Old 10-25-2005, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 260 or WH extra special

Which would you perfer to fly basic Imac with??? Thanks SD
Old 11-03-2005, 04:54 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: H9 260 or WH extra special

I havent flown a wild hare but its bigger than the h9 which I do have. My 260 doesnt get much flight time. It flies fine, just something about it that I cant put my finger on that I dont care to fly it much. Color scheme is hard for me to see and that has a lot ot do with it I think. There are many discussions on the imac forum here about size and if small planes can compete against big planes or if practice makes the difference. I dont know if I have ever seen anyone say anything about the smaller planes being harder to notice small errors during a manuever. Myself I can see a lot easier, especially at the ends if I am not quite straight and make the correction early with a larger plane. I have only tried one competition and because of an engine problem I had to chose between a midwest estra or a 33%raven that was underpowered. I took the raven because even though I could fly the program better with the midwest there was one manuever that if you didnt see the mistake early in the figure you blew it real bad by the time it was done. I could do the figure fine with the raven everytime though or atleast see myself blowing it early enough to save it, not so with the smalller midwest. I would go with the larger model if its a toss up to you otherwise.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't comment on the WH Extra, but have flown the H9 Extra 260 extensively this season and can tell you its among the best 25 - 27% planes I've ever flown. Mine came out at 13.75lbs with a Moki 2.1 which gives it unlimited vertical. This combination would allow you to compete all the way to intermediate IMAC. There's a huge thread on this plane in the 3D forum, btw.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:47 PM
My Feedback: (106)

I have flown my Extra 260 qutie a bit, and was seriously considering IMAC this upcoming year. My freind is an awesome pilot ( Fifth at the Extreme Flight Championships, and Fifth at the AMA Nats ) and he really likes the plane, but did say it doesnt track as good as it should, but that its a real nice plane. He often wants to fly it! I also have an Extreme Flight Yak ( 87" ) and I may use that one too.....
The H9 is a real nice plane though..........
Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 PM

I have flown the WH Extra Special and was not all the impressed. They typically come out at 16 lbs with a DA 50 and have a fair cmount of control coupling that is almost impossible to mix out as it seems to change at different speeds.

Shawn
Old 11-19-2005, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (13)

Well, my flying buddy has the WH 28% Extra/Brison 3.2, and it is what hooked me on stepping up to larger planes after I flew it a few times. I ended up buying an H9 Extra because I'm not ready for bigger planes than that (storage/transportation space issues) and I wanted to stay with glow power for now.

But that WH Extra is sooooo smooth. I haven't flown my H9 Extra yet, but I would be VERY surprised if it was as good as the larger WH model; bigger just flies better, if the design/execution is sound.

We both will be giving IMAC a try in '06; he with his Extra, me with mine. But I didn't have a space problem, I'd have bought the WH 28% and a gas engine in a heartbeat, despite the added cost.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:54 PM

We'' I decided to go with the TOC 30% YAK. I actually just got it with a DA50. It should do the trick and be one fun plane even if its not great for IMAC.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:18 PM

Steve, It may be that my expectations for an airplane may be different than other peoples. I have been flying IMAC for over 7 years and this upcoming season will be my third in Advanced. What I particularlly didn't like with the WH was there was a serious tuck to the belly when rudder was applied and in knife edge the airplane wanted to roll out. Usually this takes just a small amount of mixing in the TX to take care of but even with the mixing I never liked the way the airplane handled. I could not get a nice snap out of it as well even with playing with CG.

Shawn
Old 11-20-2005, 06:58 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Sounds like you have already bought a different plane. But I have the WH extra special and am loving it. I have a DA50 and she comes out to about 18lbs. A tad heavy, but I'll swap out some parts next year to carbon fiber if I want to lighten her up for 3-d. Unlike some of the others I don't have much of a coupling problem? It snaps great. Clean breaks, and can be stopped on a dime. I beleive it rolled to the belly also. But just a tad. Much less then most other planes that I have flown. It is a very smooth plane to fly. May be it's were the CG is set that's making the difference of how the plane flys? Or maybe it how the incidence are set, but mine is flying great. 06 will be my first year to fly basic IMAC. I'm hoping to do well with this one. I see will be flying in the same region as I. Hopefully we can bump in to each other at a event this year and swap tx's.
Best of luck next year
Shaun
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83152.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	357426  
Old 11-20-2005, 08:35 AM

Shawn,

Well, I'm a complete noob to formalized precision aerobatics. I haven't tried any serious manuevers with that airplane, since it wasn't mine.

It may well have some issues in certain regimes. But the simple loops and rolls I did with it were most impressive to me. Its owner flies it rather aggressively, and he doesn't have any complaints. Then again, he is not experienced in formalized manuevers either.

So perhaps neither of us knows enough to tell what's going on. But if this model is still available when I'm ready to get a 30% gasser, it will definitely make the short list.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:50 AM

Sounds good Shaun, hey you dont ever practice with Eddie B. from around mt. pleasant or Marshall? When I get mine done we'll have to get together, and practice the 06 sequence.
This will also be my 1st year to fly IMAC.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 AM

No, I've spoke to him a couple times on another forum. But haven't ever met the man.Seems like a nice guy. I helped out on a couple IMAC's last year scribing and such. But never flew in one. I'm pumped!!! I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of great people next year!!
I'm keeping a eye on this Basic Boot Camp after the first of the year. Might be a good tool to use to get a little experence under my belt quickly.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3559616/tm.htm
Old 11-25-2005, 09:18 AM
My Feedback: (14)

I cant comment on how the new H9 260 flies, as Ive never flown it. I have seen it up close and personal though, as one showed up at the field the other day. One of the guys in the club got one and is powering it with a OS160. From what I can see, it flies really nice, but next to my WH28% extra it looks like 40 size, ok well not maby that small but it is small. Go with the WH its only 20 bucks more then the H9 260, alot bigger, great construction, foam core wings and looks really nice in the air. Ive banged mine up a cpl of times on some botched landings, and every time the damage has been very minor. Both times its taken me longer to take stuff off to fix it then to actually fix it. When its all said and dne, you will probably spend close to the same getting the H9260 in the air as it would to get the WH in the air.
MC
Old 11-25-2005, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: marshallcowboy

When its all said and dne, you will probably spend close to the same getting the H9260 in the air as it would to get the WH in the air.
MC
Ah, I don't think so.

