Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

button roto start

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 AM
Bigchris090

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default button roto start

hi i got a savage le today the roto start button sticks help
Thanks
Old 12-25-2005, 09:52 AM
Polar_Bus

Default RE: button roto start

ORIGINAL: hyper7madness

hi i got a savage le today the roto start button sticks help
Thanks
Unfortunately it's a crappy design, mine did it too. There is a thin black insert that goes around the red button. (they usually fall off after a few months. Pop the black insert off, and the button works better.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Chronic

Mine sticks too. If you press mine again though, it releases. I've gotten used to just pressing it to start it and letting off, and then pressing it again quickly to get it to shut off.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:03 PM
spudders

mine fell off altogether i have to use an alen key to start it
Old 12-25-2005, 02:50 PM
-SomeGuy-

I have 2 roto starts and both of them screwed up so i went to radio shack and bought some new switches (4 for 5$) and a soldering kit (15$) problem solved...
Old 12-25-2005, 04:40 PM
podge_87

or a cheap cordless drill works as long as it has reverse and torque settings
Old 12-26-2005, 02:21 PM
rsomerton

hi there, i am brand new at this and just bought a savage 25 for xmas, i have a problem with the roto start on the engine, i used a revesable drill, with out a torque setting, just wondering if i did any damage, reason i ask, is that now when i spin the engine over. only the roto start backplate gears turn, not the engine, just wondering what could be wrong, it worked the first time, but now it doent engage the engine.

Thanks
ray
Old 12-26-2005, 03:14 PM
podge_87

probly screwed the owb as the drill has more torque than the roto start, if u flooded the engine the drill would keep pushin and cause the one way to break (i think) could anyone verify?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:11 PM
-SomeGuy-

ya for sure its the one way..
Old 12-26-2005, 09:03 PM
tmodlin

ORIGINAL: rsomerton

hi there, i am brand new at this and just bought a savage 25 for xmas, i have a problem with the roto start on the engine, i used a revesable drill, with out a torque setting, just wondering if i did any damage, reason i ask, is that now when i spin the engine over. only the roto start backplate gears turn, not the engine, just wondering what could be wrong, it worked the first time, but now it doent engage the engine.

Thanks
ray
The only way to find out for sure is to take it apart and see if the bearing cracked. Like said above, you probably flooded it and the extra torque from the drill probably broke the one way. Good luck.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:36 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: rsomerton

Thanks
ray

I don't know why people keep recommending a cordless drill for starting a rotostart. THEY DON'T WORK, AND ARE RISKY. The problems is most cordless drills don't create enough rpm's to allow the oneway to grab the crankshaft hex. Second, if you do have a cordless dril that can spin over a roto engine, you better have the torque setting turned WAY down. The handheld rotostart unit was designed to "stall" when you have a flodded engine. A cordless drill with high torque WONT stall, and could very well do major damage to a fuel hydro-locked engine. Use the rotostart unit, and keep a spare batter ready. If you are new to tuning, and have a hard time starting and running the engine, you spend a lot of time cranking over the engine , which wears down the battery charge quickly.