Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Freeze's Savage Flux "Frostbyte II" build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
wolfie1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freeze's Savage Flux

i have been running hpi tremor wheels with goliath tyres with no problems till a wheel nut came slack and killed 1 of the wheels i want to see how this build progresses
Old 08-12-2010, 06:27 PM
CR500rider

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Freezebyte mind telling me what forums you AREN'T on?
He is on EVERY forum i have been on except for LSTForums. Its a cut n paste fest, every thread on those forums is a carbon copy of eachother. Ya we get it FB, you got another flux, do you want a cookie or something? Build threads are only cool when you actually make some of the parts yourself, or modify stuff, or have some new ideas etc. Anyone can buy stuff and bolt it together.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: CR500rider

He is on EVERY forum i have been on except for LSTForums. Its a cut n paste fest, every thread on those forums is a carbon copy of eachother. Ya we get it FB, you got another flux, do you want a cookie or something? Build threads are only cool when you actually make some of the parts yourself, or modify stuff, or have some new ideas etc. Anyone can buy stuff and bolt it together.
Don't recall anyone forcing you at gunpoint to look/read my threads either

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
sharkattack99

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

Don't recall anyone forcing you at gunpoint to look/read my threads either [img][/img]

exactly i like build threads its awsome what others can come up with, like paint skeem and stuff, i like them and i like reading them if you don't then don't read them simple as that , look forward to seeing this project take shape freezebyte

but for awhile i was running the super mudder tires with maximizer beadlock and i loved them lasted quite awhile on concrete and road cause thats were i drove it the most, and the bead lock hubs haven't stripped out yet almost cause i forgot to tighten it down tight enough. now im running badland on the maximizers you don't like them so i won't go into them, i have been looking at these for my next set of tires but i don't know if i want to go 40 series.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66704.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1483104  
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Freezetron

Don't recall anyone forcing you at gunpoint to look/read my threads either [img][/img]

The ctrl, C, and V keys on your keyboard must need replaced every 3 days.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: sharkattack99

exactly i like build threads its awsome what others can come up with, like paint skeem and stuff, i like them and i like reading them if you don't then don't read them simple as that , look forward to seeing this project take shape freezebyte
Thanks Shark, im glad to hear it. I was starting to wonder if I should just close this thread from all the haters. But if guys like you want me to continue it, Iwill.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:50 PM
sharkattack99

your welcome hell ya continue i watched the unfolding of frostbyte 1 awsome build look foward to seeing this one as well, i mean damn if you can get into 4 rc magazines you MUST be doing somthing right keep it up my friend
Old 08-12-2010, 09:14 PM
Freezetron

your welcome hell ya continue i watched the unfolding of frostbyte 1 awsome build look foward to seeing this one as well, i mean damn if you can get into 4 rc magazines you MUST be doing somthing right keep it up my friend
Alot of other people don't think so and its really starting to hurt my feelings

Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 PM
rc person 577

I want to see it!

good luck and have fun with it.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
CR500rider

i mean damn if you can get into 4 rc magazines you MUST be doing somthing right keep it up my friend
Oh ya i forgot he got into 4 magazines with a nearly stock machine. Not sure how i forgot when he made sure everyone saw the pictures in the background that were posted in this thread........on nearly every forum known to man! Maybe you can cheat some more new parts from HPI for this savage also.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
sharkattack99

ah you just have to ignore the jerks that are just jellous and pay attention to the ones that want to see it get any further or still waiting for parts, (man i hate waiting for parts, lol)

Old 08-12-2010, 10:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Dude, all you have to do is snap some pictures that aren't crappy and they'll put your junk in a magazine. ThunderbirdJunkie has done it; not that hard

i mean damn if you can get into 4 rc magazines you MUST be doing somthing right keep it up my friend
Oh ya i forgot he got into 4 magazines with a nearly stock machine. Not sure how i forgot when he made sure everyone saw the pictures in the background that were posted in this thread........on nearly every forum known to man! Maybe you can cheat some more new parts from HPI for this savage also.
To be fair, they give stuff away.

ThunderbirdJunkie had a huge HPI Racing sticker that came when he bought stuff from that Hot Bodies garage sale. The old lady threw it out

Called them to see where ThunderbirdJunkie could buy another one, and the dude was all YO GIMME YO ADDRESS I'LL SEND YOU SOME STICKERS

Granted that's advertising materials.

Wonder how those Blitz stickers will look on the SC10
Old 08-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Freezetron

Part 2: Shock and Diff upgrades

Until payday theres not much I can do as far as fancy stuff, but there were a few little things I could take care of while I wait for more fun funds! I decided to go ahead and tear apart the diff and see if it needed any attention as well as upgrade the shocks.

