Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Alliminium clutch shoes

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:23 AM
nd_s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alliminium clutch shoes

Hi All

I have been reading the forum here and see that everyone suggests moving to alliminium clutch shoes,speaking to my lhs they say that the stock ones are better.
What are the advantages/disadvantages of going alliminium clutch.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:56 AM
thunderw0lf

Default RE: Alliminium clutch shoes

Aluminum shoes grip better meaning less slip and less heat and better hole shots. I melted the teeth of a few spur gears before getting aluminum shoes and haven't melted the teeth since. They will last longer. I have the Nova shoes but the aluminum shoes from HPI look very similiar.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:59 AM
boydie1

They grip better, reducing clutch slip and making your clutch run cooler. This also reduces spur gear problems associated with the larger engine cars.
Having had clutch slip, not long after I installed my SH.28 with standard shoes, the engine was noticeably revving harder with less & less car speed.
Get some aluminum shoes...you won't be disappointed [8D]
Old 12-29-2005, 08:19 AM
nd_s

what are the decent shoes for a 4.6 engine, will it need more maintenance than usual??
Old 12-29-2005, 09:17 AM
podge_87

i have hpi ali clutch springs how can i tell if there slippin cuz the engine is revving high and not changing gear, cud this be the clutch slippin, ( its not my slipper as its fully tightened then loosened 1/8th of a turn)
Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 AM
Geeza!

I run the Mugen alloy shoes in all my Savages, and i really can't fault them, they're very hard wearing, and give great performance.
The Nova shoes are also good, but most of my experience with alloy clutch shoes has been with the Mugens, i have 3 @ 4.6's they all have the Mugen alloy shoes, Mugen clutch nut and 1.0mm springs, i've found this a real good set up for my needs.

You can use the stock springs with the Mugen clutch.

My .25 has the HPI alloy clutch, but i have to say i'm not impressed with it, it started wearing very early, and obviously this would be worse with a .28 engine, so it's gonna be replaced.

I've found with the bigger engines .28, .30, .32 etc, the stock shoes are a waste of time