like to fill it to just over the spider gears and then fit the last gear and crown into place.

Next step is to install the assembled diff into the carrier. I chose the old savage 25 carriers as I want the diff to be solid so the crown and pinion meshs correctly. If using used parts ensure that everything is cleaned spotless as you want everything to be meshed correctly. I always add new bearings when I open anything like this, it is just too much work to have a bearing fail after a short time.

Here is the weight of the assembled carrier complete with cf braces,193grams:

Stay tuned for the next step and if you have any questions at all feel free to ask, the only "stupid question" is the one not asked.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:36 PM
pipedup

Well since the diff's are ready to roll I guess onto the next step. I am going to get the trusty scale out and see what parts will be worthy of putting on the bullet.

Here is the X style arm sitting at 40g:

The old style 25 arm sitting at 38g will be what I use:

I had castor adjustable arms on the old dog but they are sitting a bit heavy at 16g:

The old style straights were sitting t 12g:

And I found a newer set of X ones that are 11g so that will be the ticket:

It was 81grams with the adjustables:

Now sitting at 73g a nice bit of savings to say the least:

I chose to use the Integy uprights for the rear as I wanted to get rid of the rod and they are quite a bit lighter, sitting at 32g compared to the 53grams the other setup was:

Now the rear is sitting at a weight of 80grams:

I found this quite interesting, the X style shock towers are quite heavy, sitting at 35g compared to the old 25 style at 27g when building a speed demon every gram counts:

It's starting to look sexy

I will keep you updated on the progress, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 AM
pipedup

The savage has been notorious to have excessive slop in the steering so to try and eliminate that I have chosen Integy's steering crank. This is a nice solid unit that comes with bearings, I was very impressed when I finally got to see one for my self.

The weight of the unit was 69grams:

I didn't like the factory linkage from the servo to the crank so I decided to make my own out of carbon fiber. This piece was a left over piece that wasn't perfectly formed but for this application it will work I hope, fingers are crossed. I am not sure what kind of life I will get out of it but for the time being I am going to give it a try:

It turned out really nice, there is no slop at all in this assembly. It was definately money well spent, here are some close up pics of the assembled product:

I decided I would go with the Lunsford titanium linkage set. It is a very well made product that should ensure trouble free service with this steering:

I had purchased a set of titanium hinge pins that came with the linkage braces to use with the existing HPI linkage ends. I however chose not to use them on this application, here is a pic to show you what I mean:

The hinge pins were quite a savings over the stock hpi parts, they weigh a quarter less than stock:

Originally I had converted this truck to a mid fuel tank but for this build I think I will put it back to stock to demonstrate how the average person can utilize their own parts to make a speed demon. Here is the weight of the receiver box,118g:

I like Hi tec servos so I will be using them on this project. The weight of the digital 5645 is 59g complete with aluminum horn:

Old 03-29-2013, 03:27 AM
sshine440

You going to use that pipe ? ive seen them before looks like a 221t lol .

Well the project bug has bitten me hard since cabin fever seems to have set in. I am going to start a build thread on what I would consider a speed savage. I am going to use an old junker savage that I have kicking around for a basis as I want this to be a budget build so anybody can see how easy it would be to "make a silk purse out of a pig's ear" lol as the saying goes.

That was a few pics of how it used to look, now this is what it looks like to start the project:

Old 03-29-2013, 07:16 AM
pipedup

[quote]ORIGINAL: sshine440

You going to use that pipe ? ive seen them before looks like a 221t lol .
[quote]ORIGINAL: pipedup

Your 100% correct about that pipe looking like the 221T, it was the pipe that was copied to make them. I am not sure what I am going to use for a pipe just yet, I am going to test alot of different ones and see which I can get the best bang for my buck per say.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:17 AM
pipedup

Well it's starting to come together nicely, just wish there was more hours in the day dang real job is keeping me from my passion. Here is some pics of the front and rear assemblies:

Now onto the tranny, it is a 2 speed that has had quite a few gallons gone through it so I better open it up and replace bearings and give it the once over:

As you can see there is a tooth missing, time for an upgrade:

The kit comes nicely packaged and wiith the instructions it was a breeze to change. Be sure to shim the gears to get rid of any slop and to make them mess perfectly.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:22 AM
pipedup

I had originally wanted to go with a direct drive unit and had I done that I could have shaved quite a bit of weight off just by eliminating the tranny:

Now onto some tvp's, the original 25 tvp's are sitting at 82g:

They did lose some weight when they switched to the x style, 76g:

I have a set of carbon fiber ones that are sitting at 48g that would be perfect for this build:

However I am going to use them on a future project and I wanted to utilize the hpi LCG ones I have, the extra bit of weight will be a hinderance in the quest for 80mph but I think when I am done this truck should be in the 8-9lb range anyhow. Here are the LCG sitting at 69g:

While I wait for a few parts to arrive I might as well start thinking about what I am going to use to power this beast.

This engine made great power, I am going to tear it down and give it a good cleaning and inspection of the internals. It has been so long since I ran it I can't remember how the last run was, seems to me it had an issue? I will keep you updated with the progress.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just stumbled on this thread, Glad I did as it looks to be a great build.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:24 AM
pipedup

It appears I have a lame horse, this is what happens to a Picco when you push the rpm's :

Well have to source out a different option for this beast? Maybe time to spend some money and try to up the ante as far as power? Maybe an LRP is in order? The .30 looks like a good engine?

Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2013, 11:47 AM
sparky 25

The lrp30 is a great engine has heaps of low down torque,

but lacks the upper rpm of the picco motor.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 AM
BANKRUPTER

Wow nice con rod ... Who you gonna have mod the new motor?
Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 AM
pipedup

Happy Easter everyone, I received a clear cover for my radio box and must say this is the bomb. I really like the weight savings:

Stock cover was 44g:

The cut clear cover is 10g, a substantial savings:

Alllright now I will get to witness what kind of power the Novarossi .28 has, especially a Clocked Racing Engine modified engine. If you would like to know more about the modifier here is a link to his website.

http://clockworkracingengines.com/

It is very cool how it came with my name on stickers to install on the truck, very unique, professional and personalized I like it

Also got the Nova race pipe that was specificly designed to make ultimate power with this engine, Novarossi 9886 super strong:

What a piece of art, the Italians really know how to make a good product, no wonder the Novarossi is referred to as the BEST engine made:

Love how they make the rotostart plate adjustable, this will have to be tuned to work for my application:

Here is the clutch I have chosen to use, I have heard good things about this setup and want to see for myself:

Stay tuned, it is starting to come together. The quest for 75mph+ is taking some ingenuity and thanks for all the helpful information and support.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great, should rip real nice.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Insanity99

That's some crazy stuff there [X(] there seems to be a few guys here that are trying to go fast with a savage, why it's not meant to go fast just be a beast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.