Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Blew a tranny.... wth lol

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Blew a tranny.... wth lol

I'm getting a bit frustrated with my truck... Last time I was out running in a parking lot with shoestringracer, we banged into each other a few times and I bent up a shock from cartwheeling and ate a spur from my engine plate screws vibrating out. So I fixed all of that fun stuff today, and took the truck out for a test run..

Not even a full tank later, the tranny starts shifting more heavy for a minute- then 2nd gear is gone.. Now I've seen a lot of reports of modded Piccos eating 3 speeds, but I have a stock Picco .28 running 19/48 with BP diffs, the stock 2 speed, was running street tires and this happens. Granted I was running the original transmission with 13 gallons on it, but still- what the hell lol, this should not be happening.

Its the little things that keep adding up, when I replaced the regular diffs with BP units, I had them installed and the bearings decided to take a dump. I've put over 7hrs of work from replacing the diffs/shocks/random things and haven't even run it for a full 3hrs before having it die again.

Just venting my angst towards my poor savage [:@]. Sigh.. lol
Old 07-14-2010, 03:47 PM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Blew a tranny.... wth lol

when my gearbox blew in my xl recently it was the front bearing on the output shaft that went i suppose i have nobody to blame but myself for not servicing them often enough
Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 PM
BudBud

I am not sure I ever had a tranny make it past ten gallons, but I always kind of enjoyed opening them up to see the destruction. I know you do a lot of speed running and a lot of jumping. You should bronze that transmission, it was a good one! 8^) Glen
Old 07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: BudBud

I am not sure I ever had a tranny make it past ten gallons, but I always kind of enjoyed opening them up to see the destruction. I know you do a lot of speed running and a lot of jumping. You should bronze that transmission, it was a good one! 8^) Glen
Haha, you know- looking back on it, I have given this tranny the beating of its lifetime, I just never expected it to take a dump. Oh well, its part of the process. If its only the 2 speed gear set, then I'll change it out.. If not, a new tranny from ebay is going to be on the way.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 AM
rcnitrohead

Well it turns out it wasn't the tranny, I opened it up and its still perfect inside after 13 gallons... It turns out the spur got loose, grrr I should have checked that first- but it didn't show any signs of being loose except for worse shifting, it was still grabbing fine on the low end. Now in the latest outing, I managed to kill 2 steering servos in one day, what the hell is going on lol... Killed 2 spurs as well, eh somethings not right.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:14 PM
chevymanmike1010
My Feedback: (11)

blown two speed=reason to get 3 speed. Well for me at least.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
brio

RCnitrohead....You may wanna check your servo saver spring. Maybe you have it compressed too much, which would cause any goodimpact to damage the steering servo.
Talk about blown trannies.I've stripped so many 39T plastic gears in the 2-spd trannies running my LRP .30 and Idon't know why. Cou;d not figure it out!So far I've been having good luck with my 3-Speed box after I replaced two metal gears in it.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
rcnitrohead

ORIGINAL: chevymanmike1010

blown two speed=reason to get 3 speed. Well for me at least.

No way, they just can't stand up to the power of a powerful engine and a tall gear ratio- which is what I run.

The spring is fine, I killed 2 MG995 ebay servos, the cheap $10 kind... It was just inconvenient that I had 2 go in one day, but I can't complain since they lasted 2yrs for $20... I ran a whole day with a Traxxas 2055 in there for steering and it was fine.