Community
Search
Notices
Ikarus Aerofly flight simulators Get the answers to your technical questions about Ikarus' Aerofly flight simulators here in their official support forum

Setting Up AFP(D) To The Max

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 09:25 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Up AFP(D) To The Max

Guys I get a lot of emails and questions regarding "how does Maarten do it". Well I've talked to him and hes agreed to answer all your questions in this new thread.

Maarten is an up and coming pilot from Belgium. He is the creator of those great AFP videos that you have all seen. He has only been flying for less then 3 years now, believe it or not. He was also the recent 1st place winner of the FlyingCirkus' video contest for foamy flying. His first ever competition (where he smoked everyone else). He also came in 4th place in the glow/gas contest. Here is the ironic thing, he was using a Hype 3D in between guys that were all using 33%-40% scale planes. How he pulled that off, I have no idea.

He is an expert in AFP and now Deluxe as far as getting the airplanes to fly at their maximum performance. He is also an IPACS sponsored pilot and IPACS test pilot. He can answer all your setup and tweaking questions here. Plus anything else you would like to know about him or "how-to's" for AFP.

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2004, 09:27 AM
Doc. insane

Default RE: Ask Maarten DeMoor

That's right! Just fire me
Old 12-21-2004, 09:53 AM
Doc. insane

I'll present my self a bit:

I was born in Belgium 18 years ago. I lived fifteen years between three brothers and one sister. THEN I found a local club where they flew(and still do) modelplanes. I was fascinated from the moment I saw those planes take off and crash a few moments later. There I also bought my first second hand trainer. The plane weighed a ton!!! It was like landing a jet.
Than things went fast, build a CAP232, buy a Hype 3D, buy aerofly pro, buy shocky, lose all your stuff in a fire ... [:-] Than I got to know the internet, DOD, flying Cirkus, OMP models, great people who want to help you to become a good pilot. I was desperate to have a bigger plane than a .40 so I worked alot and I built me 2.4m extra. This plane sucked for my type of flying. I think I just had too many expectations[] I'm selling the plane right now and still looking for an extreme freestyle-IMAC-3D plane. Big thanks to Dion Cini for all the help and support.

greetz Maarten De Moor aka Doc. insane

oh, and here is a picture of me, ( had to show my face, sorry)
Old 12-21-2004, 10:04 PM
mfrance
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Maarten,

I am getting back into flying and I just have to say that you are the sole reason I ordered AeroflyPro Deluxe! Your videos are mesmerizing! I play them over and over again just amazing!

So my question is not flying tip related yet, but please tell me the name of the band or song that has the solo guitar playing right after the William Tell Overture? I believe it is the AFPD.wmv video. I love this song and I can't get it out of my head...

Thanks for your time!

Mike
Old 12-21-2004, 11:06 PM
matt3D

Hi Maarten,
I have a question about AFP. How do you keep your airplanes flying level upright and inverted at the same time? I can only trim my airplanes either upright or inverted to keep them level on either side. Is there something to AFP? I understand most of this beacause I fly real RC airplanes, I have a Sig somethn extra, which I enjoy and learning new 3D aerobatics. I trimed it out so that it flys level upright and inverted.

Thanks,

Matt
Old 12-22-2004, 07:14 AM
Doc. insane

Default RE: Ask Maarten DeMoor - Tweaking AFP(D) To The Max

Mike, I know what your talking about, I lllloooooovvvvveeeeeee that ERIC CLAPTON guitar solo.

Matt, I just trimm the plane at full power levelflight. Than I check the uplines fot the sidethrust. IF this is OK than it should be flying normal.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Ian.W

Maarteen, is that video of the roland matt extra yours? thats Impressive!!!!!!

How can i set my Extra on standard AFP to fly like that, mine seems sluggish[]

Ian
Old 12-22-2004, 10:42 PM
matt3D

ORIGINAL: Doc. insane

Mike, I know what your talking about, I lllloooooovvvvveeeeeee that ERIC CLAPTON guitar solo.

Matt, I just trimm the plane at full power levelflight. Than I check the uplines fot the sidethrust. IF this is OK than it should be flying normal.
When you say you check the uplines for the side thrust, do you mean the engine's degree's for right thrust?

