Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

One way bearing !

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:05 PM
bennett2497

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One way bearing !

I just bought my Savage 25 and broke it in and ran it for a while. When i broke it in i had problems with the roto start kicking it over. So i decided to use a drill in reverse to crank it over. I must have done it for to long and melted the bearing. So i bought another one and replaced it . I ran it again today , first time since break-in.I used the roto start to start it. It ran alittle sluggish but i think thats because i don't have it tuned in yet. But after about ten times cranking it, it wouldn't turn over . Like the bearing went again. Are there problems with this bearing ? Would the pull start be better? What do i do to solve this problem? Please help, somebody! Oh yeh and i had it in the right way.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:10 PM
sprocket226

Default RE: One way bearing !

Pull start does have it's advantages, it is easier on the one-way, also when you go to start the truck, open the glow plug alittle to take compression off, when it starts, tighten it back up.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
bennett2497

Thanks for the advice sprocket ! How do the guys that run these all the time start them ? I have no problem buying a better starting system. I think that one way bearing set up , sucks ! There has to be another way , no. For the short time i had it running i was impressed, but its no good if you can't start it.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:42 AM
tmodlin

Take your bearing out and clean it with break cleaner. Most times your bearing is just oiled up or gummed up from nitro oil and slips on the shaft, especially after break in since it is running so rich. Inspect the bearing closely for cracks in the case. If you dont see any just clean it and give it a shot. I would also recommend at this time to seal your engine. Use some sort of RTV or silicon and seal the back plate to the block. This will stop the nitro oit from seeping out of the case and keep your engine from abnormally lean. Do the same with the carb where it goes into the engine.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 AM
bennett2497

Thanks again for the info. ! I sealed up the back plate with permatex and cleaned the bearing with brake cleaner. When i put it back on i turned it and it grabed some but did'nt stop on shaft and want to turn it solidly. <(best way i can decribe it ) But anyway i thought i would try it anyway , thinkin maybe it works under quicker torque & thows out the bearings to grab shaft. I'm still unsure how it works. So i put the truck back together ,was all excited to hear it run again . I loosened the glow plug to lower compression and i hit the roto start and nothing ! I could feel it slipping again . Now this bearing i bought on ebay and even though he said it was new, it didn't come in its original package. Maybe it was used ? What do you think ?
Old 01-02-2006, 12:48 PM
alvinl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one from Ebay is probably new. There are a couple guys on there who part out RTR trucks and sell the pieces. When you put it back together, did you make sure you put it in the right diretion? They can be reversed. Stupid question, but I thought I would ask.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:04 PM
bennett2497

Yes its in the right way , it should turn the crankshaft (clockwise). I took apart and this time when i turned the bearing the shaft was turning with it (the bearing was working) , but it was not cycling the piston. I think something broke. I could cycle the piston by turning the flywheel on trans side, but not when i turn the oneway bearing side. Now its not the bearing its behind the plate. I didn't look at the prints on the engine yet , i have been enjoying sharing it with you guys ,who also enjoy it. Plus i was hoping you would have some hints. Ive torn down many engines of all kinds , but if you know someone who has already played with the beast (sharing knowledge is a great thing ) Thanks man !
Old 01-02-2006, 01:25 PM
bennett2497

I was just looking at the manual to see how it went together. Could i have broke the starting pin or spring ? I am anxious to get it running again. What you think ?
Old 01-02-2006, 03:20 PM
bennett2497

I broke it down more to check the starting pin & spring. Sure enough the spring had broke and the broke piece curled around the other half and made the spring half its length. So i assume the pin wasnt being pushed far enough to catch the notch on the starting shaft ! Now im trying to find one on the net . I looked all over and i fiannly found one at the hobby people , but its backordered. Do you guys know where i can find one ? I even looked at hpi and it wasnt there, unless im going blind, i did just turn 44 , 3 days ago ! Part # 1433 hpi
Old 01-02-2006, 03:58 PM
alvinl

Here you go: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLN9&P=7

Towers lists it as in stock.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:08 PM
bennett2497

Thanks! I will let you know how i make out when the parts come in. Well maybe the bearings not that bad after all , lol !!! I must have damaged it when i first tried to start it and went to the cordless drill instead of the roto zip !
Old 01-02-2006, 04:13 PM
alvinl

If you use a drill, make sure to turn the torque down a little and you should be OK.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:25 PM
bennett2497

I ordered the spring & pin yesterday but i was impatient waiting for it. So i got an idea and the spring that broke in half , i just streathed it out . The truck started fine and i got to ROMP the beast today ! Boy it felt great ! I learned alot in these last few weeks about my truck & feel more confident about working on it.. considering its just mechanical !!! It's sure nice to know i have friends here in the future when other thing break ! Thanks for all your help
Old 01-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Polar_Bus

ORIGINAL: bennett2497

I just bought my Savage 25 and broke it in and ran it for a while. When i broke it in i had problems with the roto start kicking it over. So i decided to use a drill in reverse to crank it over. I must have done it for to long and melted the bearing. So i bought another one and replaced it . I ran it again today , first time since break-in.I used the roto start to start it. It ran alittle sluggish but i think thats because i don't have it tuned in yet. But after about ten times cranking it, it wouldn't turn over . Like the bearing went again. Are there problems with this bearing ? Would the pull start be better? What do i do to solve this problem? Please help, somebody! Oh yeh and i had it in the right way.

Do NOT use any type of drill with a rotostart!! The high torque of a drill is why you sheared the spring pin. The rotostart unit is specifically designed to "stall" when you flood your engine, and hydrolock it. This prevents expensive internal engine parts from breaking. The oneway bearings get oil soaked from time to time and they will slip. Simply remove the bearing, clean it with solvent, and you will be all set. Your engine tuning is way overly rich, that's why you flooded the engine, and why your oneway bearing started slipping. Lean your engine down a tad, and these issues will be minimised.