Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Truckzilla

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Chronic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truckzilla

I know everyone seems to hate this setup......but why? The owner of the LHS has two and he's very happy with them. I watched him run his fully decked out one yesterday and the power is very impressive. Are most of the problems with that engine tuning related, or is it something else? I like the longer wheelbase too. I have read alot online about how much it sucks and I'm starting to wonder if those opinions are from first hand experience. When all else fails it seems that people fall back on the claim that it will tear the drivetrain apart. Which is it? Does the engine suck, or is it too powerful, or are these people just full of crap?

I don't understand, so what's the deal? I know it's not going to be a track racer, but why would it impair the bashing? You could always just swap the factory rims and tires back on for fun. I'm seriously considering this kit for my 25 LE when the time comes for a new engine and I'd really appreciate some input from people who have experience with it.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Creeeper

Default RE: Truckzilla

I got the twin truckzilla mod last year, which was a dream with the extended chassis etc but was a bloody pain to tune two engines. If one engine worked ok you could guarantee the other needed attention.

This mod made my truck fly down the road but was to powerful and was too thirsty (two engines drink alot).

As with your question, I really do not know why myself why people diss that option, from my experience they diss the TwinZilla alot because of the two engines... []

Creepz...
Old 12-30-2005, 02:45 PM
nightcrawler

i had a truckzilla conversion and it was ok the engine was hard to tune but the extended tvps where great and the wheels and tyres where a bit on the large side,dont think i would get anouther one just extended tvps
Old 12-30-2005, 04:16 PM
azzman

Yea from what I have read and opinions I have heard, I would go for the extended chassis and not the engine. Just upgrade your engine for a .30 or .32.
And choose a wheel tyre combo thats big but not TOO heavy.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: Chronic

I know everyone seems to hate this setup......but why? The owner of the LHS has two and he's very happy with them. I watched him run his fully decked out one yesterday and the power is very impressive. Are most of the problems with that engine tuning related, or is it something else? I like the longer wheelbase too. I have read alot online about how much it sucks and I'm starting to wonder if those opinions are from first hand experience. When all else fails it seems that people fall back on the claim that it will tear the drivetrain apart. Which is it? Does the engine suck, or is it too powerful, or are these people just full of crap?

I don't understand, so what's the deal? I know it's not going to be a track racer, but why would it impair the bashing? You could always just swap the factory rims and tires back on for fun. I'm seriously considering this kit for my 25 LE when the time comes for a new engine and I'd really appreciate some input from people who have experience with it.

Don't believe everything you are told. Especially by a salesman at a hobby shop. Of course he is going to "talk the 'Zillas' up" because he wants to sell them. Bottom line is they are a ripoff. I spent 6 months TRYING to get one to run acceptable. I NEVER did. It had great torque, but FAR less than what I expected from a .46 engine. My SH .28, and my Collari .30 will run right along side that truckzilla , NO problem. Tuning the .46 is a REAL challenge. I even went as far as to fit a Sportwerks .26 carb on the .46, and got it to tune and run even better, byt still only ok performance.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:33 PM
kimolop

Gotta agree with the above. Have had one for awhile. Runs great, alot of fun, but I think it took more effort than it should to get it that way. If I had to do it over again, I would pass. Am not very impressed with Hotbodies Customer Support availability or parts support either.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:43 PM
Chronic

Cool. I went to the LHS tonight and in talking with the guy, I pretty much decided against it. He says it's not any harder to tune than alot of engines, but he does say it requires some compromises that I don't want to make. I don't know..... I think it's kind of cool, but I don't want to do it to this truck. I might pick up a trashed truck later on and use it to build one. I just like those four wheel burnouts he does in the parking lot with his. His is three speed, now with reverse, and that thing moves! I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

I want POWER!!!!!! What are some engine suggestions? How does that 24.7 XTM compare to the Nitro Star 25? Any better out there for under $250-$300?

The owner of that LHS seems cool. I have no reason to doubt his advice. He just likes that kit, but his is really strong. In the past week I've bought a Savage 25 LE, a Revo, an LST2, four gallons of fuel, and a couple of hundred dollars worth of other crap from him. I hope he isn't stupid enough to piss me off just to sell a Truckzilla kit.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:59 PM
sprocket226

In the past week I've bought a Savage 25 LE, a Revo, an LST2, four gallons of fuel, and a couple of hundred dollars worth of other crap from him.
I can see dollar signs in your LHS owners eyes when you walk through the door
XTM Pro has more power compared to the S-25, but cant give you any info on the .28+ motors, except the Wasp.28...but we'll not go there...
Old 12-31-2005, 09:53 AM
Polar_Bus

Cool. I went to the LHS tonight and in talking with the guy, I pretty much decided against it. He says it's not any harder to tune than alot of engines, but he does say it requires some compromises that I don't want to make. I don't know..... I think it's kind of cool, but I don't want to do it to this truck. I might pick up a trashed truck later on and use it to build one. I just like those four wheel burnouts he does in the parking lot with his. His is three speed, now with reverse, and that thing moves! I appreciate the feedback guys, thanks.

I want POWER!!!!!! What are some engine suggestions? How does that 24.7 XTM compare to the Nitro Star 25? Any better out there for under $250-$300?

The owner of that LHS seems cool. I have no reason to doubt his advice. He just likes that kit, but his is really strong. In the past week I've bought a Savage 25 LE, a Revo, an LST2, four gallons of fuel, and a couple of hundred dollars worth of other crap from him. I hope he isn't stupid enough to piss me off just to sell a Truckzilla kit.
Dude,
One little tip......SLOW DOWN. I don't understand why you bought 3 brand new nitro trucks, and another $300+ in accesories, and feel the need already for more power in one week. Spend a little time with your RTR(s), get the tuning nailed to a solid understanding, do some engine searching within this forum, as there is a TON of "what engine" topics.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:49 AM
Chronic

Haha, yeah I guess that sounds like I've gone a little overboard. The only one that's mine is the 25 LE. I picked up the LST2 for my dad, and the Revo was for a friend. I've already went through a gallon in the LE, so I needed more fuel for all of the trucks, hence the three additional gallons. The accessories consisted of batteries, chargers, plugs, fuel bottles, temp gauges......I've still got to pick up some failsafes next week when he gets some more in stock. I'm going today to get a hump pack and charger for mine. I also think he sees dollar signs when I walk through the door, which is a good thing......I get good service.

I'm not totally new to RCs, just nitro powered ones. I already want more power in the LE. That thing is a beast as it is, but I want more. After doing alot of research last night, I think I've decided on the Racers Edge SF.32 engine. Got any opinions on that one?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:12 PM
nick88
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

The Truckzilla kit is a waste of money!!! The main portion of money is going toward a new engine, a .46 I think. The engine with the kit is one of the junkets ones on the market, you would have better luck with an CARAMONIE, or some like that (.30-.32) Those engines would give you about the same power and are a ton better in every aspect. You don't get anymore top speed, just more power to get there. The only benefit I see is a longer chassis, but you can but that separate by itself for only $59.99. I would not suggest anyone get the Truckzilla kit, no matter what it is. I own some local HobbyTown USA's and will not stock or sell the kits, because they are a complete waste of money and are junk!!! Invest your money into good engines, a longer chassis, and you are at the price, or a little lower than what a Truckzilla kit costs.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:56 PM
boydie1

Maybe try the sportszilla kit. I think it just consists of extended TVP's, longer rear center drive shaft and 7 inch UFO rims with fireball tread. The extended TVP's definitley give better stability and the you can just upgrade to whatever engine you want.