Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Little help, please...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:20 PM
cord arrow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little help, please...

Here's the deal...savy X with about a gallon through it. Runs like a raped ape. Broke in with 30 - 35 heat/cool cycles, this is a good one.

While bashing with the boys yesterday, truck starts going crazy at WOT. On/off...on/off...sounds like it's leaning out really bad at full throttle, though I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I have a header tank, and this truck runs as cool at empty as it does at full...

So, this idiot commences to make radical jetting changes...no difference. Poop!

Determined to figure this out, I sat in the garage with the truck on my box...same thing. Starts great, I warm it up...say 200/220 or so, nail the throttle, same poop. Throttle is bouncing all over the place. What gives, I say...

Shut down the motor, check the servos, smooth as silk. No chatter, perfect! Hmmmmmmmmmm, says I.

Start the little bastid back up, same poop. On/off...on/off. Double poop. On a whim I kill the TX & run the throttle with my finger....runs absoluletly perfect! Quick off the bottom & fast & steady on the top. You guessed it...POOP.

Full charge in the RX...new batteries in the TX.

Tomorrow I'll stick some new crystals in, screw with it some more...

Thought I'd ask if anyone has run across this before I go chasing it all over God's half acre...

Old 05-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Little help, please...

Yes, I have the exact same problem right now. I've identified it as a shot receiver. Except in my case it was the steering that was doing it when the engine revved. In your case, something has gone wrong on channel 2, and the interference caused by metal on metal while the engine is running, is leaking through the channel. Do you have another receiver you could try? That's how I finally identified it.

EDIT: Just a by the way, mine happened after a particularly hard landing from about 10 feet onto the roof of the car (upsaide down landing, no shocks on the roof [:@]), while trying to perform a backflip.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:29 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: cord arrow

Here's the deal...savy X with about a gallon through it. Runs like a raped ape. Broke in with 30 - 35 heat/cool cycles, this is a good one.

While bashing with the boys yesterday, truck starts going crazy at WOT. On/off...on/off...sounds like it's leaning out really bad at full throttle, though I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I have a header tank, and this truck runs as cool at empty as it does at full...

So, this idiot commences to make radical jetting changes...no difference. Poop!

Determined to figure this out, I sat in the garage with the truck on my box...same thing. Starts great, I warm it up...say 200/220 or so, nail the throttle, same poop. Throttle is bouncing all over the place. What gives, I say...

Shut down the motor, check the servos, smooth as silk. No chatter, perfect! Hmmmmmmmmmm, says I.

Start the little bastid back up, same poop. On/off...on/off. Double poop. On a whim I kill the TX & run the throttle with my finger....runs absoluletly perfect! Quick off the bottom & fast & steady on the top. You guessed it...POOP.

Full charge in the RX...new batteries in the TX.

Thought I'd ask if anyone has run across this before I go chasing it all over God's half acre...

You're funny dude......raped ape?...LOL

Sorry can't help...my Savy runs just fine.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:34 PM
Foxy

Nearly 5000 posts and that's all you have to say! That's funny!!

Here, you'll probably like this one too, it's a fave of mine...beat your truck like it was a red-headed stepchild.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:41 PM
cord arrow

Except in my case it was the steering that was doing it when the engine revved.
Yep. I noticed out of the corner of my eye that the steering was going nuts occasionally as well...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Foxy

Mmm, try another receiver if you can. Never hurts to have a spare even if that's not the problem.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:46 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: foxy42

Nearly 5000 posts and that's all you have to say! That's funny!!

Here, you'll probably like this one too, it's a fave of mine...beat your truck like it was a red-headed stepchild.
I actually thought it was funny...you knwo...ha ha funny. No need to be an ass about it.

Besides, you pretty much solved it with the Rx so not much else to say.

cord arrow, RTR radios systems are cheap and usually don't last. Go out and buy yourself a nice new Rx.

Feel better now foxy?
Old 05-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Foxy

Wow, I was kidding around with you. I know what you meant. Sorry if you took offense, that was not at all my intention. Hard to express yourself in text, sorry, you obviously got the wrong idea from my post, I was not being an ass, just having a laugh with you.

But yeh, I do feel better, thanks.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:05 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: foxy42

Wow, I was kidding around with you. I know what you meant. Sorry if you took offense, that was not at all my intention. Hard to express yourself in text, sorry, you obviously got the wrong idea from my post, I was not being an ass, just having a laugh with you.

But yeh, I do feel better, thanks.
Ya, bad part about the interent is ppl take things the wrong way almost every time.

No worries...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
cord arrow

Ya, bad part about the interent is ppl take things the wrong way almost every time.
And, it doesn't help to be half a world apart...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:22 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: cord arrow

And, it doesn't help to be half a world apart...
TRUE!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:39 AM
rclynx

Its always the bloody Brits fault, just ask the Germans.......................LOL

Sorry couldn't resist that one m8[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-06-2007, 09:30 AM
cord arrow

Well, I changed the crystals this morning, everything seems to be back to normal.

I dunno, maybe they were loose or something...

One thing I did notice, I was pinching my fuel line to check my LSN, and when the pliers touched the motor the servos jumped & chattered.

Is this normal or could it be more of what foxy42 was referring to:
the interference caused by metal on metal while the engine is running, is leaking through the channel.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Foxy

Exaclty what I was referring to. But it's not a problem, that's normal, the interference caused by the pliers contact with the engine will leak through the channels on all but the most expensive radio systems.

EDIT: Sounds like you solved the problems with the crystal. Well done.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
cord arrow

Sounds like you solved the problems with the crystal. Well done.
Thank you for your assistance....

You gentlemen are a wealth of information.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
lauderboy

like all the rest say try the reciver but also the crystals that was my prob
Old 05-06-2007, 10:43 AM
kd7oir

I had the same prob. with a servo and found out after I opened it up, a solder joint had come lose inside. Resoldered it and it is as good as new. I was ready to buy a new $100.+ servo till then. I always open up an electric part after determining it's bad because I've already decided I need a new one and this one is bad, so I cant screw it up any worse. 9 out of 10 times it's just something simple like a bad wire or solder joint and I've saved a ton of money. With the motor vibration and punishment we put these through, it happens alot.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:28 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: kd7oir

I had the same prob. with a servo and found out after I opened it up, a solder joint had come lose inside. Resoldered it and it is as good as new. I was ready to buy a new $100.+ servo till then. I always open up an electric part after determining it's bad because I've already decided I need a new one and this one is bad, so I cant screw it up any worse. 9 out of 10 times it's just something simple like a bad wire or solder joint and I've saved a ton of money. With the motor vibration and punishment we put these through, it happens alot.
You have the right attitude, but the ratio is more like 1 out of 10. Most electronic damage is done internally and unrepairable.

I think you might have teh right idea cord arrow, when that motor is WOT it's causing a vibration the other xtals didn't like. Happy bashing!!