Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Pull-start help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 04:57 PM
CWC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull-start help!

Ok, where would I find pull-start string or ''cord.'' My pull-start string is worn out, broke yesterday.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:11 PM
Bigchris090

Default RE: Pull-start help!

buy new pullstart
Old 12-30-2005, 05:12 PM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine manufacurers don't sell replacement cord, so you'll have to improvise somehow. Maybe go to a hardware shop and look for some rope of a similar diameter? Try to get some decent stuff that won't fray or snap easily and you should be set. I've also heard of people using thin metal cable to replace the cord, but i think that's overkill really.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:37 PM
dark321devil

I suggest buying the roto-start system to replace the pull start system. It's way more easier to start that way.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:41 PM
the dog

from experience i do not recommend messing with broke pullstarters.
buy a new one, only like 20$ a rotostart can be fouond for like 40$.
i use roto and keep pullstart in toolbox just in case.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:16 PM
rob2267

were as a roto start makes it easier for starting, i think it does not give you that feeling of letting you know what the engine is doing, ie been flooded, tight or compression. you can snap the crank conrod pin, which is also used to turn over the engine.
Old 01-01-2006, 05:46 AM
RCDadChicago
My Feedback: (34)

I second the comment of damage from a roto-start, properly tuned, the pull-start is very easy. I also would agree, just buy a new pull-start, save you a ton of work rewinding the rope, etc.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:13 PM
youie

I replaced the cord on my pullstart with a much stronger cord of same thickness, in fact it was bought from a camping and mountaineering supply shop and has a very high breaking point. Although the pull start was new when i replaced the cord. Pullstarts do give you more feel on the engine status ie. Flooding. You really do need to have an understanding of when your engine is flooded. The standard pullstart cords are designed to snap to prevent engine damage when flooded. I replaced the cord mainly because it is more durable and last much longer through wear and tear, in fact i'm still using the same cord I fitted 7(seven) months ago and it still has some life in it but for good measure I am going to renew it. The pullstarts on RB engines are a piece of cake to replace the cord on. I have not experienced any problems due to the fact that I know when the engine is flooded and when the engine is cold I always prime the carb and loosen the glow plug a fraction before starting it.