Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Anyone Own a Savage X?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:28 PM
pjs675

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone Own a Savage X?

Hi RIMSHOT 1911 the body is a Hotbodies Silverado truck body the skulls and wire is a decal that you use in side the body it is from Jackal Hobbies # 11007 Internal Decal Kit. The website www.jackalhobbies.com
Old 05-14-2007, 06:30 PM
-SAVAGE-

Should be time to gettin my savvy out.
got an axial .32 engine! soo happy!
should be broken in by this weekend hopefully. Just waiting on the rear dogbone to come in at my LHS. I didn't get any carb restrictors, so 9mm should be fun to break it in with
i need some new tires and rims and a body.
i have this crazy idea to get my chassis plates, skid plates, bumper plate, motor mount plate, dogbones and cross braces anodized green to go with my green cooling head. but that's just an idea.

-SAVAGE-
Old 05-19-2007, 08:59 AM
jra918

hi guys, i cant seem to find the post regarding top end set-up, anway please help me out. We will be having an on road race next month, it will be held on an on road oval track. Here are my concerns

1. I want to put a 20T cb, what is the best spur gear combo with this? is this cb advisable for top end?

2. How can i make my savage x as low as possible? i saw someone at the track with a cut savage x stock spring, is this advisable?

3. during our practice run earlier, the fastest savage on track was using lrp .28, is there a more insane and powerful motor than this?, i am currently using the .28 of hpi, i want to smoke this guy literally, he was so boastful of his truck, most of us just kept quiet, probably pondering on which set up will be the best.

4. guys, i heard that some .28's sometimes can outrun some .21's, but with your hands on experience, please advise me on what engine is really the best for this race. your inputs are HIGHLY important.

5. guys, remember, this will be an on road savage race. Ty very much guys...
Old 05-19-2007, 01:24 PM
ashburg

to make it lower, use zip ties - run them through the shock towers (1 on each side), down past the dogbone, then through and under the lower A arm. Zip tie tighter to lower.

ORIGINAL: jra918

hi guys, i cant seem to find the post regarding top end set-up, anway please help me out. We will be having an on road race next month, it will be held on an on road oval track. Here are my concerns

1. I want to put a 20T cb, what is the best spur gear combo with this? is this cb advisable for top end?

2. How can i make my savage x as low as possible? i saw someone at the track with a cut savage x stock spring, is this advisable?

3. during our practice run earlier, the fastest savage on track was using lrp .28, is there a more insane and powerful motor than this?, i am currently using the .28 of hpi, i want to smoke this guy literally, he was so boastful of his truck, most of us just kept quiet, probably pondering on which set up will be the best.

4. guys, i heard that some .28's sometimes can outrun some .21's, but with your hands on experience, please advise me on what engine is really the best for this race. your inputs are HIGHLY important.

Old 05-19-2007, 10:34 PM
jra918

ok, thanks for the spring/suspension advice ashburg, ill try to do that, pictures will be really appreciated..., anyhow, for most of my concerns, hope someone will enlighten me on these.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:27 PM
tatsme72

Just got the X and break in went smooth first time out it was still a lil stiff but now is the wizz bang Luv it!!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Vigilante212

I dont know ashburg I attached weights to the front of my savage using 3 40lb zipties and all three broke in less then 20 minutes at the track. You could try stronger ones I suppose. Another way to lower the savage is to get LGC tvps alot of people like putting fuel tubing over the shock shaft inside the shock about half inch or so and removing the shock preload spacers. This setup will get you a half inch drop. You want to try and run the arms level with the bottom. As for the lrp z28 its an insane engine for the price. I own one and love it. You could pony up some dough and get a RB moded motor or a novarossi if you want. As for the Clutchbell I wouldnt go over a 19 you still want some torque and thats my recomendation for the LRP engine nothing else. im running 17/47 and a single stage phantom racing pipe. Im faster then most of the monstertrucks I race against just wish I was a better driver . Also any .28 will outrun a .21 in a mostertruck, the thing about .21 engines is they have higher rpm which makes them good for smaller trucks. You cant race a 1/10 scale with a .21 against a savage with a .28 the 1/10th scale would beat you every time assuming the guy could control it
ORIGINAL: ashburg

to make it lower, use zip ties - run them through the shock towers (1 on each side), down past the dogbone, then through and under the lower A arm. Zip tie tighter to lower.

ORIGINAL: jra918

Old 05-20-2007, 01:17 PM
pjs675

Hi jra918 To lower your savage x take the shocks apart cut 1 inch fuel line put it in side the shocks or get a lower chassis plates or nova shock mounts and use buggy rear shocks. I like 18 clutch bell and 47 tooth spur gear
Old 05-21-2007, 03:12 AM
jra918

thanks vigilante and pjs, one more question what is more poweful (tourque and top end)? lrp? sts 30? picco p3 .28?......this will really enlighten me on engine shopping, thank you very much for the inputs...
Old 05-21-2007, 04:02 PM
Vigilante212

If you want top end look for an engine with more ports 6+1 or 8+1 For more torque look for one with 4+1. You can balance out the engine by using a 2 stage pipe for a engine with more torque or a single stage pipe for an engine with more top speed. Gearing it properly helps also .
Old 05-21-2007, 04:34 PM
ashburg

hey Vig, tell me more about the port/torque/topend thing. Why is that?