Thanks for the reply,

Matt
Old 12-23-2004, 10:22 AM
Doc. insane

Ian, these are my extra330s setiings: engine: 11kW maxRPM: 7500 prop: 32-16 total weight: 16.9kilo deflection 60° except rudder => 55° CG at 3 cm. These are the things I changed.

Matt, Yes it's the best way to check your engine's degree's for right thrust. Just fly it full power vertical and watch the side it falls to. With my aerofly pro extra I have 0° sidethrust.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Ian.W

THANKS MARRTEN!
Old 12-23-2004, 09:34 PM
matt3D

Oh ok, thanks, I'm going to try that out, and have happy landings!!!
Old 12-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Doc. insane

Merry Christmas !!
Old 12-25-2004, 09:33 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

I heard you had a tweek to the shock fliers?

Thanks

Rob
Old 12-27-2004, 03:53 AM
Doc. insane

Hey Rob,

Here you can find my current shockflyer settings. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Maar...2452036/tm.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 09:50 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Ask Maarten DeMoor - Setting Up AFP(D) To The Max

Hey Maarten how about the black Extra 300S for AFP Deluxe. Can you post you setup please.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Doc. insane

No problemo my friend here it is: total weight: 16810grams engine: - torque: 35% - max power 11 kW prop: 35-17.2 max RPM : 7500
rolls: propwash: 30 defl. 60° on all surfaces.
rudder: propwash: 45
elevator propwash: 55
CG: -5cm

I haven't flown this plane alot, but these are my convenient settings.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:41 PM
MikeEast
My Feedback: (3)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maarten,
How about your REAL shock fliers?

What motor/prop do you use and where is the CG?? I have been flying your sim setup and it is a lot of fun and flies great. I would like to setup a real foamie the way you do and see how I like it....

Mike
Old 12-27-2004, 03:16 PM
Doc. insane

On my real shockflyer I use a Typhoon 6 3D engine with tsunami 10 regulator and an apc 8-3.8 prop. with a 720mah 3 cell lipopack. This gives me a total flightweight of 215 grams.
I have as much deflection as possible on all surfaces. My CG is at 7 cm from the leading edge. ( I'm talking about the IKARUS extrema shockflyer) This is the way I fly the extrema shockflyer from IKARUS.
Old 12-27-2004, 05:21 PM
MikeEast

Thank YOU!!!!!
Old 12-27-2004, 05:57 PM
MikeEast

PS. I have been trying to cross reference it to an Axi or Himaxx outrunner, anyone know what the closest thing is? maybe a 2212/20 or a 2208/20 or 26??
Old 12-30-2004, 07:25 AM
whackinski
My Feedback: (2)

Maarten, I cant wait till my AFP deluxe arrives, I expect delivery today. In video1 from OPM's website, nice job flying synchronized to the music. Tasty choice on the Clapton jam, I thought it was Santana at first. At the end of that video you are doing the most unreal tight knife edge circle I have ever seen. Can you do that with your Shock Flyer?
Thanks for the great info already on this thread. I will probably have tons of questions for you after my simulator arrives.

Whackinski
Old 12-30-2004, 09:27 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

According to the hobbylobby web site it should be the axi 2208. You could also try to give Gene at troybuiltmodels.com a call. He has some typhoon motors listed.

Rob
Old 12-30-2004, 08:55 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Maarten can you help me out , i just bought the Aeroflypro not the deluxe, i am really happy with it but the smeke setting is set to the max on the regular settings i believe the number is 1. I would like to increase the density so the smoke really pours out when hovering ect. Could you explain how to go into the files , config ect and reset it. I got to the notepad part under files but couldnt figure out how to modify it. I ended up hitting something on the notepad and deleted that smoke file. I had nothing but all 0"s going accross the screen. I had to have computer go back to a previous time and reloaded everything including Direct x and i finally got it back working ok. Thanks Bruce
Old 12-30-2004, 09:53 PM
whoover619

I'm not Maarten but go to this directory "C:\Program Files\IPACS\AeroFly Professional\config" and you will the the file called "Main" open it with notepad or wordpad (I use wordpad) go down to where you see "smoke_density" and put the value 15 or higher (I have mine on 100)and experiment with what your computer can handle.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:06 PM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Thanks for the reply i get to the right file and get to the notepad part but i dont see anything about it saying smoke density or anything like it. Like i said i dont want to screw up that part of the file again . I open the file that says texture is that correct??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.