Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 06:04 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Price?

I just bought a 100% titanium lacrosse shaft for 110 bucks. now in the lax world this is pretty cheap. and its also from the best company IMO, now why is it so expensive to buy titanium things for my savvy? RC trucks are alot more popular than lacrosse so shouldnt titanium items for my truck be pretty cheap? I dont understand marketing so could someone elxplain why the price of titanium is so expensive? is it that rare?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:39 PM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Price?

Its not that its rare its that its hard to work with (try saying that 10 times)
i had a problem with my titanium chassis for my savvy; one of the holes was not drilled properly, i couldnt get the screw in it and in trying to fix it i ruined 3 dremel bits.Brought it to my lhs and the nitro pro guy laughed at me and for a good reason, you need a diamond tipped drill bit to drill that stuff.Thank god his other job was working in a machining shop and he fixed it for me for free.

P.S. can you tell me what does "IMO" mean?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:33 PM
dst747

IMO = In My Opinion
Old 12-26-2005, 07:40 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But still just because its ''hard to work with'' doesnt mean the price should be so outrageous. for the price of 2 titanium center dog bones i can get a new lacrosse shaft which is 31 inches long.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:51 PM
redbarton

Titanium is hard to work with. Part of the price is the marketing of Ti as as some sort of mystical, super metal. It's not rare at all. You can get crow bars and shovels made out of the stuff in the former Soviet Union.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:09 PM
tmodlin

Think of the manufacturing that went into your Lacross shaft, almost none. Now think of the machining that has to be done to RC parts to make them function properly. There are much tighter tolerances to be held and more steps in the manufacturing process. Like said above, it isnt the rarity of the metal but the cost to manufacture the product. Look up what it costs for titanium connecting rods for a Corvette or other high dollar engine, you will be happy you own an RC.