In the first place, a decent gas engine will set you back several more hundred dollars than a big glow mill; and that doesn't include the extra battery/ignition/kill switch gear needed for the gasser. In the second place, the WH 28% Extra has no hardware, whereas the H9 27% Extra comes with everything you'll need to rig it out for flight; aside from engine & electronics, of course.

I know more about this than I should, because I did many comparisons before settling on the H9 Extra/OS 1.60 combo. I was seriously considering a 50cc gas engine for this plane.

No doubt that the WH 28% Extra is bigger, "presents" better, etc. But it is NOT an easy-landing plane. You have to stay with it all the way down. Nothing heinous, but it WILL simply fall straight down if it gets too slow on final. Funny you mention a few landing prangs; my pal has dinged his that way a time or two as well. Ever since he got his 33% Edge going, the WH Extra has stayed in the trailer.

They tell me that the H9 Extra lands like a trainer. Perhaps, but you can bet I'll be on my toes during the maiden flight (hopefully tomorrow).

WH planes are rather nice; I have the 73" Edge waiting its turn to be assembled. And when I move up to a larger gas model, WH stuff will certainly make the "short list" of candidates. But I cannot agree that a 50cc gasser is about the same cost as a similar glow-powered model. The current crop of "in" gasoline engines, and the extra goodies needed for them, are quite pricey. Yes, over time the disparity in fuel price will make up the difference.

But not in initial outlay...[8D]
Old 11-26-2005, 06:17 AM

But it is NOT an easy-landing plane.
I have to disagree. The ability to slow this plane down to a crawl on landings is one of the things that attracted me to the model.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Steve Campbell

When its all said and dne, you will probably spend close to the same getting the H9260 in the air as it would to get the WH in the air.
MC
Ah, I don't think so.

When I said that I was refering to setting it up with a gasser, not a glow. If I remember rt the recommended engine for the H9 260 is a DA50. My landing mishaps where not due to the plane falling out or stalling, was due to my lack of brain power to thumbs, and trying to land at dusk and I thought I was over the runway. Was not the planes fault. I have gotten this plane to land many times , that it was slowing down so much I could walk next to it. (although I dont recommend it) lol Also you culd set the WH up with a glow, moki 2.10 or a 1.80 and it would fly it really well. So like I said over cost would still be close gas or glow.
MC
Old 11-26-2005, 09:06 AM

ORIGINAL: SHAUN RUSSELL
I have to disagree. The ability to slow this plane down to a crawl on landings is one of the things that attracted me to the model.
Okay; maybe my pal has his CG too far forward.

Jarrod,

When you're comparing apples to apples (gas to gas), then yes, the needed hardware + $20 more purchase price is the only real difference. I forgot that a lot of folks have put gassers in this plane.

My bad...

Old 11-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Steve ,
No biggy, when I think giant scale planes, my mind thinks gassers. On a better note, I cant wait to meet you and everyone else in Jan. Gonna be a blast.
MC
Old 11-26-2005, 11:17 AM

Hey it might be just me . Like I was saying, This is my first gasser. And I don't have very much experence with planes this large. But it lands a lot more gentle then most nitro powered fuel planes that I have flown. Well...I guess except for the trainers.
I had just bought a DP ultimate when I flew one of my friends WH special. It made me sick to feel how nicer it landed. I had four flights on the Ultimate and put it up for sale[:@].
I'm sure there are a lot nicer planes out there then the WH. But for now, This is the only plane that fits in my budget. I'm going to fly the wings off this one in 06'. And see how I do in IMAC.
If I do well, then I will look at stepping up to a different plane.That is after I do A LOT of sweet talking to the wife!!!!!
I'm also looking forward to meeting everyone at the boot camp!
Shaun
Old 11-26-2005, 01:30 PM

Steve ,
No biggy, when I think giant scale planes, my mind thinks gassers.
You know, when you stop and think about it, the models we're discussing are really not "giant scale". Sure, compared to 40-60 models they are. And while this H9 Extra isn't my first foray into larger-than-60 size, it does indeed seem like a "giant" to me; until I look at my pal's 33% Edge.[]

I'm sure the hard-core guys with the 35-40% planes are amused at our characterization of the 27-28% models as "giant scale". Oh, well... my problem is storage/transportation. As it is, this Extra doesn't fit under the bed cap on my S-10 truck; its about a quarter-inch too tall at the rudder. So I'll have to prop the bed cap up and tie it down to carry this thing.

Which is why I'm here writing this instead of being at the field; it has been threatening rain all day. I don't want to risk having rain and wet road grime blown all over my new baby.

I am, however, getting a lot done on my Super AeroMaster bipe kit. Upper wing tip sheeting is drying right now; I should get the top wing to the point where I can fit the cabanes today. So its not a total loss.

I too am eagerly looking forward to Mount Pleasant. I just hope we have enough good flying weather between now and then, so I can at least get the Extra trimmed.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Man, I hear ya about the weather. Yesterday, rain and wind, today nice a sunny, but windy as heck! I need some air time in a big way, if mother nature would just simmer down!!