Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

I NEED ADVICE "My first R/C truck!! "help please"

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

I NEED ADVICE "My first R/C truck!! "help please"

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:21 PM
Ironlegend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED ADVICE "My first R/C truck!! "help please"

HI, i am buying the " SAVAGE 25 " for my first R/C truck, i have been studing on what to buy and what was good i decied to buy this truck for its "price/duribilty/and overall performance" i have been watching all the Videos on beatyourtruck.com and i was impressed, But i have a few Questions about the truck, i want to use it in the street/dirt. i also want a lil more speed and strong duriblity,

what would be the smartest / easyest upgrades for the SAVAGE 25 , right out of the box, so i am set for fun with out worrying about brakeing EVERYTHING on it !!! lol

any advice would be aprecated thanks!!

Ironlegend

Old 12-31-2005, 05:33 PM
nightcrawler

Default RE: I NEED ADVICE "My first R/C truck!! "help please"

get glow plugs as for anything else drive it see what you brake as the savage's are very strong
Old 12-31-2005, 05:49 PM
Ironlegend

see i kinda would like to upgrade soemthing on it, becuase i want to make it more durible, for some reason i am afried stock wont cut it ? or will it ?

ironlegend
Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Crf250ed

I'm gonna go buy mine tonight, hopefully. I'll fill ya in.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:55 PM
nightcrawler

you mean you wanna spend some money on it(lol)get some new tyres and rims as the stock are not very good try 40 series bow ties on mambo rims look real killer,its hard to say what to get as you can get alloy everything (good as a shelf queen)a good thing is a twin brake disc set up
Old 12-31-2005, 06:27 PM
sprocket226

Take the "learn as you go" approach to hop-ups. Get youself aquainted with the truck first. Extra glow-plugs are a good idea, and also extra batteries, (hump-pack will be one of your first hop-ups) And be careful not to flood the engine when starting it. Make sure when you go to first start it, open the glow plug alittle (1/4 to 1/2 a turn) to take compression off the motor. These new motors have alot of "pinch" and you'll kill the one-way bearing if you try to start it, especially if you've accidently flooded it, and have fun!
Old 12-31-2005, 06:35 PM
Ironlegend

thanks alot i will try to fit it with the upgrades you all sugjested but i had "" one question whats a " Hump-pack" ?"" was that a joke ?

ironlegend

p.s also what type of tires are good for street use or dirt or both and will the truck need a shock or spring set up ?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Crf250ed

A hump-pack is a rechargable battery pack, that takes the place of the 4 AA's.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:43 PM
boydie1

FIRST buy a failsafe as you don't want your truck running away with you having no control over it. A hump pack battery and external charge jack is a must because the receiver cover is a right pain to remove/fit (just don't charge at more than 2 amps). Also buy a couple of spare spur gears... as a newb your likely to go through a couple as you learn to know your truck, especially learning to jump. I'm still running the original tyres that came with my savage when I bash, but I have fitted a more dense foam inserts in the tyres to improve handling at higher speeds.Another good upgrade is to a better steering servo (high torque - metal gear), but there are many different opinions which one is better Otherwise the savage is a very strong truck out of the box and just build up spares or upgrade what you want when things break.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
Ironlegend

rock on thanks for everyones help, i am going out to buy this truck tomorrow and i will get all the spar parts too, thanks for being honest guys

ironlegend
Old 01-01-2006, 02:55 AM
MTObsession

Theres great advice here that I agree with, especially the "metal gear servo" and ""extra spur gears". I would add a Motor Saver Air Filter to your list. It will improve the performance of your engine. You will notice when you replace the stock filter that you have to richen it a bit because you have a more effcient intake.
As far as other upgrades go, I like the "offset" or "Widemaxx" style wheels on the Savage. They increase the stance more than an inch & look really good. They make it more stable during cornering & prevent rollovers in most cases.

The general idea is to drive it for fun. When you break it, you upgrade that weak spot.

This is a great hobby & you can put your own "finger print" on your truck by making it your own.