Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

i need help on upgradin

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:40 AM
savagett01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need help on upgradin

i know i want hardcore skidplates and arms ect. and the 4.6 engine. i hate the radio box soo what converters orrr hop ups should buy ect. 4 off road preformace. oooo and my older bro is gettin Lois LST soo i want to smash the f*%# out his i know he'll beat me even w/ a 3 speed trany soo what can i do

all the comments willl be a preaciated thanks
alot
Old 12-25-2005, 02:11 AM
mr invizable

Default RE: i need help on upgradin

hello mate, if you wanna race, and beat an lst you need to go either titanium or carbon fibre on your sav, as it is essentially an off road basher more than a racer and is built for toughness rather than speed, hence the weight.

another thing a lot of sav racers do is to lower the ride height by using lcg tvp's (low centre of gravity) and some buggy shocks, hyper 7 will do, but obviously if your budget stretches to 'em, mbx5 threaded ones are the mutts nutts!

add this all to your 4.6 and 3 speed, you should be in with a shout, failing that, get an rb .28 pricey, but racey!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:29 AM
-SomeGuy-

check [link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/HPI-SAVAGE-SERIES-RUBBER-SEALED-BLUE-BEARING-SET_W0QQitemZ6023932554QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem]this[/link] out.
check his other stuff, its really nice and if your lucky you can get them cheap, i got the shocks n towers, body mounts n bearings for about 100 $ shiping included!!!!
[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/HPI-SAVAGE-SERIES-7075-T6-ALUMINUM-BODY-POSTS-PAIR_W0QQitemZ6023937427QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem]body mounts[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-HPI-SAVAGE-21-25-SS-THREADED-ALUMINUM-SILVER-SHOCKS_W0QQitemZ6024383570QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem]shocks[/link]
[link=http://cgi.ebay.ca/HPI-SAVAGE-SERIES-7075-T6-ALUMINUM-SHOCK-TOWERS-PAIR_W0QQitemZ6024290450QQcategoryZ44028QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem]towers[/link]
i know its alot of bling but at that price???
!!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:58 AM
tmodlin

I would highly recommend staying away from aluminum parts if you are going for more speed and less weight. The stock Savage control arms and shocks are better than the upgrades if you ask me, and they are cheap to replace too. If you get the bigger engine you will have no problems with hanging with an LST, atleast in a straight line since the LST is heavy too. Make sure to get aluminum clutch shoes when you replace the engine, and make sure your spurgear and clutchbell mesh is perfect. You never really specified what type of driving you typically do but I am gonna guess that it is a mix of bashing with a little "for fun" racing with your buddies? Like I said, aluminum parts sure look pretty but add a lot of weight and really dont make the truck any more durable. I went WOT into my S-10s tire and only cracked one lower control arm, it was still driveable even. I dont even want to know what would have happened if I would have had alum parts. For one I probably would have broke a bulkhead and also bent my spendy, pretty control arm.

As far as other upgrades, a 5 cell hump pack is a must and if you have the Savage25 RTR the dual brake disk is a nice feature too. The 4 gear diffs and aluminum cups are good to have. Yeah I said aluminum cups, they seem to be the only place where I would replace plastic with aluminum

Hope this helps
Old 12-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Kanza

Don't worry about titanium or aluminum parts, since they will just add weight. Try lightening things up with carbon TVP's and install a closer clutch to spur ratio. I use an 18 tooth clutch bell with a 47 tooth spur. HPI also makes 19 and 20 tooth clutchbells if you really want speed.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:38 PM
savagett01

ooh i do off roadin and a little street well that would be lie'n i do around 50 50 but maby more grass than road but more road than dirt