Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

thinking about getting a savage, couple of ?'s

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

thinking about getting a savage, couple of ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Indecline099

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking about getting a savage, couple of ?'s

ok first off this will be my first nitro rc truck

im thinking about getting the ss 4.6, is it hard to assemble, i was thinking if its too hard to put together i would get the 25ss (i think thats the name)

i was also thinking about buying a used ss4.6 cause thats what i really want, what are some good prices for one, and how can you be sure that your getting one that was taken good care of, thats the only thing that worries me when looking into a used nitro vehical

thanks
Old 12-26-2005, 06:09 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: thinking about getting a savage, couple of ?'s

all savages are basically the same use the search button its pretty useful, its at the bottom of the page before this
Old 12-26-2005, 06:13 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only way to be sure you are getting one that has been taken care of is to buy a new one. You just never know what you are getting when you buy a used one. But if it's cheap enough, you can save some money buying a used truck.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Neil E

Indecline099 where in Texas do you live?
Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 PM
dark321devil

Savage's go together very easily. The hardest part in my assembly was actually putting on the clutch shoes. lol. Also building it yourself is better because you can take it apart and put it back together with ease and confidence because you put it together in the first place. Buy the kit.
Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 AM
Longhair

I was in the same situation as you a couple of weeks ago.

I ended up getting the 4.6 SS because I wanted to know the thing from the ground up when it came time to fix the thing.

Instructions are very easy to follow. The only problem I am finding is waiting for the radio gear to come in now. I took my time and did even more research on that and changed my mind 6,000 times before biting the bullet and ordering one.

No matter what you settle on, be sure that you have fun with the thing.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:48 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

If you can afford a new 4.6 and the other things you need then GO FOR IT... It will teach you the workings of the truck when putting it together, thus making repairs easier. I would reccomend the Werks 4 shoe carbon racing clutch as an instant replacement. It's about $55 and well worth it, also the throttle mod.....

However if you want to go with a used savage that has some hop ups already then so be it. Not only will you get all you need except the fuel in most cases, but you will save $$$$. You can find a savage on ebay that is built and with all you need for $400 and up. Start simple and work your way up... BUT if you do go with a used one invest the $80 bucks for a new piston/sleeve/conrod assembly and install it right from the door and break it in from scratch........