Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Today's playful remains... another BBBV

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 PM
BudBud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today's playful remains... another BBBV

BBBV Bud Bud Boring Video....

Anyway, it was nice today, almost 60! I grabbed three vehicles and headed to the lake. The first is the NovaRossi in the Mugen, it sounds lean, I cannot get away from it and I fear it has something wrong with it. Tib says it could be missing a head shim, so I will have to quit running it until I get the tools to remove the head. It was an Ebay purchase, it is a N528XR, but it has a 21 head on it. I am not sure if that is the problem, one would think the button would be the same.

Then I ran the modded 5.9, I have not touched the needles since the snow video and it is a little rich, for what I was doing, I did not care, it still had plenty of power, it was just hard to warm up! I made fun of my son's tail landings last week when he destroyed my other Terra Crusher body and I did a pretty good job of wrinkling this one this week. I broke the right rear upright, but I ran it for a little while broken, it sure makes for some strange turning....

The last vehicle I ran was the modded Picco 28, in the Savage 25 LCG chassis with Dog Bones. I must say that engine is still amazing, it is definitely the big horse in my barn. I was having some tuning issues, the needles were acting strange and it was not responding like it should. A quick change of the glow plug and it dialed right in. I think this is only the second plug I have put in and we are surely over six gallons now. Anyway, it was warm, windy and fun... Glen

[link=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=T1irdWsx7YI]BBBV of the day.....[/link]
Old 01-31-2009, 12:53 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Today's playful remains... another BBBV

Awesome BB

Good to see that Mugen movin under its own power!
Old 01-31-2009, 02:27 AM
BudBud

Supertib was correct, too few shims, it has been detonating, the N528XR that is, parts on the way. The piston and button look like they have been sandblasted. We are lucky to have an engine guy like that among us! So it will be side-lined for a few days, I just happen to have a Picco 28 available. [8D] Imagine that....
Old 01-31-2009, 02:56 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What made you go with the nova over the picco?

6 gallons huh... that thing is still a monster.... INSTANT power. How did you break in the modded picco?
Old 01-31-2009, 03:45 AM
BudBud

The Nova was in the Mugen when I bought it. I always wanted to try one, it is in pretty good shape, but it is not nearly as strong as the Picco, I was surprised. Of course, it has been detonating, so maybe when the head shims get here, I will get some more power.

Breaking in the modded Picco was very easy, I sent it to Tib new, he modded it and sent it back. I installed it in my XL, set it on an ammocan and set the throttle at a moderate rpm, using the servo to hold it with the radio off, no battery power. Watched the temperature closely, no need to as it was not coming up. I grabbed the two tires close to me to make it drive through the differentials, in effect, making load by spinning the differential oil. It was not enough, so I grabbed a foam block and just pushed the front tires into the foam to make friction. Ran it up over 250 a couple of times, then ran it rich. There is a whole series of videos from the first running clear through. I had a hard time getting it warm at first and wheelies were vicious, so I backed out the 1-2 clutch on a two speed and ran it in high gear all the time. I do not think it has ever been lean, I just adjust it lean enough to blow the tires away and quit. I have never had it really screaming hard yet.

I know that sounds funny watching it, but it really has been way stronger than the chassis can handle. Even gearing it up and running on Terra Pins, it never got warm. I am not sure it ever made it back to 250 after break in. I ran Byron's Gen 2 Race in it for the first three or four gallons and ran out. It has been running on Trinity Monster Horsepower 30 since then. I am on my last gallon of Trinity, so I will be going back to Byron's.

Out of precaution, I changed the rod and the bearings. Sort of a cheap insurance policy... Glen
Old 01-31-2009, 08:17 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice front-flip.. [X(]

[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-31-2009, 08:23 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What tires are on that Mugen? Some Badlands or Mulchers or something might speed things up, or? More traction?...
Old 01-31-2009, 02:01 PM
BudBud

They are Hole SHots, I will get the rest of the problems ironed out, then look for more traction. It is Picco powered now, had one here on the desk to drop in... I know that is hard to imagine.... [8D]

I installed a new upright on the right rear of the 5.9, recharged the batteries, put new wheel bearings in the left rear of the 5.9 truck. It is really nice out today, as soon as the second rotostart battery shuts down to trickle charge... I am outta here!

