Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage "Classic" 25 RTR problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:07 AM
Narced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Savage "Classic" 25 RTR problems

Hi guy's,

First post to the forum from a Revo owner so be nice please.

Talked the next door neighbor into buying a Savage "Classic" RTR today. Drove 4 hours round trip to pick it up and we are having trouble starting it. All factory settings not touched. Full tank of fuel. filter and reciever off and slide opened a quarter (oh, and ambient temp 115 degree's fahrenheit so no use dragging out the hairdryer....LOL)

Seems to flood easily (to the point where fuel is literally pouring out the exhaust but not firing up.) We only get 5-10 pulls before we have to whip out th plug and drain her, Fuel literally pours out!

We have a new rechargable glowplug warmer, which seems to light the spare plug we got OK, but hoping a charge will get it really cooking (takes 14-16 hours!)

Got it going once. It idled really fast so we trimmed it until it stopped spinning wheels. When we did this if you even pushed the lever forward 1 mm it would stall and pop! We then retrimmed it to normal and commenced 1st tank runin. seemed to brake OK towards the end, and was running at 200-205 deg. F. Any idea's. Fuel is AP Pro 20%.

I read some posts and it seems they are leaving the factory running VERY rich, is this agree'd upon by the numerous Savage experts here? I know the manual says the HSN should be LEVEL with the bezel. When I rum my finger across it it seems about 1 mm BELOW the top of the bevel, but to me this is leaner isn't it so should not account for the copious amounts of fuel we are currently killing the lawn with!

Gonna wait till the morning and see how things go with a fully charged glowplug warmer, but any other advice in the mean time would be greatly appreciated. Desperate to help him get it going as his stadium truck was stolen recently, and I'm sick of his sad puppy face poking over the fence while I'm thrashing my Revo. He needs a severe Nitro fix!

Even though I own a Revo, I gotta agree it's a really nice truck, so congratulations to HPI.

Best wishes,

Craig..... Australia
Old 12-31-2005, 06:35 AM
snowbl!nd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New Savage "Classic" 25 RTR problems

That sounds to me as if the LSN is way too rich... Try leaning it off in 1/8 turn increments and see if it makes a difference. If the main needle is still at factory settings i'd leave it where it is or maybe just lean it off a little.

Ensure the glow starter is fully charged before trying to start (i.e try starting your Revo to ensure it works)

I am by no means a Savage expert (i own an MGT), but i've had to tune different engines numerous times (my own engines, friends engines etc) and from my experience i'd say you were running too rich.

I'm sure someone who's had to break in a Savage 25 will b able to give more detailed info.

Chris
Old 12-31-2005, 11:28 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

....and you shouldn't have to have the throttle bore open 1/4... Lots of big blocks are sloppy and use mad fuel during breakin anyway. You won't believe how different that engine will act in just a few tanks from now.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:43 AM
sprocket226

I got a new S-25 two weeks ago from HPI under warrante, and stuck it in the truck for break-in, it was set too rich to start
Old 12-31-2005, 07:23 PM
Narced

Hmmm, thanks guy's. Just a brief (but useless) update.

It's 10:00 am here and already well over 130 degree's F (it's about 42 deg. C, I'm not used to dealing in F.) so gonna be a stinker! Hot, dry wind.

Not good for running in anything (including the guy holding the controller!)

I slept in after New Years eve, but I know I was not woken by a softly purring Big Block, and Pete appears to have gone out so I don't know what's going on yet. Will keep you posted.

Best wishes,

Craig.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:18 PM
tmodlin

Wow, that is warm. I am in Minnesota and it is about 20 degrees right now and we are still 4 hrs and 45 minutes from the new year.

Good luck man. Like said above 1/4 throttle is a bit much.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 PM
boydie1

10 am....Thats not much off a sleep-in after new years eve . Even though its a hot one I'm still breaking in my SH.28 today after warranty repairs. Where in Newcastle do you live? I work up there and have just got one of the blokes from work to buy the savage/sportszilla but we are now getting swapped around to different shifts...BAST@RDS [sm=frown.gif]
Old 12-31-2005, 10:20 PM
tmodlin

I forgot to add, 42degC=107degF. So yeah, no hairdryer needed
Old 01-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Narced

OK, good news guy's! The day peaked at 46 degree's C, so it WAS hot! Probably did not even need the glow starter today, the plug nearly woulda lit up by itself on ambient temp alone!

When it cooled off (to 100 degree's F) at 6:00 pm, we tried to start the beast and she fired up on the 5th pull, so obviously the glow plug igniter was not packing enough punch.

Really disapointing day as I brought alloy P2 rockers for the Revo as part of the round trip. Installed the back ones OK, but removed the front ones and pressed the bearings in and fitted them up. Put the truck on the table and "flop", no front suspension.

OK, my bad I thought, got them the wrong way around so swapped them L to R and again, flop!

Checked the packet and the stoopid d%#khead has given me 2 sets of rear rockers. And as I had pressed the bearings in and could not get them out I'm outa action. Of course they were closed today, so no use there! This on top of several other problems I have had dealing with a "professional" shop in Sydney. I remember his words "just making sure I give you the right ones here" as he checked the packets hanging on the walls.

Should have rechecked them myself but was too busy eyeing off the little Losi LST Mini with twin brushless motors he was demoing to a customer (Jeeze, could that thing move!)

Might have to resource parts elsewhere.

Now I have to complete another 4 hour round trip to fix the problem, or wait for postage back and forth which would mean 4 days or so off the road which is no good when a guy has a new truck to run against! I reckon some compensation will be in order don't cha think?

boydie1, we are in Maitland.

Thanks all for your contributions, and even though I own a Revo, the Savage is a nice truck. Can't wait till tomorrow arvo!

Best wishes, Craig.....
Old 01-01-2006, 09:39 AM
bibo

ORIGINAL: Narced
we tried to start the beast and she fired up on the 5th pull
The Savage 25 RTR comes with a rotostart as standard , but what you are describing is a pull start ??????