Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

woo I love father Christmas!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 03:51 PM
dst747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default woo I love father Christmas!

Savage at last! Ive been in electrics for a number of years and finally have my savage. Slight prob with running 1st time - cant get the engine to start. glo plug and start are fine. needles are factory. Followed instructions - using brand new tornado 25% fuel. Rotostart is fine, no binding, but the engine jsut isnt catching. also sounds like metal is hitting metal when i turn it over - piston touching the top of the engine? It is rather cold here, just below freezing, so do i need to warm up the engine etc? anyt solutions appreciated. MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Old 12-25-2005, 04:32 PM
podge_87

Default RE: woo I love father Christmas!

warmin the engine with a hair dryer and also check the flywheel isnt catchin on owt, which savage have u got?
Old 12-25-2005, 05:01 PM
dst747

owt? newb remember! 3 speed LE. cheers
Old 12-25-2005, 05:03 PM
A.B.U

Ahhh, your glow ignitor must not be charged all the way then. Should turn over quite easily. I had the same prob. with my LST. Finally figured out it was my Glow Ignitor. Ahh well. Try that. You may need to do it tomorrow.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Whoa G

if you wanna check quickly, just pull out your glow plug and grip the threads with a pair of needle-nose pliers (careful - don't mess up the threads), and stick it into the ignitor for a few seconds to make sure the ignitor is fully charged. it should light up the coil part of the element almost white-hot if its fully charged, and stay that way. even if it isn't charged, it'll light the plug for a bit and then die, so keep it in the ignitor for a couple of seconds to make sure it's FULLY charged - it takes about 15 hours for a first charge, and then 10-12 after that.

also, make sure you've primed the truck too, just stick your finger over the stinger of the pipe while you crank it for a couple seconds to make sure there's fuel in there.

btw you may have heard this b4, but wrap the head in tinfoil and use a temp gun to verify your temp is above 200 degrees for the break in - oh wait, you're probly using the static break-in, but the 200 thing is good after that too - makes the sleeve expand properly so that the piston doesn't wear out prematurely anything else, i would be happy to answer
Old 12-25-2005, 06:02 PM
jonmills

hi i got my savage a couple of weeks ago n this is my first rc so im still a newb but the metal hittin sound when u try n turn it over sounds like u need to raise the idle a bit using the throttle trim on ur handset
probably way off , but it might help
Old 12-25-2005, 06:08 PM
A.B.U

Ehh that "metal clanking" sound, is actually the piston and the fuel going through. Seems it's probably flooded, I dunno. Take the Glow plug out, flip the truck, and spin it for like 5 seconds, and put the glow plug back in.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:05 PM
dst747

glo start/plug is fine. Thanx for the help, ill try it again tomorrow and keep u updated. i am doing static break in, radio off as per the instructions
Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 PM
badboy2
My Feedback: (13)

dont mess with the needles yet ..try changing plug and charging ignitor first and make sure its primed too..
Old 12-25-2005, 11:06 PM
crazyotto
My Feedback: (2)

new engines dont start easy you always have to loosin the glow plug aittle to relive pressure due to oil in the engine from factory
Old 12-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Savage_Dias

Don't ever run a nitro engine with the radio & receiver off! If it decides to throttle up you don't want to have to chase it down. There's also the fact they like get blurped on occasion to clear out excess fuel & oil.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:04 PM
dst747

it cant throttle up with no electronics, and anyway, whheels of the ground so it wont go anywhere! just following instructions. Tried it thismorning and started fine! have run 4 tanks through as per the break-in., will continue and tune tomorrow. Cheers for the help.