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

If you want top end look for an engine with more ports 6+1 or 8+1 For more torque look for one with 4+1. You can balance out the engine by using a 2 stage pipe for a engine with more torque or a single stage pipe for an engine with more top speed. Gearing it properly helps also .
Old 05-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Vigilante212

Im not sure why its like that just what ive garnered from lots of threads. *shrug*
Old 05-21-2007, 07:08 PM
ashburg

lol, me too. I just wanted to find out once and for all what the deal was. Thanks anyway

ORIGINAL: Vigilante212

Im not sure why its like that just what ive garnered from lots of threads. *shrug*
Old 05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
poe

Does upgrading to alu. clutch shoes and pipe make a difference or should i save for a new engine? Thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 08:16 PM
-SAVAGE-

hey guys!
long time no post lol!
i have gotten my savvy broken in with my axial .32 engine in.I used the heat cycle method. works FLAWLESS! my savvy has more speed than i can possibly want.
i out dragged my buddies revo today. when i came around the second time to the finish (we were doing a there and back race) i smoked him on the corner. i saw his face, jaw dropped mouth open. I was like yeah!
i just need more torque. the engine hardly pulls the front end up. kinda sucks.
i had bow ties on, on my grass at my house, still couldent pull er' up.
i think i'm gunna go lower on the clutch. but first i'll put in new clutch shoes. that'll probably help. if it still dosent wheelie then lower we go.

I give the Axial .32 engine a 5* rating!
Speed 5*
Torque 4* (probably clutch shoes.. so 5*)
Reliability 5* (starts 1st pullevery time!)
Construction 5*

KEEP BASHIN!!!!
-SAVAGE-
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Joebaby35
My Feedback: (14)

It's been a long time since I posted. I just got a set of CVD's in the mail for my Savage today. I bought them from Ebay, they are no name brand or maybe I never heard of them before.

They are made by "RC Best" and look to be very nice quality and are hardened steel. I got them for $31 for all 4 shipped to my doorstep, so I figured WHAT THE HELL!

Has anyone here had any experience with them??

Are they good or will I be replacing them soon?

The reason I bought them was because I snapped one of the heavy-duty dog bones and did not want to spend any money on dog bones. I do not like using dog bones and try not to run them in anything I own.

Also I managed to break one of my new Savage X A-Arms. I didn't know until I installed the new CVD's. It still drives fine but I will have to replace it when I get a chance.
Check out the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19914.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	689093   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24644.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	689094   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf88045.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	689095  
Old 05-22-2007, 10:34 PM
Joebaby35

Anyone know if I could use the F4.1 crankcase to replace the S25 crankcase???

Just wondering because I could get one off Ebay for cheap.

I know the porting is different but porting is done on the sleeve. What I am thinking of doing is getting the F4.1 crankcase and transferring everything from my S25 engine to it.

I know for sure the head and pull start will fit but I am not sure if the crank\sleeve\carb will. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for you input.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93056.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	689819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52276.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	689820  
Old 05-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Rimshot1911

Hey guys do any of yall have any problems with the hpi steel spur gear screws backing out when you run the truck really hard???

Oh and i got some of the hot bodies dozer tires and the ufo rims. Man those are hudge!!!

They make my truck look really aggressive.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
mudbasher

what is the all a-round better of the 2 the T-maxx 3.3 or the Savage X cuz i got the CEN Genius and im thinkin about gettin another truck to use. send me your opion to [email protected]
Old 05-23-2007, 03:58 PM
Vigilante212

If your talking about the 2 piece steel spur its a common problem. Change to a solid steel one or go to plastic. One day those screw are going to come completly out and your going to wreck something. If you dont want to upgrade loctite them all in and hope for the best.
ORIGINAL: Rimshot1911

Hey guys do any of yall have any problems with the hpi steel spur gear screws backing out when you run the truck really hard???

Oh and i got some of the hot bodies dozer tires and the ufo rims. Man those are hudge!!!

They make my truck look really aggressive.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-23-2007, 04:03 PM
ashburg

savage x SS will smoke a t-maxx [8D]

ORIGINAL: mudbasher

what is the all a-round better of the 2 the T-maxx 3.3 or the Savage X cuz i got the CEN Genius and im thinkin about gettin another truck to use. send me your opion to [email protected]
Old 05-24-2007, 03:25 PM
Joebaby35

Anyone have any info on the post I did the other day??????

Anyone? Anyone at all??

ORIGINAL: Joebaby35

Anyone know if I could use the F4.1 crankcase to replace the S25 crankcase???

Just wondering because I could get one off Ebay for cheap.

I know the porting is different but porting is done on the sleeve. What I am thinking of doing is getting the F4.1 crankcase and transferring everything from my S25 engine to it.

I know for sure the head and pull start will fit but I am not sure if the crank\sleeve\carb will. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for you input.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:59 PM
Rimshot1911

Thanks Vigilante212 i upgraded to the red loctite instead of the blue... (hoping for the best!!!)... otherwise i have wasted $50... []

Thanks
Kevin
Old 05-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Joebaby35

Has anyone seen the video I posted below from the HPI website. HPI is trying to say the stock Savage X with a 4.6 goes 59MPH (96km/h). It's more like 39MPH (64km/h) which you can see on the radar gun. There was a glitch on the radar gun which made it spike to 96km/h for a split second and they are trying to say that is it's top speed.

I never seen or heard of any savage going that fast no matter what engine is installed!

It's a shame they can get away with such lies.

http://www.hpieurope.com/show_video....en&videoID=109
Old 05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
ashburg

If that's 59 miles per hour, my savage with a picco .28 will go 60

j/k - that really doesn't look like 59mph to me either

ORIGINAL: Joebaby35

Has anyone seen the video I posted below from the HPI website. HPI is trying to say the stock Savage X with a 4.6 goes 59MPH (96km/h). It's more like 39MPH (64km/h) which you can see on the radar gun. There was a glitch on the radar gun which made it spike to 96km/h for a split second and they are trying to say that is it's top speed.

I never seen or heard of any savage going that fast no matter what engine is installed!

It's a shame they can get away with such lies.

http://www.hpieurope.com/show_video....en&videoID=109

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.