Hangar 9 Edge 540 query

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 06:09 AM
Cajuncharley
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Edge 540 query

NEDYOB:
What engine is in yours, and what is the overall weight? I wonder if stuff weighs the same in IA as it does in Louisiana...is it lighter or heavier?
Cajuncharley

PS The only time I was in IA was when the transport plane bringing us back home from Korea in Jan 1955 made an emergency landing because of engine problems. We made an unscheduled landing in the middle of the night on a snow packed unmanned airport. Fortunately the plane landed safely, repairs were made, and we were back on our way!
Old 02-12-2004, 02:09 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Mine weights in at 13.0 lbs. Im runing a OS 1.60 and carbon fiber landing gear & tail wheel. and my elevator servo's are mounted in the fuse.
NEDYOB
Old 02-18-2004, 11:16 AM
nedyob

Default RE: Hangar 9 Edge 540 query on the correct CG

Hello H9 Edge 540 owners,
As I posted before, I have an H9 Edge 540 with 645 servos mounted in the Fuse. I checked the CG last night and it ballances out perfect at 4 3/8. I know the manual calls for between 41/2 to 5 1/4.

I have carbon fiber main landing gear and tail wheel, OS 160 for power, and the battery pack & Reciever are istalled ahead of the wing saddle. I am going to put the battery farther forward behind the fire wall and see how that chenges things.

I m not ready for 3D set up yet so I set my throws to the Low Rate for Intermediate Areobatics, I will takkle the 3D thing later when I get use to the plane and how it flies.
If anybody can help me you guys can.
Thanks in advance.
NEDYOB
Old 02-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

it should fly just fine,probably nose heavy. mine is in the middle of the CG range and flys nicely. go with the recommended expo in manual and make sure the throws for low rate are the same too. then tweek from there. dont be afraid to add tail weight. made my left stall tendency alot more softer that when it was further forward.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:53 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Definately go with the EXPO recomended in the manual, as well as surface throws that they recomend. Its a very good starting place, the EXPO though is a must, as that will totally change the character of this aircraft more then anything I've ever experienced.

The CG is only somewhat critical as long as your in the recomended range on this plane your fine, but make certain your in that ball-park. Ive built these with the Moki 1.80's and the CG has come out at the rear position on all of them with no bad tendencies. Thats with battery/receiver to the rear of the rudder servo also. The Moki weighs considerably more then the OS. I'd dare to think what the set-up would be with the Moki if I wouldn't have moved the servos. Anyone try the Moki without moving the servo's? Everything I read, and all my research before taking these projects on told me to move the servos if using the Moki...and I found out it was for very good reason. I'd have to do more research if using any lighter of an engine though. I dont' think rear-mounted servos would work with the OS in the nose. I don't think you could get enough weight up there to compensate. The servos add alot of weight out there on the back of the plane.

The worst tendency with these planes is when you don't have EXPO, or don't have it set up properly. It makes that much of a diff in my opinion. Ask me how I know...I didn't get the EXPO right on the first one for several flights, and the second one after a hairy maiden we worked on the Expo, and it's a very tame plane now. World of diff there. Read the book, it's actually very clear on that. Good luck
Old 02-20-2004, 04:10 AM
nedyob

Hello DGRANT & RONDO,
So far my Edge balances out at 4 3/8 (just 1/8 away from the forward recomended CG) I've installed a carbon fiber tail wheel and switched to a nylon spinner up front and still it balances out at 4 3/8.

I can't move the tank back to the middle of the CG because the servo's are there and dont want to mess with a pump or regulator. The plane with battery weights in at 13 LBS.

Im going to move the batter up front where the manual states and see what that does.
If I move the CG to the middle recomendation, I will have to add alot of nose weight. So what happens if the total plane weight is over 13 LBS? will it be more hotter on landings? or will it be alot more stable since the CG is in the middle recomendations.

I have set up the throws for right now on low rate and have not set up the 3D rates yet. I read here some place that the Elev. throw should be set at 1/2 inch up & down, is that going to be enough or not starting out?

Thanks for the in put guys
NEDYOB
Old 02-20-2004, 05:51 AM
Ronbo

Default RE: RE: Hangar 9 Edge 540 query

9/16in is what is called for, so yea, 1/2 will be fine. use the recommended expo value and start from there.

