Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 AM
Phanesoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freeze's Savage Flux

Thanks for this write-up dude.. I just got into the hobby and to see stuff done step by step like that really helps.. Nice job on the truck
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 PM
RotorKop

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Yes but he'll never know that because he's got us blocked.

Isn't that like
awesome?
I dont care if he sees what we write or not. Im having a heck of a good time knowing hes not happy with ''frostbiteII'', it is nobodies
fault but his own. Some people just do not have the patience for RC
Some people just need to grow up!
Old 11-12-2010, 03:53 PM
CR500rider

ORIGINAL: RotorKop

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Yes but he'll never know that because he's got us blocked.

Isn't that like
awesome?
I dont care if he sees what we write or not. Im having a heck of a good time knowing hes not happy with ''frostbiteII'', it is nobodies
fault but his own. Some people just do not have the patience for RC
Some people just need to grow up!
Yeah I wish Freezetron would grow up too!
Old 12-06-2010, 09:08 AM
martin34

Great thread apart from the haters.I have got a Flux for christmas and found it very helpfull.Keep up the good work.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Freezetron

Greetings all! I'm back from my long needed vacation in Florida and I have at long last got done rebuilding my Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" after all these months! Man, it took longer and was more expensive then I wanted it to be, but all things considered, still cheaper then my Baja 5T I had last year at this time lol! FB2 needed alot of TLC and replacements including a full tear down to replace all the outer bearings after most rusted from the snow, full diff and shock rebuilds, new battery trays, new spur gear and 20T pinion from Robinson racing, diff drive cups, new GT-2 body, RPM skid plate and 4 new Turnigy 5200mAh 2s hard case lipo's, phew!

I've got some more plans for FB2 this summer including upgrading to Integy aluminum rear hub carriers to get rid of the tierods that keep breaking, alloy steering arm, lighter tires and possibly a higher end steering servo. But for now, i'm just glad to have my baby back in action and I took some shots of it before I had some bashing fun with it while filming with my new Canon Elph 300 HS with high speed vid, enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysY_YnXU_Sw[/youtube]

Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

nice truck/video
Old 05-08-2011, 09:56 PM
sharkattack99

very nice video man glad to have you back.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Freezetron

I'm also very proud to say that FB2 made it to the March edition of Xtreme RC!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
sparky 25

good to have you back freeze,

your savage is looking great,

been making a few changes to my savage since you were last here, hope you dont mind a nitro pic on your thread lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jh15536.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	1606504  
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Freezetron

That is one beefy and mean looking Savage spark, I bet that sucker rips dirt a new one when you hit the throttle! My flux doesn't look so kick ass suddenly anymore lol!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 AM
sparky 25

Yea still to finish off a couple linkages and mount the throttle brake servo beside the motor,

i took my savage xss and tore it apart, got the flm ext chassis,
losi xxl shocks and innovative rc shock mounting kit, mgt mid tank conversion
new cen gst diffs, alloy hubs,
and have yet to run it since fitting the listed stuff,

guess its gonna drive a whole lot different than when i last ran it,

hope to get it out for a run this weekend,
the lrp30 may get swapped for a picco before the summer holiday, perhaps even a clockwork picco

later[8D]
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM
schleppenbach_chris

i absolutely love the fb2 and this thread those who are hatin on this guy can go get a life of there own and leave us people who are in this hobby just to have fun and enjoy rebuilding and customizing our trucks so when we go out and run with others our trucks can stand out rather than blend in. everything i own is customized in one way or another just because i love to stand out ive been different my entire life and figure why stop now its more fun to be different anyways!!!!!!!!!!!!!! freeze keep it up buddy maybe someday you will come up with a design so cool some big company will pay ya lots of money for your design then your name will be in every magazine and catolog instead of just one or two or at least your design will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 06:18 PM
SavagedXXL

Hey Freeze, thanks for that old to the Mugen wheels. It is still an active link and the wheels are still cheap. I paid $13 and some change to my door from Tower. They came in today.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43899.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1608134  
Old 06-21-2011, 07:20 PM
Freezetron

So my old set of tires were falling apart the last few months and I finally got around to spending the cash and getting some new ones put on. Heard good things about the HPI Dirt Claws and not to mention, they were a lot lighter then the GT-S tires, and had strengthing ridges on the sides to reduce tread roll, so I opted for them this time. I was not impressed with the Mugen rims as two of them have cracks halfway and I couldn't get a good, sealed bead against the trim of the tire, so thats also likely the reason why the tires were being pealed away from the wheel. I think also the cold weather/snow driving made the CA glue brittle. On top of that, the tire taping also came off and resulted in the tires being really unbalanced and wobbly, so it was just time for replacements.

Im back with some trusthwory HPI Warlock rims, mounted up the tires this weekend and decided to not bother with taping this time. I finally got around to trying them today with weather nice for once. I have to say, it was like a whole new truck. It drove more agile and nimble in comparison to the GT-S tires and it handled more predictable in the turns. Because the dirtclaws have a lighter tread and less weight, it resulted in a big reduction in tire ballooning, which made high speed handling alot easier to control. There is less cushioning on the jumps and less mid air throttle/brake control but thats a very minor tradeoff IMO. Feels like a whole new truck now with these tires, and im happy with that!

Old 06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Freezetron

I was also entirely fed up with my bumper support strut screws continually breaking in half and having to throw away supports cause half the screw was stuck inside. Drilled them out and installed some bigger and longer stainless steels screws so even if they do manage to break, I can easily remove the rest from the back side.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:16 PM
schleppenbach_chris

them new tires look awsome and they look to give ya pretty good traction in dirt!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 AM
Mysterious

Freeze, what weight do you have in your shocks? Stock 30 or something higher like 40? I'm trying to figure out how to make my flux land a bit easier

Also, any recommendations for springs? Everytime my Flux rolls the springs on the back wheels pop out of their holding cups and need reseating. Do I need new springs, diff springs, more spacers or...?

Oh, and 1 more Q.... on the front/back tires, do you have an tow in/out of are they squared away pretty much?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:18 AM
RazurBlackz

Amazing truck FREEZE!!
Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

Freeze, what weight do you have in your shocks? Stock 30 or something higher like 40? I'm trying to figure out how to make my flux land a bit easier

Also, any recommendations for springs? Everytime my Flux rolls the springs on the back wheels pop out of their holding cups and need reseating. Do I need new springs, diff springs, more spacers or...?

Oh, and 1 more Q.... on the front/back tires, do you have an tow in/out of are they squared away pretty much?
I've tired 40wt and it makes the truck handle like ass, constantly flips on its lid like a retarded turtle, 30wt is best. I run white springs, a step above the stock ping springs. My rear tires are toed it about negative 2 degrees for stability at high speed, my front is around 1 degree positive for better handling
Old 07-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

I've tired 40wt and it makes the truck handle like ass, constantly flips on its lid like a retarded turtle, 30wt is best. I run white springs, a step above the stock ping springs. My rear tires are toed it about negative 2 degrees for stability at high speed, my front is around 1 degree positive for better handling
Are these the springs?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLZP6&P=M

Do those Bad Horsie shock covers work well, keep everything clean? I'm debating on buying them too.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Freezetron

Aye, those are it. For $9, you can't go wrong for the price for bad horse. Just dont' expect them to last long in rocky terrrain, they get torn up pretty easy.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:32 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

Aye, those are it. For $9, you can't go wrong for the price for bad horse. Just dont' expect them to last long in rocky terrrain, they get torn up pretty easy.
thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2011, 04:02 PM
guys2nv

blah!!! posted in wrong thread whooops.