I went ahead and took out the stock drive gear and put in the HD version to avoid the mess of having the stock gear slowly be filed away which leaves a helluva mess.

I also noticed that the lower tranny shaft had a fair amount of play in it. I had a few small shims that fit right on the shaft and reduced it quit a bit. I'm also thinking of taking out all the stock gearing and putting in the machined lighter HPI gears instead since I already have the diff apart. More parts to the shopping list!

Done with what I could with the drivetrain, it was time to move onto the shocks. Seeings how i'm gonna be doing a fair amount of jumping and bashing around, I wanted to reduce the bottoming out. I decided up the stock pink springs to white and change the stock 30w oil to 40weight. The white shocks are a nice set up without being too stiff.

Because ABSOLUTELY HATE shock maintenance and repairs, i've been installing shock socks since day one on all my cars to help prolong shock seal life and keep dirt out of the oil. Once again, Bad Horsie had just what I needed for the right price. I decided on silver instead of my usual blue this time. For $9 shipped, these suckers are hard to beat. The only bad thing with them is they can be a royal PITA to get onto the springs as its a matter of patience and gentle moving and sliding them on without hooking or tearing them

30w oil isn't bad, but I wanted something a bit thicker to help reduce the bottoming out on large jumps, so its gotta go

After owning a baja 5T and dealing with its HUGE shocks and messes, going back to small shocks like these are a breeze in comparison!

Putting in some nice, blood red 40weight Team Losi shock oil. I'd put in HPI but my LHS only carries this brand, so whatever....

Team Associated's Green slime is great stuff. It helps lubricate shock seals and shafts, reduces wear and prevents oil leaks. What more could you want? I highly recommend it on any and every shock.

With that said, its just a simple matter of sliding everything back onto the shocks and were done here!

Next on the agenda was to take apart the bulletproof diffs, clean out the light, stock oil and put in some fresh 50k to help reduce wheel unloading and keep the power to the ground. Unfortunantely, I ran into a problem with the first diff. One of the screw heads immediately broke off when I tried to unscrew it. Crap...... the rest of them were loctited so hard I had to use all my strength to both push in the screwdriver and twist at the same time to get them removed. Whata pain, someone in China put on WAAAY to much loctite at the HPI factory, Grr.......

Luckily, the other diff wasn't as bad and I managed to take it apart with no issue. But again, my luck wasn't with me today as both diffs bevel seals completely ripped apart when I remove the bevel gears making them unusable. Luckily the seals arn't very expensive but I am left with one diff case with a broken screw inside it. I've sent HPI an email to see if they can help me out with this. Worst case, i'll just have to go buy another one at the LHS.

With that, there was nothing more I could do until I get my lovely paycheck and order some more parts and wait and see if HPI can help me out. Stay tuned for Part 3!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Would highly recommend that you install some hex head screws when putting those diffs back together.

Pro tip: Heat loctited screws in HPI's diffs in the future to release the loctite.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:20 PM
sharkattack99

sweet do those shock cover work pretty good cause im tired of having to clean the dirt out of my shocks? and were can i get some red ones, lol
Old 08-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Freezetron

sweet do those shock cover work pretty good cause im tired of having to clean the dirt out of my shocks? and were can i get some red ones, lol
They keep most of the major crap out, its better then nothing. Look em up here.

http://www.badhorsie.com/
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
sharkattack99

thanks i think im going to order some red ones
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 AM
stussman

Heat the diffs in an oven first next time to loosen the locktite. I had to do that with the gst diffs.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 AM
jeepster820

I recently upgraded to bulletproof diffs and i had the same problem what a bi#ch just had to use my old alloy cup nice build anyway mate
Old 08-13-2010, 10:34 AM
CR500rider

Looks like he already closed this thread on another forum since one of the mods had a few choice words for him lol. http://www.savage-central.com/module...asc&highlight=
Old 08-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

meh, I don't see the big deal with posting the same thing on different forums. Also, I just like to see pictures of vehicles is varying stages of assembly, since I can't afford many of my own.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:33 PM
MCRIPPPer

yea, no problem with posting the same thread on different forums. it is alot of work to just type a new thread for the exact same subject into different forums. their is a reason computers have a C and V key.

anyway, freeze, nice flux. you should have a nice bash proof machine after this is done. 
Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Looks like he already closed this thread on another forum since one of the mods had a few choice words for him lol.
He did the same thing on RC Tech
Old 08-13-2010, 04:49 PM
wolfie1

sorry you have all lost me with "c" and "v" buttons? i want to see how this gets on i dont really care about other forums having the same thing as this 1
Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

control "c" = copy........control "v" = paste

ORIGINAL: wolfie1

sorry you have all lost me with "c" and "v" buttons? i want to see how this gets on i dont really care about other forums having the same thing as this 1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.