Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

heres my winter mod.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 01:36 AM
the dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heres my winter mod.

heres some pics of my winter mod and my homemade tie rod end. thats a paint cap over the air filter. and then the head has tin foil wrapped around then black electrical tape and then a plastic cap with the lid cut out and its taped on also. even with all this it still doesnt hardly get up to temp easily. i also use os hot plugs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw69242.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	377796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21232.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	377797  
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 AM
cchrider

Default RE: heres my winter mod.

thats pretty cool. But having tin foil wraped and taped around the cooleing head doesnt effect the way it runs??? I wouldnt want to do that because those fins help get air, and with all that stuff on it, it cant get air. Also, why did you put the foil and then black tape on it anyways??
cchrider
Old 12-30-2005, 02:10 AM
the dog

black tape holds it all together. its all part of the gRAND SCHEME OF THINGS. the head doesnt need any air if your not trying to keep it cool.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:26 AM
nd_s

I have read that you wrap the head in tin foil or a sock to bring the temps up when running in the cold
Old 12-30-2005, 04:48 AM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Well, it says that he is from Alaska, and it can get pretty deep into the negatives so I think that would be not enough to keep it warm. [X(]
Old 12-30-2005, 04:59 AM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

Put a sock or two over that setup you have now, and it should get up to the correct temp better
Old 12-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: the dog

heres some pics of my winter mod and my homemade tie rod end. thats a paint cap over the air filter. and then the head has tin foil wrapped around then black electrical tape and then a plastic cap with the lid cut out and its taped on also. even with all this it still doesnt hardly get up to temp easily. i also use os hot plugs.

Well you are thinking in the right direction, BUT wrapping electrical tape around your cooling head is a BAD idea. With a properly tuned engine, your cooling head will see temps around 250F which will quickly MELT that tape into a ball of burned plastic. If your engine is not getting up to temp you need to lean it down a bit. As for your cardboard over your filter, that's not necessary either, and you are seriously choking off airflow to the carb. I run 2 Savages all winter long, with just some thin sheetmatal zip tied to the head to block SOME, not all airflow. As for your air filter, run a Motorsaver with the thick dust sleeve, and you won't have any problems. MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS RUN A BODY IN THE SNOW AND ICE. This keeps out most of the snow when bashing. I have a "winter only" body that has no extra holes in it.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: the dog

Well you are thinking in the right direction, BUT wrapping electrical tape around your cooling head is a BAD idea. With a properly tuned engine, your cooling head will see temps around 250F which will quickly MELT that tape into a ball of burned plastic. If your engine is not getting up to temp you need to lean it down a bit. As for your cardboard over your filter, that's not necessary either, and you are seriously choking off airflow to the carb. I run ,y Savages all winter long, with just some thin sheetmatal zip tied to the head to block SOME, not all airflow. As for your air filter, run a Motorsaver with the thick dust sleeve, and you won't have any problems. MAKE SURE YOU ALWAYS RUN A BODY IN THE SHOW AND ICE. This keeps out most of the snow when bashing. I have a "winter only" body that has no extra holes in it.

Great Advice
Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 PM
the dog

thats not cardboard, its a plastic cap. and theres a decent gap all the way around the air filter.. and the tape is on the outside of alluminum and it does get hot but seems to stay on. i do have to also put a glove over head when i first start then it get hot and ill take it off. i have to be careful thouh cause a couple times upside down in the snow and the head gets ice cold fast.
i think it was polarbus that told me about all this and you were right about it all. runs light years better hot rather than cool.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:11 PM
rjfabrication

What exactly is this winter that you speak of???
Old 12-30-2005, 01:52 PM
Tweedybird

ORIGINAL: rjfabrication

What exactly is this winter that you speak of???
Ha! [8D] Wheres the Sun! and 65 degree weather.. I'm very skinny...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
the dog

ha,ha. (sarcasm)
i know this place does suck big time. way to freakin cold.
im going on vacation on the 3rd so ill thaw out a little.
we are moving south next fall. still in alaska though.
ca is good temp state.