Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Stopping flipovers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM
01s0uljah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopping flipovers

Previously in my X SS thread I mentioned that I swapped the Dirt Bonz for Terra Pins on my Savage.. The result of this is massive flip overs.. I pretty much have to come to a complete stop before I can turn other wise the truck will flip right over..

What can I do to minimize the flip overs? I've put the shocks to the lowest hole on the shock tower.. And I'm debating whether I should put fuel tube spacers to lower the savage down.. But this would take away from the effectiveness of the shocks rigjt?
Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
bigwaltc

Default RE: Stopping flipovers

I run them on my X also and I have the same problem well I don't have to stop to turn but it does roll easy. The terrapins were designed for the XL which is a lot wider then the X that's why you don't see them on a X,XSS or the flux [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM
BudBud

They sure wheelie easy though, it is about impossible to catch the wheelie bar, but they stand right up in those short trucks.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
01s0uljah

I did end up taking off my wheelie bar..

I like them alot cause it feels alot more stable when I run at high speeds where as on the Dirt Bonz.. it feels like its gonna explode..

Anybody with suggestions on how to reduce roll overs? or improve stability?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:29 PM
bigwaltc

Convert to the XL axle cups and spacers that will make it wider [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Dman250

just an idea but have you ever watched monster jam? they have tethers on the truck axles not to low the suspension but to keep it from dropping out to far.. anyway that just gave me an idea. Put a weight on the truck to weigh it down and run a strong string through the suspension arm where the suspension connects, then find a spot around the shock tower to run the string through and tie it off. Do this for every arm then take off the weight, the squat you got from the weight will stay if you tied the strings tight. This will lower the ride height and center of gravity resulting in less flips. Dont know about the handling i would expect it to be better than flipping all the time.

Anyway for the string try somthing like spider wire fishing line, 50lb test should do. OOO and another thing, you know the post that holds the body? Try looping the string through the pin that holds the post in place. Anyway sounds crazy but never know till you try.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:34 PM
01s0uljah

Thanks for the tip.. I think i've got a similar solution.. There was a post the other day with a slammed down savage.. He put fuel tubing inside the shocks to limit the length the shocks could expand thus lowering it.. I ordered another set of stock shocks from ebay.. so I'll experiment with that.. Its the same concept though

Bigwaltc

I was planning to do a XL conversion.. But I'm still debating whether I should save up some money and actually buy the savage XL.. or maybe a XL SS Kit may come out soon
Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM
rotzilla

the terra pins have a soft sidewall and it gives them alot of sideroll even on the xl.