Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

savage top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Polar_Bus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: savage top speed?

ORIGINAL: ^Horatio>

My Savage has had more track success than any Revo where we race, and interestingly it has always had a higher top speed on the straight, too. I've always been more interested in lap times than top speed, likwise I tend to gear my MT to the track rather than any other variable. On the other hand, there's no harm in knowing how fast your Savage goes flat out, wide open, on different gearings.

Then your buddy needs to learn how to drive and tune his Revo. At my local track, there isn't ONE competitive Savage that can run even close to a Revo (driver skill being equal). Revos handle awesome as far as a race truck. My track now has a "1/8 Savage only" class to keep things more fun and fair.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

My sentiments exactly, thank you.[8D]
Old 10-03-2005, 06:03 AM
^Horatio>

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

My Savage has had more track success than any Revo where we race, and interestingly it has always had a higher top speed on the straight, too. I've always been more interested in lap times than top speed, likwise I tend to gear my MT to the track rather than any other variable. On the other hand, there's no harm in knowing how fast your Savage goes flat out, wide open, on different gearings.

Then your buddy needs to learn how to drive and tune his Revo. At my local track, there isn't ONE competitive Savage that can run even close to a Revo (driver skill being equal). Revos handle awesome as far as a race truck. My track now has a "1/8 Savage only" class to keep things more fun and fair.
Note I said 'ANY' Revo - there are numerous ones. Of course, driving and tuning skills are prime issues. But for the kind of tracks where I race - large, bumpy grass tracks with long straights and technical infield sections - the Revo has always struggled. Stock Revo's never stood a chance - underpowered, too softly sprung, over-geared. To be fair, my Savage is harldy stock though. Most of the remaining Revo's now have aftermarket engines and other mods. Whilst they perform better, when you look at the MT scene in the UK as a whole (you may need a looking glass - cos' we aint largin' it like you guys!!), the Revo hasn't really lived up to it's USof A reputation.

That's not to say it isn't a good MT, because clearly it is.

It would strike me that the Savage drivers at YOUR track are the ones that need to learn how to drive and tune their Savages. Perhaps you could use some grass seeds too..........

I'm certainly not about to jump on the 'Savages can't be raced' band wagon. But nice try.....
Old 11-21-2006, 08:48 AM
RVC

I clocked my pretty much stock Savage .25 at 139 mph yesterday. It was in 8 inch grass though. I think it would do about 150 on pavement. Just like my 06' GSXR 1000 can do 200+[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-21-2006, 01:45 PM
Gravrober

I'm far more impressed with a tug o war truck slinging torque laden wheelie ridding monster than one that can go 45 50 mph.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:49 PM
^Horatio>

ORIGINAL: RVC

I clocked my pretty much stock Savage .25 at 139 mph yesterday. It was in 8 inch grass though. I think it would do about 150 on pavement. Just like my 06' GSXR 1000 can do 200+[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Well, I've 'real world' tested my Savage's top speed, raced it for 2 seasons 2003-2004 and it now has over 14 gallons of fuel through it. I've posted useful gearing info for both the 2 speed and 3 speeds, given the formulae for how to calculate theoretical top speeds on all the possible CB/spur combinations and wheel/tyre combinations. Each to their own I say, but I hear some people claiming top speeds of less than 25mph, which clearly isn't reflective of any properly built/tuned/geared Savage. My Savage has done 37mph with the S .25 engine. I've enjoyed racing the Savage against other MT's and had far fewer problems than most, with some memorable results along the way. Perhaps the highlight for me was when my Savage was used in a 500lap team endurance off road race, in wet conditions, with a virtually flawless performance during the day's event. Stick your 200mph GSXR 1000 on a typical grass track and I reckon most club juniors would still turn faster laps with their stock powered RC10 B4's!!
Old 11-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Chronic

Don't waste your time trying to change their minds. It's always easier to blame your equipment than admit to a lack of intelligence and talent. Some people need a Revo, others are capable of doing it with a Savage.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:32 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

Do not tell my Savage that as I have spanked quite a few Revo’s on the local track with my Savage.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:31 PM
magictrev

Im a newbie so might be a lame comment but: it sounds like savages are low 30mph range, the new cen gst 7.7 sasy 45mph out of the box and it is way heavier. Would the 7.7 really be that much faster, I mean I know it has a big motor but were talking alot of weight and big tires? As I said im new to rc but my understanding was the savage was one of the faster 1/8 scale trucks?
trev
Old 11-22-2006, 07:04 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

First keep in mind that a 1/8 scale vehicle doing 30 MPH is going 240 MPH to scale. All so most claimed MPH by the manufactures is just to rope in people that do not know any better as most times is nothing but BS. I assure you if you run a RC truck off road at 30 to 40 MPH it is more then fast enough of at leas for I. I am more in to handling well then all out speed as I race.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:35 PM
INTEGRA

revo beat my savy on a track...HAH...i dont think so.... http://semrocc.ca/summerseries/results.htm
Old 11-26-2006, 04:49 AM
kurtf5

Mine goes 49 mph lolz !!!11
Old 11-26-2006, 09:54 AM
Revo Eater

This summer i spanked the Revo junk every weekend with my STS powered Savage. They are weak little toys in my opinion not even a true 1/8 scale.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:17 AM
INTEGRA

ORIGINAL: kurtf5

Mine goes 49 mph lolz !!!11

Suuuuure it does
Old 10-09-2008, 02:49 AM
SavageXdriver177

dude..my savage goes 45MPH already you fool the stock goes 41 damn you dont know nothing
Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 AM
electricnitro

LOL this thread was from 2 years ago[X(] and was started 3 years ago.[:-] I just read the whole thing and all I can say is wow
Old 10-09-2008, 03:12 AM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, man, there's some "old timers" in this thread. [&:]
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 AM
CrysisFX

ORIGINAL: electricnitro

LOL this thread was from 2 years ago[X(] and was started 3 years ago.[:-] I just read the whole thing and all I can say is wow
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 AM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

Wow, man, there's some "old timers" in this thread. [&:]
Yeash,but it does have a nostalgic feel to it. I love reading back on some of the older posts that we all put in, and I am amazed at the perceptions and misperceptions we all had.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
rcnitrohead

SavageXDriver, here is a tip-

Don't EVER tell people with higher intelligence and skill that they know nothing. You already came out looking like a dumb***, nice way to start out on RCU...

We try to argument in a civil manner in which everyone's opinion is heard, comments like that are useless and only make you look stupid.

Tom.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:11 AM
BudBud

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExDPpRdj_Vg]I think mine does at least 30![/link]
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 AM
rcnitrohead

Bud I think you're giving yourself too much credit
Old 10-09-2008, 10:15 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: SavageXdriver177

dude..my savage goes 45MPH already you fool the stock goes 41 damn you dont know nothing

ORIGINAL: rcnitrohead

SavageXDriver, here is a tip-

Don't EVER tell people with higher intelligence and skill that they know nothing. You already came out looking like a dumb***, nice way to start out on RCU...

We try to argument in a civil manner in which everyone's opinion is heard, comments like that are useless and only make you look stupid.

Tom.
SavageXdriver...here's a link for you http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8013051 Post #10

RCU is a friendly neighborhood, not a car forum that's full of misinformed ^^^
Old 10-09-2008, 10:37 AM
BudBud

Okay, I might have exaggerated a little, but I [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_QuBQ68TE]know this one runs at least 25![/link]
Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Okay, I might have exaggerated a little, but I [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_QuBQ68TE]know this one runs at least 25![/link]
hehehehe, isn't that GraveDigger's or trainrobber, or a diff member?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.