Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 25 Tuning/Starting Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 PM
IBrakeForNobody
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 25 Tuning/Starting Question

While running the Savage today, I noticed there was steam comming from the cooling head. Seeing as steam usually means its hot , I richened it up about 1/8 turn, and then another 1/8 turn and there was still steam occuring. Today has been a significant change in the weather than when I usually drive, and I remembere I got the truck used so I thought I better check where the needles are. Low and behold, the high speed needle is 8 turns from fully closed. [X(] Well, I checked HPI's website for the needle settings on the Nitro Star .25, and it says 4 1/2 turns. So I carefully screwed in the HSN to fully closed, and carefully measured out 4 1/2 turns. Now it won't even start up. Swapped out the glowplug, and nothing. I did notice that when I blow into the pressure line on the fuel tank, I cannot push fuel into the engine, which is unusual. Any help out there? Also, is there a easy way to get the screws that hold on the cooling head off? I know is a 3/32 size screw, but they are STUCK. If I turn the allen wrench with vise grips or something, I think I'll strip the screw [X(][>:][&:] Thanks.

Oh, and the engine still has good compression, and I was getting temps around 250 degrees (F), although I disagree with tuning by temp...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:50 PM
bagged97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage 25 Tuning/Starting Question

That's strange, cause the weather here has been very different also and my truck is running like crap. My HSN is opened about 6.5 turns from closed and mu LSN is uoened about 5 turns from closed. I can't seem to get the idle correct. and my temps go well into the 280-290 range in about a minute of running. Then it shuts off. I have a feeling I might have an air leak or bad fuel. As far as your steam goes. Make sure the header gasket is tight. It might be exhaust escaping from the exhaust port and looking like steam.