Today is the 23rd anniversary of Bernard Maurice Moore of the Washington DC area shooting me three times in the chest and once in the right thigh as I was unconscious on the ground. I take this day off every year if the schedule allows and go do something I enjoy. Today, it is burning nitro.... Should be another BBBV tonight... if all goes well. [8D] This is my it is good to be alive day.... [8D] Glen
Old 01-31-2009, 06:03 PM
groundskygroundagain

Bloody hell!

Dunno what to say to that.

Except that i don't know you apart from on here, but from what i've seen and read on here i'm glad you made it thru.

Good luck to you and hope today is great.

GSGA
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
BigGrump

shooting me three times in the chest and once in the right thigh as I was unconscious on the ground.

You took the "hit" for all of us. Thank You. I Salute you. There is simply no stopping a good man, whcih you certaintly are.

Here's hoping there are barrells of nitro fuel ahead in all our lives.

Dennis
Old 02-01-2009, 06:55 AM
BudBud

Thanks Dennis... I went out and ran yesterday. The Mugen's Ebay special Picco 28 is a screamer, you have to love it when you get a low milage P3 for under 100 dollars... The CVDs in the rear both puked a pin, so I had to go back to running Savages. The 5.9 lost a couple of engine plate screws and chewed up a spur and clutch bell. The Modded Picco ran great.... No BBBV for the day. Maybe today I can go out and play a little... I have all of yesterday's carnage fixed. Glen
Old 02-02-2009, 07:32 PM
SAVAGEBANE

ORIGINAL: BudBud

They are Hole SHots, I will get the rest of the problems ironed out, then look for more traction. It is Picco powered now, had one here on the desk to drop in... I know that is hard to imagine.... [8D]

I installed a new upright on the right rear of the 5.9, recharged the batteries, put new wheel bearings in the left rear of the 5.9 truck. It is really nice out today, as soon as the second rotostart battery shuts down to trickle charge... I am outta here!

Today is the 23rd anniversary of Bernard Maurice Moore of the Washington DC area shooting me three times in the chest and once in the right thigh as I was unconscious on the ground. I take this day off every year if the schedule allows and go do something I enjoy. Today, it is burning nitro.... Should be another BBBV tonight... if all goes well. [8D] This is my it is good to be alive day.... [8D] Glen
Wow.....i hope that F@#$%r never sees the light of day[:@] if he is still alive. i cant imagine taking 1....let alone 4 bullets. needless to say, we are all glad that you pulled through. Savage thread would not be the same without you, so continue to crank out those BBBV's (lol) burning nitro like there is no tomorrow!
Old 02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
BudBud

He is out and last I knew, back in the Baltimore area. If you own a gun store, liquor distributorship or tobacco company.... watch out... It is nice to be here and I appreciate the support. Tomorrow is another nitro burning day.... I have the next two off... we will be smoking....
Old 02-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Van Pelt

Wow.. I'm speechless. It's amazing how everything happens for a reason. Not that it ever makes any sense though. God bless you pulled through it. I like how you celebrate the day. My wife, her parents, and myself were on a boat that sank on a huge lake in a storm.... 3 hours in the water and a boat appeared out of no where and rescued us (still 7-9 ft swells). We to celebrate our day that we got a second chance.

Thanks for sharing Glen.

Jon.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:36 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn man... sounds like the big man likes you.

If you don't mind me asking, what happend?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

Damn man... sounds like the big man likes you.

If you don't mind me asking, what happend?
U have a PM... today is hopefully a nitro burning day, hoping to bore everybody some more... Glen
Old 02-03-2009, 07:20 AM
hydroboy
My Feedback: (1)

Hey BudBud is that P3 you dropped in the Mugen the one I sold Ya? (the turbo) If it is I'm glad it worked out for you. Congrats on your anniversary!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: hydroboy

Hey BudBud is that P3 you dropped in the Mugen the one I sold Ya? (the turbo) If it is I'm glad it worked out for you. Congrats on your anniversary!
That's the one! It really rips...hard to imagine that much power for that little money! Glen
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
twobnvd

Sorry to hear all you went through Bid Bud. I am in his area hope I never run across his path.. I work in D.C not to say there isnt more of his type but glad you pulled through.. Crazy stuff man! Oh and thanks for shaering the videos I always appreciate them.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 PM
hydroboy

ORIGINAL: hydroboy

That's the one! It really rips...hard to imagine that much power for that little money! Glen
Hey for the amount of help you've been in these forums I hope you get alot of runnin on it! Did you say it had scratches in the piston and sleeve or was that a different one?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:32 PM
BudBud

It is fine, I will run it like it was stolen... if it needs something, I probably have the parts here someplace....