Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

47t spur / 20t clutchbell

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 PM
bagged97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 47t spur / 20t clutchbell

Does anyone have this set-up, and what's the top end like? Gear ratio is 2.35:1.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:35 PM
miswa

Default RE: 47t spur / 20t clutchbell

depends on what kind of engine you have. i woudn't recomend it on a stock .25 engine, cept if it is for on-road.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
bagged97

I have the S-25 and I don't plan on any off-roadin with that gearing. I picked up the combo off Tower for less than 20 bucks. The way I see it, what the heck. I'm currently runnin a 52/14 combo and I GPS'd at 26.2. My buddy's got a 52/15 combo and we GPS'd his at 29.5. So I'm lookin forward to see what kind of speed I can pick up.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Mech747

well with that gearing and a stock .25 you will be loading up the engine too much. the top speed isn't going to be fast if the engine can't reach it's full rpm (friction plays the role) and your going to be dog slow of the line also your going to be burning up your clutch pretty bad. trust me when i was still running the stock engine and i tried the 18/49 combo it's top end got faster on pavement but in grass it was just painfull so don't gear it 20/47 unless you really like the smell of burning clutch shoes and really slow aceleration[X(]
Old 01-01-2006, 11:51 PM
bagged97

I know that the take off will be crap and I don't plan on going off road. I just want to see how fast I can get it going. Since this is the tallest gearing currently available for the Savage. I'm sure others might like to see how fast an S-25 might go.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:12 AM
Mech747

you will not reach the highest speed by simply slaping on the tallest gearing you could find cause even if you run it onroad you will have air resistance, drivetrain friction, tire friction not to mention your clutch slipping [:-] in order to pull such tall gearing you would need a current .32 engine and a top of the line clutch (3shoe alum or werks clutch) and a 3-speed but each to there own. have fun and tell us how it when
Old 01-02-2006, 12:19 AM
bagged97

Well I do have a 3 speed and i do have an aluminum clutch. I also have very large parking lot in which to gently get up to speed. I wasn't planning on just mashin it to WOT. I also know about the air, friction, and slippage. Do you think that a truck geared low doesn't suffer from those things also? But the beautiful thing is, if it doesn't work, I can take it off. How cool is that?
Old 01-02-2006, 01:43 AM
jastel

I'm running 20/47 with a Collari .32, 3 speed and Alloy GPM clutch shoes. The top speed is great and it hasnt wheelied yet.... the biggest problem i'm having is with the cone-shaped brass collet thingo that sits in the flywheel.... mine keep wearing after only 3 or so tanks. I'm thinking the gear combo is putting too much strain for that type of clutch so am considering getting a Werks clutch... well I hope that solves it anyway.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:30 AM
bagged97

You're flywheel is too loose. If you don't have that little piston stop tool that screws into the glowplug hole then I suggest getting one. With it you can really torque down the flywheel nut.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: bagged97

I know that the take off will be crap and I don't plan on going off road. I just want to see how fast I can get it going. Since this is the tallest gearing currently available for the Savage. I'm sure others might like to see how fast an S-25 might go.

With that gearing and a stock RTR S25 engine you will probably see 30 mph (downhill) if you are lucky. A Savage weighs almost 12 pounds. The S25 engine is great to learn nitro on. but has only "good" power. With a 20T bell, you are overloading the engine and clutch. You will probably smoke the clutch shoes and springs from excessive heat buildup, unless you only run on pavement. Tons of new nitro guys try to put a Savage through the speed zone, only to quickly realize they simply DON'T go fast.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM
bagged97

I've had it for almost 4 years now, and for 20 bucks, I'm willing to find out.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:58 PM
popadel

I have a 3 speed trany, aluc clutch, 7 inch wheels, a 52 / 15 combo and a modified NS25 which ourpowers a SS4.6 any day of the week. I can wheely if i step down to the STD tyres and it still wheelies at the track on jumps and coming up a hill. Top speed is still fast , - 40 miles plus and its a perfect power speed combo - but you do need the 7 inch wheels.

I have gone throug 8 litres of fuel and obnly due to serious bad landings on concrete humps at the track have lost the front diff pinion gear - ring gear OK.

each to their own.

Motor mods are as per the HPI site with my timing now on 175 exh 210 in and serious beveling on the snousher ports and inlets as well as a cuped piston and removed 2 of the three shims. Starts easy rides at 250F and mad does it rev nicely. Sounds like a worked 21. novarosi now.....mmmmmmm!
Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Mech747

dude you must have a motor that could reach the 40k mark if you could pull 40mph with 15/52 gearing [:-] oh and with the 3-speed it doesn't increase your top that much if you look close at the 3-speed you will notice that it has a much lower first gear allowing you to do wheelies easier but the third gear is pretty much the same as the two speed's second and if that modded engine of your can [X(]outpower[X(] a K4.6 your truck will be undriveable with the 3-speed and that 15/52 gearing of yours even with the 7inch tires
Old 01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: popadel

I have a 3 speed trany, aluc clutch, 7 inch wheels, a 52 / 15 combo and a modified NS25 which ourpowers a SS4.6 any day of the week. I can wheely if i step down to the STD tyres and it still wheelies at the track on jumps and coming up a hill. Top speed is still fast , - 40 miles plus and its a perfect power speed combo - but you do need the 7 inch wheels.

I have gone throug 8 litres of fuel and obnly due to serious bad landings on concrete humps at the track have lost the front diff pinion gear - ring gear OK.

each to their own.

Motor mods are as per the HPI site with my timing now on 175 exh 210 in and serious beveling on the snousher ports and inlets as well as a cuped piston and removed 2 of the three shims. Starts easy rides at 250F and mad does it rev nicely. Sounds like a worked 21. novarosi now.....mmmmmmm!
Total load of BS. 40 mph with 15/52 gearing ??????!!!!! The top speed BS just gets better and better........