4 3/8in is a way forward CG for 4.5-5.25 in. you will be nose heavy, if you are writing the CG measurement correctly.

if you move the CG to the middle, why would you move wieght up front??? just keep your battery in back, and at least balance it at the 4.5 in first. then start to move it back as you get used to it.

at 13 lbs it will come in a little hotter yes. how it reacts will depend on setup, throws, incidences etc.

just get that CG in the range and then take er up. IMOHO.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:10 PM
DGrant

Hey Ned... I'm with Ron here...get the CG in range and your fine to start. You dont yet mention EXPO though...and it is ever important on this plane. As far as reading the throws and specs here, although we all know what we're talking about(at least most of us..LOL), that book/manual that's contained in the kit as much info as it lacks, is very thorough on set-up/values/expo/manuevers/etc.. I do know there are things in there that are somewhat overlooked, and I am guilty of modifying(yes, see my previous posts), but my experience says the book is right on the set-up for first flights. As long as that CG is in that range called for it will land just fine... It's not a floater by any stretch, but just like most all aerobatic planes, just bring it over the runway with just a tad of power pulling it along, chop throttle, and it will settle fine. If your not confident in that, you might get someone with alot of experience for your maiden flights and some help dialing it in. It's not a hard plane to fly, but it does take a bit of experience. I do hope we are helping in some way. Keep us posted.
Old 02-20-2004, 04:49 PM
nedyob

Hello DGRANT & RONDO,
Thanks for all the help. I'm trying to stick to what the manual says on everything, as I said before I bought the plane already built with engine installed.

When I was checking the CG at 4.5 it was tail heavy, and when I set it at 4 3/8 it finally set level. I will start at the 4.5 CG mark on the first couple of flight and work my way back. I will have to add a little nose weight to the front to get it to set level at 4.5

I have programed the recommended throws in Low & Expo into my TX, just haven't got the 3 D throws dialed in yet.
And I will have someone else's help with the maiden test fly for the first couple of flights.

I have been flying at the Intermediate level for about two years now.

I will keep you guys posted on my results when I fly it. Got to wait until the snow clears, and that wont be until early April.

Again...Thank you for all the in put and help.

NEDYOB
Old 02-22-2004, 03:20 AM
Cajuncharley

Today the weather in South Louisiana was beautiful! I got my first flight with the Hangar 9 Edge 540, and for the first flight, it was fine. The CG is about 4 1/2 inches from leading edge and if anything, it seems a just tad tail heavy. The Saito 1.50 was not tuned in perfectly, as it is difficult to get to the needle valves to adjust them. If all goes well, we will try to make adjustments tomorrow. The total weight is 12 3/4 lbs (which includes about 5 oz. nose weight to offset the elevator servos in the tail). When coming in for the landing, the nose seems to rise, and I had to give just a little down elevator. Could be that Ihave some downthrust in the engine. All in all, it appears to be a better than average flyer, and looks great in the air. The Saito will be enough power, especially after I get it tuned in and use 30% heli fuel. Thanks to all who answered my thread.
Cajuncharley
Old 02-23-2004, 10:12 AM
nedyob

Hi Cajunchaley,
Glad to hear your maiden flight went well. Mine wont be until April unless wee have a freak heat wave. Im still in the process of setting up the CG and programing it into my 8U & 9C.
Mine is alittle tail heavy with the CG at 4 1/2 and the OS 1.60 up front.

Was finally able to get the tail wight enought to balance out the H9 Edge 540 at 4.5 for starters. Found some bolt on weights and used the old tail wheel bracket to bolt them to the tail.
NEDYOB
Old 03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
nedyob

Hello DGRANT & RONDO,

I was finally able to get the H9 Edge 540 to balance out at 4.5, I had to install the bolt on tail waights where the old tail wheel was mounted. I previously installed a Carbon Fiber tail wheel.
So the nounting screws were still installed and not in use.

No I just have to get all the throw set up programed in my 8U & 9C

Thanks for all the help.

