Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

X dogbones with XL cups?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:06 AM
spoonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X dogbones with XL cups?

Is it possible to use the X SS dog bones with the XL cups? Seeing as they are 2mm thinner it shouldn't matter right? They are the same length. I bought the extended cups without realising they were for the beefier dogbones!
Old 07-14-2009, 06:52 AM
Doctp1885

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: X dogbones with XL cups?

Spoon, you should be ok with that setup.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
hghflyrjd1

Not only is the shaft thinner on the x dogbones I'm sure the ball ends are too. So u will have a lot of slack and play. U run the chance of itpoping out or doing doamgae to the cups etc
Old 07-14-2009, 08:09 AM
BudBud

It will not work, your bones will not stay in the drive cups.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:48 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

And they wont be spinning true so you will get all kinds of vibrations, and run the risk of easly bending them due to the fact that they wont be spinning ture.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:30 PM
whipnet

If you run the XL cups you have to use the XL bones.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 AM
spoonrc

Actually I just got my XL cups. Theres no play.. they fit fine and seem like I wont have any problems.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: spoonrc

Actually I just got my XL cups. Theres no play.. they fit fine and seem like I wont have any problems.
Come on man, be honest... that will not work. X bone in an XL axle. Glen

Old 07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
spoonrc

Why doesn't it work? They seem to slip together perfectly. The bone doesnt sit out, I realise that but they should hold up for a little while. Its not perfect but it will definitely will work. The only play is that the ball is 2mm smaller, once some o-rings/fuel line is behind the balls they should be ok.

I will just run them until they give way.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM
BudBud

The size difference is enough that the drive pins are not long enough to stay engaged. In the previous post the pins are not long enough to stay in the slot, they will slide out.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:22 AM
BudBud

I just checked the standard X bone in the Flux differential, same as an XL and you might get that end to stay in the drive cup. The X dogbones are very sloppy in the Flux cup, but they might stay. They will not stay at the other (axle) end. I have the parts free here and can shoot you a short video clip of a proper fit and the X fit, if you like. Remember that these will be turning an insane rpm and have no guide bearings for alignment.

Edit... I was just messing with them and the X bone will move far enough away from center for the drive pins to strike the differential bulkhead. I do not think you really want to run them that way. Glen
Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM
sparky 25

So if we want to run xl width on an x do i need xl diffs as well as driveshafts?,

or do the xl diff cups fit the x diffs
Old 07-15-2009, 01:42 PM
3-172IN MTN

If you wanna run the bones you need to update diff cups and drive shafts!
Old 07-15-2009, 05:16 PM
BudBud

The Differential Cups will work in either differential. Some of the XL advertisements claim a stronger pinion, but the old pinions are direct replacements and I cannot tell the XL pinion lasts any longer than the X pinions. The drive cups are larger and will fit the X differential. The dogbones are obviously larger and the outer axles have the larger cup. I have bent some XL bones by crashing, but have never broken one. If you want to run the heavy bones and not the added width, buy Flux axles. Glen
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
jbooker82
My Feedback: (4)

I just bought the x upgrade kit. I think I got the diff drive cups, standard width outer drive cups and hd axles for all four corners for 50 bucks or so from Hopmeup on ebay.

josh
Old 07-15-2009, 10:01 PM
BudBud

When you decide to do wide, it will cost another 20-25 dollars or so. I like the heavier bones, even though they should take away a little power due to rotating mass. It is nice to to worry about breaking them. Glen
Old 07-16-2009, 01:23 AM
spoonrc

Thanks Budbud, big help! I will give them a try. LHS in australia really suck and over charge on everything so I always buy from the states and wait a week or so for postage. Just want to run this weekend. I am not using XL outdrives though I am using the XL wider cups.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
whipnet

For those looking for a big meaty bone but don't want to convert to XL, FLM makes some really sweet ones. Been using them about a year and have never replaced one.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:38 PM
stlfreeride03

about those X bones in the XL, I lost 1 in the Xl and my LHS didnt have the Xl bones and my buddy had a X bone laying around so I tryed it...The Picco twisted the ball 1/2 turn in no time..
Old 07-16-2009, 10:48 PM
spoonrc

Yep. Budbud is definitely right (as usual). The ball looks like it will pop out easily when turning and running. I am running a picco aswell and I can see that happening for sure. Going to play it safe and wait for stock of the XL cups and bones.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:00 PM
wileecoyote
My Feedback: (1)

Okay, dont want to beat a dead horse but, Im looking to go wider for rollover issues. With the XL axles I will need to go with the diff cups and the axles also from the XL? I hate how the thing flops over at almost every turn. Or am I missing something? Oh yeah, its a Savage with the 25 in it. So a fairly older one. I got the axles off fleabay already but dont want headaches. Thankyou much for any/all info ya'll can provide.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
KID_EVIL!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Forgot dogbones axles and cups.

You might want to try softer shock oil as well or first. I found with my X ss it wanted to roll over easily too. That was with the stock set up. My XL has a soft set up though and I love it.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: wileecoyote

Okay, dont want to beat a dead horse but, Im looking to go wider for rollover issues. With the XL axles I will need to go with the diff cups and the axles also from the XL? I hate how the thing flops over at almost every turn. Or am I missing something? Oh yeah, its a Savage with the 25 in it. So a fairly older one. I got the axles off fleabay already but dont want headaches. Thankyou much for any/all info ya'll can provide.
To run the extended XL axles, you need the little spacers, dogbones and differential cups. Glen
Old 08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KID_EVIL!

Forgot dogbones axles and cups.

You might want to try softer shock oil as well or first. I found with my X ss it wanted to roll over easily too. That was with the stock set up. My XL has a soft set up though and I love it.
yeah same with my X ss, i'm running stock springs with 30 wt AE oil maybe some trinity too either way its 30 idk what the stock is... that and useing the lowest suspention point and no preload mines pretty stable but even with it jacked up its not taht prone to rolloing but i'm not doing many fast turns...

the lug
Old 08-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Ball Racing

A 5.9 XL or flux ring and pinion are hardened, and machine cut.
they are black in appearance on the teeth.
The old savage 25 or the savage SS or I think the 4.6 regular X used a cheap stamped pot metal ring, and pinion, that are not as hard or tough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.