NEDYOB
Old 03-02-2004, 03:12 AM
Ronbo

keep us posted as to how it flies when you do. mine is a good 1/4 scaler.
Old 03-13-2004, 12:28 AM
Cajuncharley

After many fights at 12 3/4 lbs with the Saito 150 and servos in the tail (and 9 oz of lead in the nose), I was really not satisfied. Plane flew too tail heavy to suit me. I moved the servos from the rear to wing saddle as shown on the plans, and reduced the nose weight to 3 1/2 oz. The CG is now about 3 3/4 from leading edge. Weight is at 12 1/2 lbs, and the plane is a pleasure to fly. I am not into 3D stuff, but I do like pattern type maneuvers, as I was an old pattern flyer. As far as I am concerned, I have the plane where I want it. I could have saved a couple of ounces if I had used one servo for elevator, with a push rod fashioned with a Y at the end, but I feel safer with 2 separate channels on elevator. Thanks for all that contributed to this thread.
Cajuncharley
Old 03-13-2004, 06:36 AM
nedyob

Hello CAJUNCHARLIE & RONBO,
I was able to cut my EDGES weight down 5 oz and it weights in at 12.5 LBS. I took off the original tail when and replaced it with a Carbon Fiber Tail wheel, replaced the spinner with a plastic on and found a lighter weight battery. Kept the reciever and battery ahead of the wing saddle and it balances out at 4.5 with about 3 oz of lead weight screwed into where the old tail wheel bracket was.
I got at the recommended throws progamed into my 9C & 8U and found out I have a bad aileron servo in the wing. so I will replace those with either Hitec 615 or 645 servo's.
Hopefully April wheather will be good and I can get the maiden fight in. Will let you all know how it goes.
NEDYOB
Old 03-13-2004, 10:38 PM
Ronbo

3 3/4 from the leading edge just doesnt sound right.... but if you like it there, and the plane does too, dont touch it...

i found mine liked it with a middle to aft CG. stalls werent as sharp as they were a bit more nose heavy...
Old 03-27-2004, 11:19 PM
morgan2265
My Feedback: (16)

Hey all you guys who own a hangar 9 Edge 540. Move your CG 1/4" forward if you have problems flying this GEM. Also set expos AT 80 - 90% on elevator and limit full throw to 1/2" up and down measured furthest inboard. This should make this model fly like a Big Stick 60. P.S. DO NOT pull full up elevator in loop , it will tip stall. And fly this plane nose heavy. Also take time to rebuild and re-enforce landing gear , mine looked weak justing sitting on the table. With these adjustments this plane flies great , with instruction book settings it very 3-D ready so becareful!!!!!
Old 03-28-2004, 11:26 PM
DGrant

I do concur with morgan....mine flies wonderfully! With the rearward servos, and Moki, I have to say I have the CG at the rearward position, with no adverse affect.
It is so true though that it will snap with too much elev. That is one trait I don't like, but like it sounds like morgan did, I simply took out the throw on that particular rate. I do however definately have high rates with it. Another words..full throws at high rate...and it is fun, as well as expo is set up at about 80% with that much throw.
I set the whole plane's rate switch to one switch, which is a triple rate switch, so I do have 3 rates to choose. The low is very mild in that it's just like a stick-plane. Very smooth take-off's/landings, this has about 30%expo dialed in with recomended throws, the middles setting has a bit less then the highest recomended throws, with about 50% expo, and the highest rate has 80%expo with bevel to bevel throws...and when its in that setting it's really not bad at all thanks to expo...but when you start cranking on that stick...look out....it's wild.....and a ton of fun... keep trying guys. They do fly very well...extremely well IMO. Good luck
Old 04-01-2004, 12:08 AM
nedyob

Hello DGRANT,
I was thinking about doing the same and programing the High & Low Rates to my triple switch. Just wondering what you have your servo's set at Mid range?
Right now Im reinstalling Hitec 645's for the Ailerons.
NEDYOB
Old 11-08-2004, 09:22 AM
edgeman
My Feedback: (17)

Hi all,
I have learned a lot from you guys.
I have an edge 540 120 hangar9. I went with Saito 180 engine because I was afraid that the all the other ones wouldn't power the plane efficiently. I'm mounting the elevator servos now and I was going to put the elevator servo inside but just like many of you I was afraid that the one elevator servo with the Y push rod would not be safe. I would like to mount the elevator servos on the fuselage, can someone please send pictures or guide me through it.
I’m using rudder servo Hitec 5645
Elevator, ailerons 5625
A standard servo for the engine.

Thank you
Old 11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
edgeman
My Feedback: (17)

On the dual elevator servos mounted in the back of the fuselage, how much under can the servo be closed to the stabilizer? I was thinking on using the path of the elevator push rod on the fuselage as a guide line and take from there. “Horizontally mounted on the upper side of the path below the stabilizer”. Would this work?

Help []